Kitbash the HO Atlas Turntable

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
      Happy New Year Fellow On30ers!

      Has anyone kitbashed an Atlas HO turntable?
    • Darryl Huffman
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
        Mike,

        Into what? Works fine as is.

        Darryl Huffman
        12020 Old Seward Highway
        Anchorage, Alaska 99515

        For information about my new Rock Casting and Coloring DVD, follow this
        link:

        http://www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/custom.html
        > Has anyone kitbashed an Atlas HO turntable?
      • Mike Martin
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
          I suppose it would. It has a simulated wood deck, right? Did you motorize yours?
          For information about my new Rock Casting and Coloring DVD, follow this
          link:

          http://www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/custom.html
          > Has anyone kitbashed an Atlas HO turntable?

          G scale model train Ho scale trains N scale trains

        • Royce Wilson
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
            You could build a gallows or a frame on top of a laid wood deck and it
            would look nice ,weathered. but the problem is this HO turntable is too
            short in On30 except for very small rod engnes.
            the Climax abd Shay do not need a turntable. Royce
          • dwain wright
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
              see http://wrightmodelworks.tripod.com/ shows how I built the thing and made a gallows style turntable on top-best-dwain and lai

              Royce Wilson <roycewilson1@...> wrote: You could build a gallows or a frame on top of a laid wood deck and it
              would look nice ,weathered. but the problem is this HO turntable is too
              short in On30 except for very small rod engnes.
              the Climax abd Shay do not need a turntable. Royce

              G scale train Ho scale model train Model train n scale G scale model train Ho scale trains N scale trains

              ---------------------------------

            • dwain wright
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
                darryl, there are a couple pictures of what I did with the atlas, yes, it was motorized, one needs to take the thing apart and solder and rebuild everything, its a chinese cheapie- http://wrightmodelworks.tripod.com/

                Mike Martin <aa9zy@...> wrote: I suppose it would. It has a simulated wood deck, right? Did you motorize yours?

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
                  Hi Dwain,

                  That was pretty cool, but looked like a ton of work!

                  I need something I can turn my BLI 2-8-0 (my Xmas present!) on. I have a Heljan HO turntable kit that I've never assembled, but I think it would need extensive mods.
                  darryl, there are a couple pictures of what I did with the atlas, yes, it was motorized, one needs to take the thing apart and solder and rebuild everything, its a chinese cheapie- http://wrightmodelworks.tripod.com/

                  Mike Martin <aa9zy@...> wrote: I suppose it would. It has a simulated wood deck, right? Did you motorize yours?
                  For information about my new Rock Casting and Coloring DVD, follow this
                  link:

                  http://www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/custom.html
                  > Has anyone kitbashed an Atlas HO turntable?

                  G scale model train Ho scale trains N scale trains

                  G scale train Ho scale model train Model train n scale ; G scale model train Ho scale trains N scale trains & nbsp;

                  ---------------------------------

                • dwain wright
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 3, 2006
                    hi-It was beyond a ton of work, took 6 months to finally arrive at a bullet proof design and for that I got $600. un aware of any model builder subsidies from the government, but they might be out there. there is a co. that writes, who sells his little manual turntables on ebay. for turntables like the atlas, just glue the on30 track on top, solder wires up and you are set! to make it a little more real, just glue down 2 x 12 basswood over the turntable, some bolts, and it will look great1
                    best-dwain

                    Mike Martin <aa9zy@...> wrote: Hi Dwain,

                    That was pretty cool, but looked like a ton of work!

                    I need something I can turn my BLI 2-8-0 (my Xmas present!) on. I have a Heljan HO turntable kit that I've never assembled, but I think it would need extensive mods.
                    darryl, there are a couple pictures of what I did with the atlas, yes, it was motorized, one needs to take the thing apart and solder and rebuild everything, its a chinese cheapie- http://wrightmodelworks.tripod.com/

                    Mike Martin <aa9zy@...> wrote: I suppose it would. It has a simulated wood deck, right? Did you motorize yours?
                    For information about my new Rock Casting and Coloring DVD, follow this
                    link:

                    http://www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/custom.html
                    > Has anyone kitbashed an Atlas HO turntable?

                    G scale model train Ho scale trains N scale trains

                    G scale train Ho scale model train Model train n scale ; G scale model train Ho scale trains N scale trains & nbsp;

                    ---------------------------------

                    G scale train Ho scale model train Model train n scale G scale model train Ho scale trains N scale trains

                    ---------------------------------

                  • Robert Peterson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 10, 2006
                      --- In On30group@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <aa9zy@g...> wrote:

                      > Happy New Year Fellow On30ers!
                      >
                      > Has anyone kitbashed an Atlas HO turntable?

                      In looking through some old magazines, I found that the Feb.
                      2002ssue of Model Railroader, from Kalmbach, had an article on this
                      very subject. It might be worth looking into.
                    • Mike Martin
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 10, 2006
                        Would it be possible to send me a photocopy?
                        > Has anyone kitbashed an Atlas HO turntable?

                        In looking through some old magazines, I found that the Feb.
                        2002ssue of Model Railroader, from Kalmbach, had an article on this
                        very subject. It might be worth looking into.

                        G scale model train Ho scale trains N scale trains

                      • Seth Milam
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 16, 2006
                          Dwain, Look at the photos posted in the files under BCGRRWY. I used a Heljan pit Scratch built a bridge and used an Atlas Drive to index the thing. Works Great! I got lucky I it can turn 180 and line up perfect. Let me know if you want more pics. Seth

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 18, 2006
                            Seth-Thanks, I'll take a look. The drive pin on the atlas, varys a little in diameter, thats why sometimes they index in one direction and not the other, you got the fat pin!, which is perfect. I'll take a look at your pictures now-thanks-dwain

                            Seth Milam <bcgrrw@...> wrote: Dwain, Look at the photos posted in the files under BCGRRWY. I used a Heljan pit Scratch built a bridge and used an Atlas Drive to index the thing. Works Great! I got lucky I it can turn 180 and line up perfect. Let me know if you want more pics. Seth