Re: [OmegaT] Glossary - subjects

  • Marc Prior
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
      Sabine,

      > as you know we started a glossary-project. What now would be very important
      to know: is there some kind of plan for OmegaT to have subjects included in
      the glossaries? <

      It hasn't been discussed, and in fact Keith only added the third column in
      the glossary format relatively recently.

      You might want to look into the TBX specification.

      Marc
    • Marc Prior
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
        I'm currently in the process of gathering all the information I can find on
        OmegaT and compiling it in one large reference manual. This manual is
        intended to supplement the existing on-screen Help texts in OmegaT, not to
        replace them.

        This is a time-consuming job. Is anyone interested in taking over some of the
        other documentation work? I'd be happy to hand over the tasks:

        a) of keeping the Help texts up to date (and it would be better if these were
        maintained by someone with *less* technical knowledge of OmegaT, and with
        Windows rather than Linux)

        b) of co-ordinating the localization of OmegaT. This mainly involves
        explaining to volunteer translators what's involved (or directing them to the
        documentation), making sure that two people aren't translating the same
        language at once, helping them with compilation, etc.

        Any volunteers?

        Marc
      • Sabine Cretella
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2004
          Hi Marc,

          thank you for the hint. What I found on the lisa.org website is the
          specification of tmx istelf - I did not find a subject list and now I
          tried to contact them to find out if there is one I just did not see or
          if it is up to "anyone" to create the own list.

          DV works with Devey - just too complicated. Steven Marzuola passed
          better list (to my opinion) to all DV users - I asked him if I could use
          it - so I just put it online and modified the numbering in order to have
          some more space to insert other subjects.

          You can have a look here:
          http://wiki.wesolveitnet.com/wakka.php?wakka=ClassificationOfTermsMultilingual^

          I'm going to insert additional subjects and translations asap - like
          always: it is hardly impossible to do everything at once :-))

          Hmmm ... as for OmegaT - maybe we should leave the name of the subject
          instead of the number - this means just to add another column and have

          Source - Target - Subject - Subject code

          Ciao, Sabine

          Marc Prior wrote:

          > Sabine,
          >
          > > as you know we started a glossary-project. What now would be very
          > important
          > to know: is there some kind of plan for OmegaT to have subjects
          > included in
          > the glossaries? <
          >
          > It hasn't been discussed, and in fact Keith only added the third
          > column in
          > the glossary format relatively recently.
          >
          > You might want to look into the TBX specification.
          >
          > Marc

        • Marc Prior
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3, 2004
            Hi Sabine,

            > thank you for the hint. What I found on the lisa.org website is the
            specification of tmx istelf - I did not find a subject list <

            You need to check the specification of TBX, not TMX. Since TBX is the
            specification for a glossary format, it may have a data field for a subject
            code. Or it may not. I don't know, it was just a hunch.

            > Hmmm ... as for OmegaT - maybe we should leave the name of the subject
            instead of the number <

            I would really like to see the .tab format abandoned altogether. It's a
            nuisance to support.

            Marc
          • Sabine Cretella
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2004
              Sorry Marc,

              when I wrote, I misspelled ...

              > > thank you for the hint. What I found on the lisa.org website is the
              > specification of tmx istelf - I did not find a subject list <
              >
              > You need to check the specification of TBX, not TMX. Since TBX is the
              > specification for a glossary format, it may have a data field for a
              > subject
              > code. Or it may not. I don't know, it was just a hunch.

              I checked from here:
              http://www.lisa.org/tbx/
              So it was tbx I was looking at.

              It indeed has a data field for a subject code, but there's no official
              subject list - so probably this is up to every single person to create
              the own list ... let's see if I get an answer.

              > > Hmmm ... as for OmegaT - maybe we should leave the name of the subject
              > instead of the number <
              >
              > I would really like to see the .tab format abandoned altogether. It's a
              > nuisance to support.

              That's not a problem - since glossaries are going to be in a table
              format, it will be very easy to convert them into tbx as well, whenever
              needed.

              There are just too many different formats around, so the easiest way is
              to start with a simple table and from that create macros that then
              convert to the needed formats.

              Ciao, Sabine

            • Encrypted
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 8, 2004
                --- In OmegaT@yahoogroups.com, Marc Prior <mail@m...> wrote:
                > I'm currently in the process of gathering all the information I
                can find on
                > OmegaT and compiling it in one large reference manual. This manual
                is
                > intended to supplement the existing on-screen Help texts in
                OmegaT, not to
                > replace them.
                >
                > This is a time-consuming job. Is anyone interested in taking over
                some of the
                > other documentation work? I'd be happy to hand over the tasks:
                >
                > a) of keeping the Help texts up to date (and it would be better if
                these were
                > maintained by someone with *less* technical knowledge of OmegaT,
                and with
                > Windows rather than Linux)
                >
                > b) of co-ordinating the localization of OmegaT. This mainly
                involves
                > explaining to volunteer translators what's involved (or directing
                them to the
                > documentation), making sure that two people aren't translating the
                same
                > language at once, helping them with compilation, etc.
                >
                > Any volunteers?
                >
                > Marc
              • Encrypted
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 8, 2004
                  Hi Marc,

                  - I am happy to help however I can but would prefer localization
                  coordination.
                  - I'm former TRADOS tech support person.
                  - Running dual Linux/Windows environment.

                  Cole