No TM? Newbie question

  • Sister Claire
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2007
      Happy New Year everyone, first of all.

      I recently installed OmegaT. I believe I followed the directions correctly,
      but... the TM sub-directory in the project directory is empty.

      I created the project, uploaded two small files and translated them. The
      source and the properly translated target files are just where they should
      be, so I can't have gone all that far wrong, but there is no TM and what
      should have been fuzzy matches when I translated the second file were not
      shown as such. (I did save at intervals and create the translated file for
      the first file before starting the second.)

      It is terribly embarrassing to ask such a basic question, but can someone
      please point me in the right direction to find out what I did wrong and how
      to get on the right track?

      I am using OmegaT version 1.6.1, update 4.
      The files were Open Office 2.2.1 *.odt files.
      I am on Windows XP Professional SP 2

      Thank you very much,
      Sr. Claire

    • Marc Prior
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
        Hi Sister Claire,

        The /tm folder in the project is for legacy TMs, i.e. TMs from previous
        projects. Nothing is put there automatically; if you haven't put TM
        files there yourself, it won't contain anything.

        The project has an "internal" TM containing the TMs of the source files.
        You can assume that this TM is present, as OmegaT wouldn't work without
        it. (It is actually project_save.tmx in the project's /omegat folder.)

        Could you give some examples of segment pairs that you think should
        generate fuzzy matches?

        Marc

        Sister Claire schrieb:
        > Happy New Year everyone, first of all.
        >
        > I recently installed OmegaT. I believe I followed the directions correctly,
        > but... the TM sub-directory in the project directory is empty.
        >
        > I created the project, uploaded two small files and translated them. The
        > source and the properly translated target files are just where they should
        > be, so I can't have gone all that far wrong, but there is no TM and what
        > should have been fuzzy matches when I translated the second file were not
        > shown as such. (I did save at intervals and create the translated file for
        > the first file before starting the second.)
        >
        > It is terribly embarrassing to ask such a basic question, but can someone
        > please point me in the right direction to find out what I did wrong and how
        > to get on the right track?
        >
        > I am using OmegaT version 1.6.1, update 4.
        > The files were Open Office 2.2.1 *.odt files.
        > I am on Windows XP Professional SP 2
        >
        > Thank you very much,
        > Sr. Claire

        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        > IRC channel: irc://irc.freenode.net/omegat
        > For bug reports, feature requests, OmegaT test versions etc...
        > Go to: http://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat/
        > To localize OmegaT to your language, or proofread existing translations,
        > read: http://www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat_en/translation-info.html
        > If OmegaT makes you richer than you need, check the Pine Ridge Reservation's
        > charities for a donation: http://www.friendsofpineridgereservation.org/

      • Sister Claire
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
          Thank you Marc.

          I think I've set things up badly then. I have a major client with lots of
          specialized vocabulary and repetitive language. They send me a steady volume
          of quite small files, and I thought the way to go was to make one "project"
          folder this client and then import files as they come. That seems to have
          been my error. But making separate projects folders for each 30 or 40k file
          seems ridiculous. I suppose I'll have to find a happy medium.

          To sum up what I think I've learned:
          * I have to put my existing TMs into the /tm folder in the project, and I
          have to do that for each project.
          * The "internal" TM of OmegaT has the TMs for all the projects I've
          translated so far, but I can't "see" it anywhere.

          Is that right?

          My next question is: Should I actually make a project for each of these tiny
          files? Would having so many folders have a negative effect on speed or
          anything else? If I arbitrarily made a new project weekly, would that be
          better?

          About the fuzzy matches I thought it should be giving - I changed the
          minimum similarity from 80 to 30, and that gave me what I was expecting. My
          author's sentences are ridiculously long.

          Thanks again and Happy New Year,
          Sr Claire

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
            There are basically two ways you can do this. You can either create one
            project, and simply add new texts to it when you receive them. Or you
            can create a new project for each new job (a single job can still
            consist of a number of texts).

            The "single project method":

            If you use this method, you will need to keep the source texts in
            /source. If you delete the "old" source texts from the /source directory
            when you add a "new" text, the segments from it are still in the
            (internal) TM, but they are not indexed for fuzzy matching purposes. You
            can see that they are still in the internal TM by searching for them
            with the Find function, but they won't generate any fuzzy matches.

            OmegaT is designed to re-use TMs from old projects, and in turn to
            output TMs which can be used in future projects. If you're using the
            "single project method", you don't need to worry about this
            functionality, since all your work is being done within the one big
            project. So there is less housekeeping overhead, i.e. copying files around.

            The "new project for each job" method:

            Here, you create a new project for each job. Put the new file(s) to be
            translated into the /source directory, and any TMs from previous
            projects which you wish to use in the /tm directory.

            It's not as fiddly as it seems. You can create a directory somewhere -
            anywhere on your hard drive - and at the end of each job, put the TMs
            which are produced into this directory. Then, when you create a new
            project, you point OmegaT to this directory as the "translation memory
            directory" in the Properties dialog. OmegaT then uses all the TMs it
            finds in this directory. This enables you to use TMs from past projects
            more selectively: you can choose to use only the TMs relating to a
            particular subject, for a particular customer, etc., and maintain
            separate directories for them accordingly.

            Both methods have their enthusiasts and their is some disagreement here
            about which is best. :-) I prefer the second method, as that is the way
            that OmegaT was originally designed and also because it mirrors my own
            administration, but both methods have their advantages and drawbacks.

