0x1f in Trados TMX

  • Jean-Christophe Helary
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
      Charles,

      As Yves suggested, I used a binary editor to remove all the 0x1f
      instances of your files and it seems to open properly now.

      I'll put it back to your ftp server.

      JC

      On 31 août 06, at 22:59, Yves Savourel wrote:

      >> How do I search for it or identify it? Would it
      >> be connected to every ASCII space in the document?
      >> If so, how could I rid the file of it?
      >
      > Good points :)
      >
      > The fastest way would be to use a binary editor like Frhed (if you
      > are on Windows)
      > (http://www.rs.e-technik.tu-darmstadt.de/applets/frhed156.zip) or
      > something similar.
      > They allow you to do binary Search and Replace
      >
      > Come to think of it, Olifant (the "old" one: http://
      > www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html) has an option
      > "Search and
      > replace invalid chars" to load TMX files. You could try that too.
      > But it requires .NET, while frhed is self-contained you don't even
      > need to install it.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > -yves

      > ~~~~~~~
      > IRC channel: irc://irc.freenode.net/omegat
      > For bug reports, feature requests, OmegaT test versions etc...
      > Go to: http://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat/
      > To localize OmegaT to your language, or proofread existing
      > translations,
      > read: http://www.omegat.org/omegat/translation-info.html
      > If OmegaT makes you richer than you need, check the Pine Ridge
      > Reservation's
      > charities for a donation: http://
      > www.friendsofpineridgereservation.org/

      Jean-Christophe Helary
    • Jean-Christophe Helary
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
        On 31 août 06, at 21:30, Charles Aschmann wrote:

        > It was my understanding that recent versions of OmegaT would parse
        > Trados TMX. However, I found first that the source language was
        > misinterpreted (along with the above error) until I made a change
        > in the
        > header of the TMX file (changing adminlang="EN-US" to adminlang="JA",
        > even though the source language setting was always srclang="JA"). I
        > cannot figure out how to deal with the above error, so any help
        > would be
        > greatly appreciated.

        Charles,

        OmegaT has adopted a system for TU matches when the project language
        code and the TMX language code do not exactly match.

        You should check the language code of your project (in Project >
        Properties) and see if it matches the <tuv lang=___> part.

        Jean-Christophe Helary
      • Charles Aschmann
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
          Thanks to Jean-Christophe and Yves.

          I am greatly enlightened about this whole process now. One question,
          since I am new to binary editing. Do you have a suggestion for a good
          editor that I can use, since I will be cleaning up a lot of Trados
          memories to get them into OmegaT, preferably one that does not contain
          adware or spyware.

          Charles Aschmann
          cals@...

          Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
          > Charles,
          >
          > As Yves suggested, I used a binary editor to remove all the 0x1f
          > instances of your files and it seems to open properly now.
          >
          > I'll put it back to your ftp server.
          >
          > JC
          >
          > On 31 août 06, at 22:59, Yves Savourel wrote:
          >

          >>> How do I search for it or identify it? Would it
          >>> be connected to every ASCII space in the document?
          >>> If so, how could I rid the file of it?
          >>>
          >> Good points :)
          >>
          >> The fastest way would be to use a binary editor like Frhed (if you
          >> are on Windows)
          >> (http://www.rs.e-technik.tu-darmstadt.de/applets/frhed156.zip) or
          >> something similar.
          >> They allow you to do binary Search and Replace
          >>
          >> Come to think of it, Olifant (the "old" one: http://
          >> www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html) has an option
          >> "Search and
          >> replace invalid chars" to load TMX files. You could try that too.
          >> But it requires .NET, while frhed is self-contained you don't even
          >> need to install it.
          >>
          >> Cheers,
          >> -yves
          >>

          >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          >> ~~~~~~~
          >> IRC channel: irc://irc.freenode.net/omegat
          >> For bug reports, feature requests, OmegaT test versions etc...
          >> Go to: http://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat/
          >> To localize OmegaT to your language, or proofread existing
          >> translations,
          >> read: http://www.omegat.org/omegat/translation-info.html
          >> If OmegaT makes you richer than you need, check the Pine Ridge
          >> Reservation's
          >> charities for a donation: http://
          >> www.friendsofpineridgereservation.org/
          >>

          > Jean-Christophe Helary
          >

          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          > IRC channel: irc://irc.freenode.net/omegat
          > For bug reports, feature requests, OmegaT test versions etc...
          > Go to: http://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat/
          > To localize OmegaT to your language, or proofread existing translations,
          > read: http://www.omegat.org/omegat/translation-info.html
          > If OmegaT makes you richer than you need, check the Pine Ridge Reservation's
          > charities for a donation: http://www.friendsofpineridgereservation.org/

          Charles Aschmann
          Charles Aschmann Language Services
          Japanese <=> English Translations and Translation Related Services
          5360 Saint Davids Church Road
          Fort Valley, Virginia 22652
          Phone: 540-933-6728
          FAX: 540-933-6729
          e-mail: cals@...
        • Jean-Christophe Helary
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
            On 1 sept. 06, at 22:36, Charles Aschmann wrote:

            > Thanks to Jean-Christophe and Yves.
            >
            > I am greatly enlightened about this whole process now. One question,
            > since I am new to binary editing.

            I was new to it 4 hours ago :)

            > Do you have a suggestion for a good
            > editor that I can use, since I will be cleaning up a lot of Trados
            > memories to get them into OmegaT, preferably one that does not contain
            > adware or spyware.

            I don't know for Windows since I work on Mac.

            Yves suggested:

            > The fastest way would be to use a binary editor like Frhed (if you
            > are on Windows)
            > (http://www.rs.e-technik.tu-darmstadt.de/applets/frhed156.zip) or
            > something similar.
            > They allow you to do binary Search and Replace

            Why not give it a try ?

            Good luck for the rest !

            JC
          • Henry Pijffers
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
              Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

              > On 31 août 06, at 21:30, Charles Aschmann wrote:
              >
              >> It was my understanding that recent versions of OmegaT would parse
              >> Trados TMX. However, I found first that the source language was
              >> misinterpreted (along with the above error) until I made a change
              >> in the
              >> header of the TMX file (changing adminlang="EN-US" to adminlang="JA",
              >> even though the source language setting was always srclang="JA"). I
              >> cannot figure out how to deal with the above error, so any help
              >> would be
              >> greatly appreciated.
              >
              > Charles,
              >
              > OmegaT has adopted a system for TU matches when the project language
              > code and the TMX language code do not exactly match.
              >
              > You should check the language code of your project (in Project >
              > Properties) and see if it matches the <tuv lang=___> part.

              Note that Charles talked about changing the admin language. However,
              OmegaT completely ignores the admin language, since it's only
              important for things such as properties and comments, which aren't
              interpreted by OmegaT.

              Henry