Presentation for the Indian Translator

  • gita_madhu
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
      --- In OmegaT@yahoogroups.com, Marc Prior <mail@m...> wrote:
      > Gita,
      >
      > What is the subject of your workshop?
      >
      > Are the translators you will be speaking to likely to translate
      to/from Indian
      > languages, i.e. languages requiring Brahmi scripts? OmegaT doesn't
      support
      > these scripts at the moment, although I am hoping that that will
      change at
      > some stage.
      >
      > The best presentation you can give is one from your own
      experience. Have you
      > managed to get OmegaT to work to your satisfaction?
      >
      > Marc
      Marc,
      You know that I could not use Omega T but many Indians are more
      computer and software savvy than an old fuddy duddy like me.
      I can of course print out the web page of Omega T and keep it as a
      display but I thought if you want to have an Indian market you can
      compose a rough presentation as a seller (The advantages, the low
      cost, etc)
      Many Indian translators are working between English and the various
      European languages and most don't get much time at a computer and
      especially the internet. but this picture is changing in fast
      dissolves like an action film!
      I grabbed hold of the proz powwow chance (I have been allowed to
      hold it for free thanks to the generosity of Henry, founder of proz)
      and I want to use this opportunity to bring many issues up and also
      to introduce the young ones who are entering the field to all that
      is available.
      If you get in touch with me at my email address I can send you my
      back ground paper or at least the rough sketch.
      Warmest (literally- it's hot out here)
      Gita
    • Marc Prior
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
        Gita,

        We do indeed want to tap the Indian market. So far, I have concentrated on
        finding Indian developers to help us make OmegaT Brahmi-friendly (and so far,
        without success). Perhaps if Indian translators saw the benefits for European
        languages, there would be more interest in adapting it for Indian ones.
        However, I think it is very difficult to get the benefits of OmegaT across
        without demonstrating it.

        Marc