            OmegaT treats segments slightly differently depending upon whether they
            are in the /tm directory (or an alternative directory that you have
            specified), or in the "internal" TM, and in the case of segments in the
            internal TM, also depending upon whether the source file that they are
            associated with is (still) in /source or not.

            Marc

          • Dmitri Gabinski
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
              Saluton!

              Tue, 1 Jan 2008 13:26:46 +0200, "Sister Claire" <quietasanun@...>
              skribis:

              > I think I've set things up badly then. I have a major client with lots of
              > specialized vocabulary and repetitive language. They send me a steady
              >volume
              > of quite small files

              > My next question is: Should I actually make a project for each of these
              >tiny
              > files?

              For that particular case, I would definitely create one project, copy
              required legacy TMs into /tm, and keep on adding new files to /source and
              deleting old ones that are already done. But that's a matter of your habit
              as to workflow.

              > About the fuzzy matches I thought it should be giving - I changed the
              > minimum similarity from 80 to 30, and that gave me what I was expecting.
              >My
              > author's sentences are ridiculously long.

              You'd probably consider manually creating a separate auxiliary TM with
              frequently repeating fragments; in such a case OmegaT will show them as
              fuzzy matches with lower similarity, and you'll be able to insert them (kind
              of equivalent to DejaVu X's assembly function).

              Best regards,

              Dmitri Gabinski
            • anthony baldwin
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
                Sister Claire wrote:
                > Thank you Marc.
                >
                > I think I've set things up badly then. I have a major client with lots of
                > specialized vocabulary and repetitive language. They send me a steady volume
                > of quite small files, and I thought the way to go was to make one "project"
                > folder this client and then import files as they come. That seems to have
                > been my error. But making separate projects folders for each 30 or 40k file
                > seems ridiculous. I suppose I'll have to find a happy medium.
                >
                > To sum up what I think I've learned:
                > * I have to put my existing TMs into the /tm folder in the project, and I
                > have to do that for each project.
                > * The "internal" TM of OmegaT has the TMs for all the projects I've
                > translated so far, but I can't "see" it anywhere.
                >
                > Is that right?
                >
                > My next question is: Should I actually make a project for each of these tiny
                > files? Would having so many folders have a negative effect on speed or
                > anything else? If I arbitrarily made a new project weekly, would that be
                > better?
                >
                > About the fuzzy matches I thought it should be giving - I changed the
                > minimum similarity from 80 to 30, and that gave me what I was expecting. My
                > author's sentences are ridiculously long.
                >
                > Thanks again and Happy New Year,
                > Sr Claire

                Bença Irmã,

                I'll tell you what I do.
                I do create a new project for each new project that a client sends me.
                (This mostly facilitates my billing process, more than anything else).
                But upon completion of any project, I move the .tmx files to a folder
                specifically for that language pair (since I work in several pairs).
                So, for instance, if Agency A sends me a contract and cahier des charges
                in French to be translated to English, I make a new project, import the
                files
                and set the TM directory (in the project properties window) to my FR >EN
                translation memory repository.
                When I have completed the project, I move the .tmx generated by OmT
                from the project's main directory to the same repository with all of
                my other FR>EN tms (one could go further and have specific folders for
                specific material, such as FR-EN-legal, and FR-EN-tech I suppose).
                My tm repos are /home/tony/linguas/OmT/tm/fr-en
                /home/tony/linguas/OmT/tm/pt-en, /home/tony/linguas/OmT/tm/es-en,
                /home/tony/linguas/OmT/tm/en-es, and /home/tony/linguas/OmT/tm/en-pt.
                (/home/tony would be analogous to your MyDocuments folder, linguas
                is the folder for my business (as opposed to folders I have for photos,
                music, etc),
                OmT is my OmegaT folder, TM for translation memories, and, then, of course,
                the final folder is the language pair...folders within folders within
                folders...
                I've got TONS o' FR>EN tms in there now, so, FR>EN projects take a minute to
                fully load.

                One of the cool things with Open Source software is that there are
                always choices.
                This system works best for me. Other folks may do things quite differently.

                I hope that this was more helpful than confusing.

                /tony

                http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
                Translation & Interpreting
              • Kerry Swatridge
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
                  From: OmegaT@yahoogroups.com [mailto:OmegaT@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
                  Marc Prior
                  >The "single project method":
                  >
                  >If you use this method, you will need to keep the source texts in
                  >/source. If you delete the "old" source texts from the /source directory
                  >when you add a "new" text, the segments from it are still in the
                  >(internal) TM, but they are not indexed for fuzzy matching purposes. You
                  >can see that they are still in the internal TM by searching for them
                  >with the Find function, but they won't generate any fuzzy matches.

                  Is this right? Are "orphan strings" not offered in the match window any
                  more?

                  Best regards

                  Kerry

                • Marc Prior
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
                    Kerry Swatridge schrieb:

                    >> If you use this method, you will need to keep the source texts in
                    >> /source. If you delete the "old" source texts from the /source directory
                    >> when you add a "new" text, the segments from it are still in the
                    >> (internal) TM, but they are not indexed for fuzzy matching purposes. You
                    >> can see that they are still in the internal TM by searching for them
                    >> with the Find function, but they won't generate any fuzzy matches.
                    >
                    > Is this right? Are "orphan strings" not offered in the match window any
                    > more?

                    My mistake: orphan strings are still indexed for fuzzy matching. (I
                    thought this had been "fixed".)

                    Marc
                  • Vito Smolej
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
                      > * The "internal" TM of OmegaT has the TMs for all the projects I've
                      > translated so far, but I can't "see" it anywhere.

                      It's the file project_save.tmx in the /omegaT subdirectory.