help again

  • MARIA PELLETTA
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
      Hi, it´s Maria again. Marc´s mentee.
      After fighting with the computer for a while I managed to download OmegaT and now I am stuck again.
      This is rather embarrassing, but I can´t open the file I downloaded.
      I checked that the XHTML was unticked and it is.
      I have my file (Skye, obviously) in the source folder and I can´t unpack it. I click open and nothing happens. Or does this take a long time? Or am I completely stupid!?
      Thanks
      Maria

    • S. Tomaskovic
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
        Hello Maria,

        Would you mind to shortly explain what you mean by
        "unpack"?

        Did you put the whole zip file into the /source
        folder?

        Sonja

        --- MARIA PELLETTA <mariaelisa@...>

        http://www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat_en/translation-info.html
        > If OmegaT makes you richer than you need, check the
        > Pine Ridge Reservation's
        > charities for a donation:
        > http://www.friendsofpineridgereservation.org/

        __________________________________ Wissenswertes zum Thema PC, Zubehör oder Programme. BE A BETTER INTERNET-GURU! www.yahoo.de/clever
      • MARIA PELLETTA
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
          Thank you Sonia, yes I put the file Skye.zip in the source folder.
          Marc´s instructions say: Move the translation files package to the source folder of your OmegaT project and unpack it there.
          Then he says that if we are unable to do theis "please, ask"!

          --- MARIA PELLETTA <mariaelisa@btintern et.com>
          schrieb:

          > Hi, it´s Maria again. Marc´s mentee.
          > After fighting with the computer for a while I
          > managed to download OmegaT and now I am stuck again.
          > This is rather embarrassing, but I can´t open the
          > file I downloaded.
          > I checked that the XHTML was unticked and it is.
          > I have my file (Skye, obviously) in the source
          > folder and I can´t unpack it. I click open and
          > nothing happens. Or does this take a long time? Or
          > am I completely stupid!?
          > Thanks
          > Maria

          > removed]

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
            Hello Maria,

            OK, so the whole zip file is in the source folder. Do
            you actually know how to unpack a zip file?

            I assume you are on Windows. Did you try to
            right-click on the zip file and choose to unpack it?
            (I don't work with Windows and therefore don't know
            what the exact command is called. But it should work
            like this in theory.)

            Once you do so, you should have your files in the
            source folder, along with the zip file. Then start
            OmegaT and load the project you created. (I assume you
            have instructions on how to do this.)

            HTH.
            Sonja

            P.S.
            I'll be leaving for lunch now and won't be back before
            this afternoon. If you are still stuck don't hesitate
            to ask again. I am sure somebody else will read this
            and help you.

            --- MARIA PELLETTA <mariaelisa@...>
            schrieb:

            > Thank you Sonia, yes I put the file Skye.zip in the
            > source folder.
            > Marc´s instructions say: Move the translation files
            > package to the source folder of your OmegaT project
            > and unpack it there.
            > Then he says that if we are unable to do theis
            > "please, ask"!
            > Maria

            __________________________________ Die etwas anderen Infos rund um das Thema Reisen. BE A BETTER WELTENBUMMLER! www.yahoo.de/clever
          • Marc Prior
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
              What is your operating system, Maria? Windows XP has a built-in facility for
              opening zip files. As far as I know, you right-click with the mouse in
              Windows Explorer on the archive, then you should have an option to "extract".

              If you have an earlier Windows version than XP, you'll have to obtain a
              separate zip program like WinZip.

              Marc

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
                Thank you Sonia, well I did right click on the file, but no menu appeared, that is why I was so puzzled!
                I will check WinRar help to see if there is any trick I haven´t read.
                I´ll let you know if I managed.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
                  Hi Marc!
                  Yes I have XP.
                  And yes, I right clicked it.
                  I have WinRar so I am reading if there are any tricks I don´t know.
                  I went to the temporary folder where I put the file and when I right click on skye.zip it tells: extract it in the selected folder. THere is a list of possible folders and OmegaT appears as an option, but It doesn´t show me, within OmegaT, the folder I´ve created for the exercise.
                  Very angry.
                  Thanks for being there on a Sunday morning!!!
                  Maria

                  What is your operating system, Maria? Windows XP has a built-in facility for
                  opening zip files. As far as I know, you right-click with the mouse in
                  Windows Explorer on the archive, then you should have an option to "extract".

