Re: [On30group] Re: MAINE NARROW GAUGE

  • Edward Fillion
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 18, 2011
      Hi Joel and Group,

      OK, I have put the numbers together for our Maine Two foot railroad
      retro car kits. For the WW&F I will use the sales of the smoking car
      Taconnet. That is the best seller of WW&F cars and I think a modeler
      would only own one. For the SR&RL I chose to use the parlor car #9
      Rangeley (both long and short versions). Again I think that the modeler
      would only buy one of these cars.

      We have sold 36 of the WW&F Taconnet, only 3 in the narrow version. At
      least one of the narrow version cars was for On30 track. That would
      imply that at least 34 modelers is modeling the WW&F in On30.

      We have sold 21 of the #9 Rangeley parlor cars.12 short and 9 long
      versions. Only 2 of the long versions were narrow ends. This implies
      that there are at least 19 modelers doing the SR&RL in On30.

      I know of 2 modelers doing the KC in On30 and we are doing that as a
      kit. Some must be doing the Bridgton & Saco River in On30. The Bachmann
      Forney sales would certainly knock my sales numbers out of the water,
      along with their wood pulp cars.

      Sales have been in Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas,
      Virginia, Washington, Maryland and the United Kingdon. Many were at
      train shows in MA, ME, NY & PA, and some are to dealers in ME and MD.

      From Deerfield River Laser's numbers we have 55 modelers doing Maine
      RRs in On30. Most are in the northeast.

      I hope these numbers help you, but I think the number is much higher.
      Many modelers have not been exposed to our kits, or kit bash their cars
      from Bachmann and other sources, or scratch build them.

      Take care, Ed Fillion, Deerfield River Laser

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 20, 2011
        The Bachmann
        Forney sales would certainly knock my sales numbers out of the water,
        along with their wood pulp cars.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Ed - The Bachmann Forney sales would give a
        false reading - I , for one, do not model Maine, but
        have 2 Outside-framed Forneys to bash into 2-4-0
        tender lokies for my small radii ... and the Duke
        of Slash & Bash, our friend Alan Carrol, is rapidly
        creating all sorts of critters from Forneys - mostly
        unlike anything ever spotted on a Maine line...

        Doug Rowe,
        out here in sagebrush country.....

      • lner2512
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 23, 2011
          Don't forget California! While I don't model Maine primarily, I have put together a small Bridgeton & Saco River consist--not too accurate, but presentable. So there is a little Maine modeling being done on the Left Coast.

          And I've succumbed to the influence of the Duke, as the photos of my open cab Forney attest. Like Doug, I have two more to cut up.

          Cheers,

          Scott Maze