Re: [OmT] Error alert, project won't update translation memory

  • Kos Ivantsov
    Message 1 of 21 , May 10, 2013
      ---Original Message---
      Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 08:59:41 -0000
      From: "Elisabeth L" <elisabethlopesmorais@...>
      To: OmegaT@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [OmT] Error alert, project won't update translation memory

      > Oh, I'll try that, although it's not such a big project, do I need to delete also files in the rest of the projects?
      > Thank you
      No, there's no need to do that. And if increasing available memory
      fixes the issue, there might be no need to remove any source files in
      your problematic project either.

      --
      Kos
      http://libretraduko.wordpress.com
      Message 2 of 21 , May 15, 2013
        Ok, so this is what I've done, I've opened the OmegaT.I4J.ini file and I've modified this
        # Memory
        -Xmx512M

        to this

        # Memory
        -Xmx1024M

        Then I've tried to save the file but it won't let me, I get the message that T don't have permission to do it, grrrrrr.

        I need help, why is this happening only in one of my projects????

        Message 3 of 21 , May 15, 2013
          > Ok, so this is what I've done, I've opened the OmegaT.I4J.ini file and I've modified this
          > # Memory
          > -Xmx512M
          >
          > to this
          >
          > # Memory
          > -Xmx1024M
          >
          > Then I've tried to save the file but it won't let me, I get the message that T don't have permission to do it, grrrrrr.
          >
          > I need help, why is this happening only in one of my projects????
          You can read here: http://www.omegat.org/en/howtos/google_translate.html
          It doesn't deal with setting the amount of memory, but there are
          instructions how to edit OmegaT.I4J.ini.

          In short here's what you do:
          1. Copy OmegaT.I4J.ini from your OmegaT installation folder
          (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\OmegaT) to your Desktop or My Documents
          folder (anywhere where you can save).
          2. Edit your newly copied OmegaT.I4J.ini as needed and save it in its
          new location.
          3. Move it back to its original location (it will require
          administrative privileges, and the system will most likely prompt you
          for the password).

          Message 4 of 21 , May 15, 2013

            Save somewhere else (e.g., on the desktop), and then move back the file to the right location.

            > I need help, why is this happening only in one of my projects????

            We cannot guess without details.

            Didier
          • Elisabeth L
            Message 5 of 21 , May 15, 2013
              Is it possible to send a copy of my project file so you can see where the problem is?

              > > Ok, so this is what I've done, I've opened the OmegaT.I4J.ini file and I've
              > > modified this # Memory -Xmx512M
              > >
              > > to this
              > >
              > > # Memory
              > > -Xmx1024M
              > >
              > > Then I've tried to save the file but it won't let me, I get the message that T
              > > don't have permission to do it, grrrrrr.
              >
              > Save somewhere else (e.g., on the desktop), and then move back the file to the right location.
              >
              > > I need help, why is this happening only in one of my projects????
              >
              > We cannot guess without details.
              >
              > Didier

            • Elisabeth L
              Message 6 of 21 , May 15, 2013
                By the way, I tried to save the file somewhere else, then relocate it to the original floder, but to no avail, still having permission issues.

                Message 7 of 21 , May 15, 2013

                  Are you logged in as an administrator?

                  Didier
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 15, 2013

                    Yes, supposing the problem comes from the project, and not from your local configuration.

                    I send you a private email.

                    Didier
                  • Elisabeth L
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 16, 2013
                      No, the problem is that I'm at work and I don't have permission in this computer...

                      > > By the way, I tried to save the file somewhere else, then relocate it to the
                      > > original floder, but to no avail, still having permission issues.
                      >
                      > Are you logged in as an administrator?
                      >
                      > Didier

                    • Kos Ivantsov
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 16, 2013
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 16, 2013

                          Yes, install OmegaT in My Documents, and don't be bothered again with those permissions.

                          Didier
                        • Elisabeth L
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 23, 2013
                            Well, here's an update:

                            Following Didier's tip I reinstalled OmegaT in the My Documents folder, as this is my work computer and I don't have permission to modify files located in the main drive. I did so, I modified the OmegaT.I4J.ini file to increase memory allotment to 1024M and it's working now! I don't understand why I am having this trouble with just one of my projects (I have bigger ones that haven't given me this memory allotment problem) but the important thing is that it's solved now.

                            Thank you Didier and everyone who has answered, your help is really valuable to help us understand this program better.

                            Message 13 of 21 , May 23, 2013

                              For the record, this is a useful tip when working on "over-secured" Windows computers. Instead of using the default c:\Program Files, etc., you can install OmegaT anywhere (even on a USB pen if all local disks are "locked"), and this will solve the issues like not being able to edit OmegaT.I4J.ini directly, etc.

                              >I did so, I modified the OmegaT.I4J.ini file to increase
                              > memory allotment to 1024M and it's working now!

                              Thank you for the feedback.

                              So it was a memory issue after all.

                              >I don't understand why I
                              > am having this trouble with just one of my projects (I have bigger ones that
                              > haven't given me this memory allotment problem)

                              XML parsing is a complex thing, so it's hard to guess.

                              >but the important thing is
                              > that it's solved now.

                              Yes.

                              Didier
                            • Elisabeth L
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 24, 2013
                                Ok, I think I have spoken too son. Yesterday I didn't have any trouble, but today I've been getting the same problem, even though I have increased the memory allotment to 2048M. What can I do now???? :-(

                                Message 15 of 21 , May 24, 2013

                                  I cannot reproduce your issue, and it's the first time we've seen this message.

                                  Have you tried both OmegaT without Java, and OmegaT with Java included?

                                  Install each time in a separate folder.

                                  Didier