Re: [OmT] encouraging stats and development news :)

  • Bartko, Zoltan
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
      Well, the first idea was to rewrite the engine. But then I came to the idea to
      reuse insetad of rewrite, so I asked the Heavens for help, and the finger of
      the Lord showed me JNA, a java library to interface C libraries. :-)

      FYI: Bartko is my surname. But you could not know that, since nobody told you.

      Cheers

      Zoltan.

      Dňa Wednesday 01 August 2007 08:40:31 Jean-Christophe Helary ste napísal:
      > On 1 août 07, at 15:33, Dmitri Gabinski wrote:
      > > Wed, 1 Aug 2007 09:53:23 +0900, Jean-Christophe Helary
      > >
      > > <fusion@...> skribis:
      > >> 1) Bartko is working on integrating OpenOffice.org's spellchecking
      > >> engine into OmegaT
      > >
      > > Very interesting. But MySpell is written in C, and there's no Java
      > > implementation so far. Does this mean, that Bartko has actually
      > > undertaken
      > > re-writing MySpell in Java?
      >
      > My understanding (and I tested that too) is that he is using an
      > "encapsulating" Java library that allows the thing to happen :)
      >
      > Also, I think Bartko is using hunspell.
      >
      > JC
    • olivier vasseur
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
        So, who neeeds this Trados thing anymore?
        wrote:

        > http://sourceforge.net/project/stats/?
        > group_id=68187&ugn=omegat&type=&mode=alltime
        >
        > This URL will show you a few things:
        >
        > 1) we have reached our best ranking ever on
        > SourceForge: 194 (out of
        > a hundred thousand something)
        > 2) the "total pages" and "download" figures are our
        > second best, the
        > best having been reached in November last year, when
        > 1.6 stable was
        > released.
        > 3) the average number of downloads for the last 12
        > months (2400+) is
        > 800 more than the same figure for the previous 12
        > months period (1600-)
        >

        > Currently, Didier, Tiago and Bartko are working on
        > new features that
        > are bound to interest you:
        >
        > 1) Bartko is working on integrating OpenOffice.org's
        > spellchecking
        > engine into OmegaT
        > 2) Tiago will start working on glossary management
        >
        > And Didier is managing all that as well as fixing a
        > lot of annoying
        > problems.
        >
        > Also, Maxym, who had been away for a while has
        > eventually found some
        > time to complete his integration of the index/search
        > engine that is
        > Lucene, into OmegaT.
        >
        > The three above items are not yet into the CVS code
        > because a lot of
        > work needs to be done to offer the features for
        > testing, but if we
        > are lucky, we'll be able to test spellchecking in
        > OmegaT first, then
        > better matches and then new glossary features, in
        > that order, in the
        > months to come !
        >
        > People who want to test the bleeding edge and who
        > know what they are
        > doing, should not hesitate to take the code from
        > CVS, build it and
        > see what works and what does not. Reports should be
        > sent to the
        > developer's list.
        >
        > The CVS info is available from Yahoo's slightly
        > revamped top page:
        >
        > It is also available from Marc's official OmegaT
        > page (it comes with
        > new contents also):
        > http://www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat.html
        >

        > Jean-Christophe Helary

        http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
      • Jean-Christophe Helary
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
          On 1 août 07, at 18:14, olivier vasseur wrote:

          > So, who neeeds this Trados thing anymore?

          Those
          who sell it ;)

          JC
        • thelma sabim
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
            Great news, JC. I will mention them in my next OmegaT
            presentation scheduled for this Saturday in Dallas,
            TX.

            Also, I would like to know how to tweak the fuzzy
            match percentage from 35% to 50%. Is this something an
            user (not a programmer, like me) can do?

            Thank a lot.

            Thelma L. Sabim
            www.portuguesetranslator.net
            Austin, Texas - USA

          • Jean-Christophe Helary
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
              On 1 août 07, at 22:09, thelma sabim wrote:

              > Great news, JC. I will mention them in my next OmegaT
              > presentation scheduled for this Saturday in Dallas,
              > TX.

              And don't forget to suggest that the test version is more stable/
              usable than the stable one :)

              > Also, I would like to know how to tweak the fuzzy
              > match percentage from 35% to 50%. Is this something an
              > user (not a programmer, like me) can do?

              No need to be a programmer but you need to change the source. Didier
              will tell you more if he has not yet gone on vacation ! (Ha~ French
              and vacations...)

              JC
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
                >On 1 août 07, at 22:09, thelma sabim wrote:
                >
                >> Great news, JC. I will mention them in my next OmegaT
                >> presentation scheduled for this Saturday in Dallas,
                >> TX.
                >
                >And don't forget to suggest that the test version is more stable/
                >usable than the stable one :)
                >
                >> Also, I would like to know how to tweak the fuzzy
                >> match percentage from 35% to 50%. Is this something an
                >> user (not a programmer, like me) can do?
                >
                >No need to be a programmer but you need to change the source. Didier
                >will tell you more if he has not yet gone on vacation ! (Ha~ French
                >and vacations...)

                From this very list:
                >anthony Baldwin:
                >Is this something one can alter by simply editing something within the
                >java of the program?

                Sure.
                /** The smallest threshold to detect a fuzzy match string */
                public static final int FUZZY_MATCH_THRESHOLD = 30;
                in util/OContsts.java

                You would just have to replace the 30 (not 35) with 50.

                Didier
              • Aznar Jocelyn
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
                  Hi,

                  I told you some times ago that my company may be interested by OmegaT and
                  may
                  do some development on it. I'm sorry to announce that they think they don't
                  need to
                  translate their documents and everything will only be write in English.

                  Anyway, I'm personaly interested by OmegaT, and I will follow its
                  development and
                  I'll do some bug reports and feature requests.

                  Jocelyn Aznar

                • Tiago Saboga
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
                    On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 11:07:56PM +0900, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

                    > On 1 août 07, at 22:09, thelma sabim wrote:
                    >
                    > > Great news, JC. I will mention them in my next OmegaT
                    > > presentation scheduled for this Saturday in Dallas,
                    > > TX.
                    >
                    > And don't forget to suggest that the test version is more stable/
                    > usable than the stable one :)
                    >
                    > > Also, I would like to know how to tweak the fuzzy
                    > > match percentage from 35% to 50%. Is this something an
                    > > user (not a programmer, like me) can do?

                    This setting is in the following file

                    src/org/omegat/util/OConsts.java

                    in line 85. It seems to me that it is safe to change just the number
                    and recompile.

                    Tiago.
                  • Vito Smolej
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 2, 2007
                      During the December ProZ conference in Dortmund I have a 2hour
                      workshop on OmegaT planned:

                      http://www.proz.com/conference/13

                      I'll sure do my best to save the participants from TRADOS overexposure.

                      Thanks a mil to the miracle worker(s)!

                      Keep us informed

                      Regards

                      Vito
                    • S. Tomaskovic
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 2, 2007
                        So it's been you who will be doing the workshop. I've
                        already wondered who's the mysterious person behind
                        this. ;)

                        Sonja

                        http://www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat_en/translation-info.html
                        > If OmegaT makes you richer than you need, check the
                        > Pine Ridge Reservation's
                        > charities for a donation:
                        > http://www.friendsofpineridgereservation.org/

                        __________________________________ Alles was der Gesundheit und Entspannung dient. BE A BETTER MEDIZINMANN! www.yahoo.de/clever
                      • Vito Smolej
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 3, 2007
                          Zdravo, Sonja

                          Ill definitely do my best and wiull probably need help (ill be in
                          touch soon)