Re: [On30group] Loco's for Switching Duties

  • Gus Campagna
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2006
      Hi Larry,
      Any of the locos you mention will work, and I think they would all look good
      doing the job. One thing I found out is that you really need to weight the
      cars. I used 1/8" steel rod between the sills and got the weight up to 5-6
      oz. You can retard the rolling of the wheels with the (electrical pick-up)
      bronze springs off the passenger cars. Just bend them so the cars will not
      roll away when attempting to couple. I love to switch cars on my Ingelnook
      layout. I'm using the B-man Climax with DCC and sound.
      Gus
      High in the Sierras, CA
    • Larry R
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2006
        Gus Campagna wrote:
        > Hi Larry,
        > Any of the locos you mention will work, and I think they would all look good
        > doing the job. One thing I found out is that you really need to weight the
        > cars. I used 1/8" steel rod between the sills and got the weight up to 5-6
        > oz. You can retard the rolling of the wheels with the (electrical pick-up)
        > bronze springs off the passenger cars. Just bend them so the cars will not
        > roll away when attempting to couple. I love to switch cars on my Ingelnook
        > layout. I'm using the B-man Climax with DCC and sound.
        > Gus
        > High in the Sierras, CA

        Hi Gus,

        Thanks for the reply. When I started out I thought that the Davenport
        looked too small, but after playing...er, I mean operating with it a
        bit, I think it looks pretty cool.

        I decided to use whatever loco I feel like at any given time 8>)

        I want to use the Shay and Climax too just to give them some running
        time and because I just like watching them go.

        So, you have an Inglenook layout? Have any pictures you can post? If you
        haven't seen it I have a website following along with the construction
        of my Inglenook. It's at:

        http://on30center.com/on30/library/articles/lhr//amrr/amrr.html

        Thanks,
        Larry

        --
        Larry Rickert, Brooklyn, USA

        "The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the
        government and I'm here to help."
        - Ronald Reagan