OT: Just finished a job...

  • tomaskovicde
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
      ... in 1.5 hours that was estimated to take at least a whole day. :)

      My client sent an updated version of a document that I had translated
      a couple of weeks ago with the help of OmegaT. According to a Trados
      analysis, there were around 2,500 new words to translate. (Note: I
      have no idea how Trados made these figures up but I am sure it is not
      an accurate analysis.)

      Anyway, after I had a look at the file itself I saw that most of the
      text was only slightly different to the original (they corrected
      obvious mistakes which I had already spotted when I did my
      translation), and some text was moved to other parts of the document.
      There were only a few new sentences.

      I was concerned that some changes in formatting would require me to
      change the tag information in segments that were otherwise fine, but
      now that I've finished it I see that this was no big issue.

      Anyway, I still have a few days left before I have to hand my work in.
      Since they want an updated TM I will now have "to clean" the OmegaT
      TMX files. But I have another three days for that. ;)

      Thanks to the developers and everyone who made OmegaT possible.

      Sonja ;)
    • anthony baldwin
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
        I´m interested in knowing how one ¨cleans¨ a tmx file.
        To date, I don´t really understand ¨clean and unclean files¨.
        What does that mean?

        I appreciate any clarification on this matter.

        Thanks,
        Tony

        --
        http://www.BaldwinLinguas.com
        Translating & Interpreting
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
          Mon, 01 Oct 2007 20:13:20 -0400, anthony baldwin
          <anthony@...> писал(а):

          > I´m interested in knowing how one ¨cleans¨ a tmx file.
          > To date, I don´t really understand ¨clean and unclean files¨.
          > What does that mean?

          Looks like there are different understandings :-). I guess, what Sonja
          wants, are the .tmx files in the project root directory, because they
          contain only current source segments and only their current translations
          (while project_save.tmx can contain everything, including old segments from
          files previously translated but then excluded from the project).

          As for me, I have another idea: I use a script (Henry's? Can't remember, who
          supplied it to me, sorry) to remove translation units where the source and
          target are the same: this allows me to find segments that I opened but did
          not translate, and OmegaT wrote them to project's TM.

          Best regards,

          Dmitri Gabinski

          ------
          ADSL.BY снизил расценки на трафик для всех пакетов:
          - вечером и в выходные дни скидка от дневного тарифа 20%
          - ночью с 01:00 до 08:00 скидка от дневного тарифа 75%.
          http://adsl.by/
        • S. Tomaskovic
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2007
            > I´m interested in knowing how one ¨cleans¨ a tmx
            > file.
            > To date, I don´t really understand ¨clean and
            > unclean files¨.
            > What does that mean?
            >
            > I appreciate any clarification on this matter.

            Tony,

            What I mean with cleaning OmegaT TMX files has nothing
            to do with the terms "clean and unclean" that is used
            by Trados and its users.

            The translation my client sent me contained a number
            of segments that were not to be translated (such as
            references to literature, etc.). I decided not to
            remove those before commencing translation because the
            formatting was complex, and reinserting them at the
            same location would not work easily - or at least, it
            would have required extensive formatting.

            So I have left those parts in there, and just copied
            source to target. Now I have to remove them from the
            TMX file, along with a few segments that required
            postediting (e.g., two sentences in one segment, a few
            unnecessary segments such as OLE links, etc.).

            Sonja

            Wissenswertes zum Thema PC, Zubehör oder Programme. BE A BETTER INTERNET-GURU! www.yahoo.de/clever