Re: [OmT] User oriented (re ?) organization of the OmegaT project

  • Marc Prior
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 1, 2007
      Am Freitag 01 Juni 2007 06:56 schrieb Jean-Christophe Helary:

      > 1) the creation of a discussion list for users who also want to begin
      programming to learn a language and write simple tools related to OmegaT
      workflows.

      I like that idea - it reminds me of the OmegaTK project. :-)

      > 3) moving this user list to SourceForge.

      Personally, I think the advantages of staying with Yahoo! outweigh the
      disadvantages. Besides the benefits of Yahoo! that you list, there is one
      major benefit, and that is that Yahoo! groups are familiar to most people.
      Joining a new Yahoo! list does not therefore require getting to grips with
      any new technology - it's all familiar. SF is unfamiliar to most people and
      to non-techie users, it can be intimidating. Having said that, it's your
      decision and if you want to move the list to SF, I have no objections.

      Marc
    • Jean-Christophe Helary
      Message 31 of 31 , Jun 5, 2007
        Thelma,

        On 5 juin 07, at 23:39, thelma sabim wrote:

        > JC,
        > The first link returned an error and the second looked
        > fine. I also try to open the omegat-issues malining
        > list and got an error message (500-Internal Server
        > Error)... maybe it was under maintenance (?).

        It may be because the URL was not on one line:

        ==beginning of link==
        http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=omegat-
        development
        ==end of link==

        > Still, my question is: how much consideration have you
        > given to Google groups as an alternative to Yahoo
        > groups?

        I use Google for the OmegaT Japanese group and it is indeed pretty good.

        > I do not know the technical issues related to moving
        > the OmegaT users group to SourceForge, and I am only
        > recommending that we do not overlook the Google
        > alternative.

        I understand that. One of the benefit from using SourceForge over
        anything else is that the user list activity is taken into account
        when the project activity is computed.

        An active project is more likely to attract the attention of fellow
        developers or of the SourceForge staff for promotional aspects.

        Besides for that, using SF would put the list into a stable and
        neutral harbor. The project would be the roof, and even if
        technically I'd still be managing the list it would appear more like
        a project list than like a list owned by an individual. I think it is
        better in the long term.

        > The only reason I have bothered to make any comments
        > at all is because the one outstanding thing about
        > OmegaT that sets it apart from everything else is that
        > we (the users) can get answers to questions.

        Thank you for that comment. And I promise you I won't do anything
        that is not carefully considered. I am not planning to highjack the
        list :) I am just trying to see what is the long term best interest
        of the users as a whole.

        Besides, I think it would be nice if an OmegaT forum were opened on
        Proz. There would be a huge number of members there too and I know a
        lot of our more active participants are also on Proz.

        Anybody would care to check how to set such a group there ?

        Jean-Christophe