1495RE: time period

  • everettdegolyer
    Jan 13 9:43 AM
      Off the top of my head, I'd say 1930's to 1940's. I suspect that we, like our On3 brethren, as often as not model railroads set in the 1930's to 1940's (and maybe into the very early 1950's) era, but not after that.

      I note that when I look at the Missouri outfit's O scale figures.  I  note that while most of the guys either fit right into my 1942-era On30 concept with little or no modification, the gals often do not. The hairstyles are wildly anachronistic and women's street clothes were considerably more conservative back then than the bare-armed and short-skirted fashions that came in during the 1960's.

      There's another matter when I look at railfan pictures from that period. If you look at railfan pictures of passengers waiting for trains from, say, the late 1940's to early 1950's, you are NOT going to see the spiffy models that Class One railroads and carbuilders like Pullman and Budd seated in their streamliners to tout their products. Sure, you'll see some people in coats, ties, and hats (usually fedoras) waiting to catch trains, but you'll also see dowdier women wearing styles that were on the way out 5-10 years before.

      ALSO, we narrow-gaugers share much the same time-period as a lot of of the broad-gauge O-gauge two-railers and many O three-railers. They, like us, model the 1940's and 1950's, and I suspect that they, like us, would like more suitable figures for their layouts than the temporally-displaced folks from the swinging 60's and Gerry Ford's America that a certain German outfit produced in several different scales.

      Those are my thoughts.

      --E. Lee DeGolyer
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic