On20 porter loco drivetrain

  • Peter Sutton
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2010
      hi Guys:

      Sorry for the cross post, but I have some nagging questions I hope someone can
      help with.

      I want to build an On20 porter loco (a la Arizona Copper Co.) from a grandt line
      8 ton porter and I have some questions re. the drivetrain.

      I want a nice smooth running little porter like the On30 ones I have made. As I
      see it I have three options:

      1. Narrow it down to an inside frame loco - here I have trouble narrowing down
      the gear tower. Suggestions?

      2. Narrow it to an outside frame loco - here I have trouble finding drivers.
      Suggestions?

      3. I have a couple of the old MDC HOn3 loco frames (one inside and one outside)
      with brass drivers. I could use one of these cut down to make an 0-6-0 or even
      an 0-4-0, but I have never got one of these darn things to run worth a darn. I
      can put in a gear box and or a micromotor with a gearhead if it would help.
      Suggestions ?

      Thanks, Peter in Canada
    • UncaDuck50@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 17, 2010
        Peter-

        Does it have to be On20 rather than On18? On18 uses 9mm ( N gauge )
        rather than HOn3...the resons being rather the same as the argument for
        HOn30 vs HOn3... The Bachmann 0-4-0 / Dockside can be used for a chassis.
        Kennebunk Models produced an On18 Porter a few years back, but sadly
        the line died with it's owner....

        Nigel Lawton in merry olde England produces a re-motor kit for several
        of the
        Bachmann N scale steamers, including the 0-4-0 ( which was available both
        as
        the Dockside and a tender lokie.) He also has lots of other goodies for
        those
        of us that like tiny lokies !

        _http://www.nigellawton009.com/BachmannCradle.html_
        (http://www.nigellawton009.com/BachmannCradle.html)