Re: [OnlineAlpha] Does the upcoming Star Trek prequel increase the chances of a Space 1999 film?

  • kevin putry
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 5, 2007
      Hmmm.... I certainly admire your optimism and I hope you're right but somehow, I doubt that folks will automatically be ready for a Space: 1999 movie in light of a Star Trek prequel. I would imagine especailly not the Trekkies. It was largely Trekkies that ragged on our show when it first hit the airwaves! Anyway, Trekkies from my observation, are way more fanatical than just about any fans of any other sci-fi show.
      Sadly though, if Ron Moore and crew were to get his hands on the show... we wouldn't even recognize it anymore! It would be "SPNNNINO"(Space: 1999 In Name Only!)

      Pete <pete8811@...> wrote: I think that the Star Trek prequel may may only increase the nostalgia
      for old sci-fi shows.

      Bring on a Space: 1999 movie!

    • Darrell
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 6, 2007
        Yes, I think you're right, nostalgia for old TV shows is on the
        increase and will most likely continue as TV execs scratch for ideas,
        both old and new. But as much as I still love Space:1999, I must
        admit I just can't see a major film or TV company picking the show up
        for a sequel/remake, to be honest. I'm defintely one of the hopeful
        ones though and hung in believing Doctor Who would return for years
        (and it did!). Space isn't really in Doctor Who's league though when
        it comes to the sheer amount of fans and their efforts in keeping the
        show alive. But anything is possible and Space:1999 would certainly
        be in the running if someone were looking at the Gerry Anderson back
        catalog of shows.

        So does a Star Trek prequel increase the chances of a return for
        Space:1999? Probably not.

        Daz

        --- In OnlineAlpha@yahoogroups.com, "Pete" <pete8811@...> wrote:

        > I think that the Star Trek prequel may may only increase the
        nostalgia
        > for old sci-fi shows.
        >
        > Bring on a Space: 1999 movie!

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 6, 2007
          --- In OnlineAlpha@yahoogroups.com, kevin putry <sequencer76@...> wrote:

          > Sadly though, if Ron Moore and crew were to get his hands on the
          show... we wouldn't even recognize it anymore! It would
          be "SPNNNINO"(Space: 1999 In Name Only!)

          Dude,

          That axe has got to be ground down to a nub by now...

          :)

          As big a fan as I am of Space: 1999, any new version is going to
          reflect modern sensibilities and production values. Otherwise the only
          people watching it will be us.

          And there just ain't enough of us to make it a worthwhile endeavor.

          Mike
        • actingman6@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 6, 2007
            And with the divisions within S99 fandom over year 1 vs year 2, how much
            worse will it get with an updated version...or a reimagined version?

            On 3/6/07, Mike <cellojammer@...> wrote:

            > --- In OnlineAlpha@yahoogroups.com <OnlineAlpha%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > kevin putry <sequencer76@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Sadly though, if Ron Moore and crew were to get his hands on the
            > show... we wouldn't even recognize it anymore! It would
            > be "SPNNNINO"(Space: 1999 In Name Only!)
            > >

            > Dude,
            >
            > That axe has got to be ground down to a nub by now...
            >
            > :)
            >
            > As big a fan as I am of Space: 1999, any new version is going to
            > reflect modern sensibilities and production values. Otherwise the only
            > people watching it will be us.
            >
            > And there just ain't enough of us to make it a worthwhile endeavor.
            >
            > Mike

          • Ariana
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 6, 2007
              From: <actingman6@...>
              > And with the divisions within S99 fandom over year 1 vs year 2, how much
              > worse will it get with an updated version...or a reimagined version?

              I think it would actually unite a lot of Y1 and Y2 fans... against the new
              show. Nothing like a common enemy to make old enemies into new friends. <g>
            • Mike
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 6, 2007
                --- In OnlineAlpha@yahoogroups.com, Ariana <ariana@...> wrote:

                > From: <actingman6@...>
                > > And with the divisions within S99 fandom over year 1 vs year 2, how
                much
                > > worse will it get with an updated version...or a reimagined version?
                >
                > I think it would actually unite a lot of Y1 and Y2 fans... against
                the new
                > show. Nothing like a common enemy to make old enemies into new
                friends. <g>

                And again, how large a force would that be? Not very significant, I'm
                afraid. For something as expensive as a new show they might give us a
                nod or two, but the target audience is going to be new viewers. A
                continuation of the original in style and content would hardly be
                viable. The show is too much an artifact of its time. I love it for
                what it was, but time has passed. People have changed. Times have
                changed.

                For God's sake, it's just a TV show. Leave it alone, bring it back,
                turn it inside out...as long as it's entertaining, y'know? There are
                more things in real life to be concerned about. This is just escapism.

                Mike