                  If you have an earlier Windows version than XP, you'll have to obtain a
                  separate zip program like WinZip.

                  Marc

                  Am Sunday 01 July 2007 12:07 schrieb MARIA PELLETTA:
                  > Hi, it´s Maria again. Marc´s mentee.
                  > After fighting with the computer for a while I managed to download OmegaT
                  > and now I am stuck again. This is rather embarrassing, but I can´t open the
                  > file I downloaded. I checked that the XHTML was unticked and it is.
                  > I have my file (Skye, obviously) in the source folder and I can´t unpack
                  > it. I click open and nothing happens. Or does this take a long time? Or am
                  > I completely stupid!? Thanks
                  > Maria

                  > ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
                  >~~ IRC channel: irc://irc.freenode. net/omegat
                  > For bug reports, feature requests, OmegaT test versions etc...
                  > Go to: http://sourceforge. net/projects/ omegat/
                  > To localize OmegaT to your language, or proofread existing translations,
                  > read: http://www.omegat. org/omegat/ omegat_en/ translation- info.html
                  > If OmegaT makes you richer than you need, check the Pine Ridge
                  > Reservation' s charities for a donation:
                  > http://www.friendso fpineridgereserv ation.org/
                  > ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
                  >~~
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Marc Prior
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
                    Am Sunday 01 July 2007 12:32 schrieb MARIA PELLETTA:

                    > Yes I have XP.

                    In that case, as I understand it you don't actually need WinRAR.

                    > And yes, I right clicked it.

                    In Windows Explorer, I presume? Or perhaps the fact that you have installed
                    WinRAR means that the usual Windows function for handling zip archives isn't
                    available by right-clicking.

                    > I have WinRar so I am reading if there are any tricks I don´t know.

                    This looks like a useful little guide:

                    www.slyck.com/winrar.php

                    > I went to the temporary folder where I put the file and when I right click
                    on skye.zip it tells: extract it in the selected folder.

                    That's right so far. Then just exctract it to <your project>\source.

                    > There is a list of possible folders and OmegaT appears as an option, but It
                    doesn´t show me, within OmegaT, the folder I´ve created for the exercise.

                    The folder you've created for the exercise, i.e. the project folder, isn't (or
                    shouldn't be) "within OmegaT". OmegaT is the program. The project folder can
                    be created anywhere, and you should put it with your other translations, not
                    with the OmegaT program.

                    OmegaT projects are just folders, but OmegaT can tell whether a folder is an
                    "ordinary" folder, or an OmegaT project. If it's an OmegaT project, the
                    OmegaT icon should appear by it when you you navigate your folders with
                    Project > Open in OmegaT. This is the case even if the project doesn't
                    contain any files to translate.

                    > Very angry.

                    Try not to get too frustrated! Note, this is nothing to do with OmegaT:
                    handling zip files is something you should be able to do anyway, and it's
                    only a matter of time before a customer sends you one.

                    > Thanks for being there on a Sunday morning!!!

                    Thank a certain customer of mine for that. :-(

                    Marc
                  • MARIA PELLETTA
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
                      Thank you Marc and Sonia.

                      Done!!

                      I was looking for the project folder in OmegaT
                      How do people with under-fives manage to do anything!?
                      I had him playing happily and the minute I sit to do something he´s climbing on me. 15 minutes is the longest I get!
                      Tell your customer I am really grateful to him too.
                      You might hear from me again after 8pm. Now I am off to kick the football and dry my tears!
                      Did everyone else manage?!

                      Maria