RE: [OmT] PowerPoint layout suggestions?

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
      -----Original Message-----
      Patrick Eaton
      >Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 9:26 PM
      >To: OmegaT@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [OmT] PowerPoint layout suggestions?

      >> >For obvious reasons, this would need to be corrected before I could
      >> >start an OmegaT translation session, but;
      >>
      >> Depends what kind of breaks they are.
      >>
      >> Have you actually checked in OmegaT?
      >
      >Yes, of course. Although some of the document can be translated in
      >OmegaT as is, it looks like slightly more than half will need to have
      >those hard returns removed. Unfortunately, removing the hard returns
      >causes the layout change I mentioned in (2) of my previous message,
      >which would mean that I would presumably need to redo about half of
      >the layout after the translation--unless someone can suggest a clever
      >way to eliminate the returns in (1) and work around (2).

      Then, instead of removing the hard returns, replace them with soft returns.
      Position at the end of the line, hit delete, then Shift+Return.
      That shouldn't change the layout.

      You will get a tag for each soft return in OmegaT.

      Didier
    • thelma sabim
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
        Hello All,
        PowerPoint formatting does not help any CAT tools to
        deliver a good formatted target text.

        It is not just the text box problem -- as it was
        mentioned here -- but sometimes the slides have
        embedded text or graphic -- usually from spreadsheet
        -- and that part cannot be imported by the CAT tool.
        So, after exporting the target back to PowerPoint the
        translator has to go over (slide by slide) to
        translate within PowerPoint.

        I am proofing a PowerPoint file that was translated in
        DejaVu and the labor of fixing the layout is very
        intense. However, in this DV job, the text box was not
        a problem - I had to insert soft returns to adjust the
        text around the images and reduze fonts because the
        expanded text in Portuguese. The big problem was the
        embedded text.

        I never handled PPT files in Trados, so I cannot say
        much about it. SDLX does similar job as DV, so when it
        comes to PPT slides, the CAT tool performance is
        mainly based on how the slides were 'generated', I
        mean, their formatting.

        Regards,
        Thelma L. Sabim
        www.portuguesetranslator.net