Re: [OmT] Unable to install under Linux

  • Jean-Christophe Helary
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2013
      Manolo,

      It looks like depending on the version of rm used in the distribution it offers, or not, a "-d" option.

      I checked a but on the web and it seems that BSDs all have that option and some non BSD Unixes too but that generally speaking the option is not available in standard linux rm.

      On Jan 1, 2013, at 9:27 AM, "mac_man2008@..." <mac_man2008@...> wrote:

      > I discovered a bug on the linux-install.sh script
      > I run it and I get the following message:
      >
      > /rm: opzione non valida -- "d"/
      >
      > which means /rm: invalid option -- "d"/
      > Actually, there's no "d" option into the man pages for rm. The script
      > calls the "d" option into the following lines:

      Jean-Christophe Helary
      fun: http://mac4translators.blogspot.com
      work: http://www.doublet.jp (ja/en > fr)
      tweets: http://twitter.com/brandelune
    • ymilos
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2013
        > Actually, there's no "d" option into the man pages for rm.

        That's probably because ?butnu uses a rather old version of coreutils: coreutils (8.13-3.2ubuntu2) GNU core utilities

        The -d option has been introduced in coreutils-8.19:

        -d, --dir
        remove empty directories

        You could try to install the latest stable coreutils release - 8.20 from debian sid: http://packages.debian.org/sid/coreutils
      • mac_man2008@yahoo.it
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2013
          Ok, I got the point and I confirm that the currently installed coreutils
          on my Kubuntu are quite old: 8.13-3.2ubuntu2.1

          However, since we are dealing with system packages, I would personally
          avoid installing the new version of coreutils unless it is strictly
          necessary.
          At the moment, it seems I could solve the problem just by modifying the
          script by myself instead of installing some "delicate" package when the
          whole system may still not be ready to accept the rest of the changes.

          Hope you understand what I said.
          So, I would just remove the "d" option. Is that enough or suitable?
          Should I manually adjust something else?

          Thanks for your time.
          Best regards

          Il 01/01/2013 11:37, ymilos ha scritto:

          > > Actually, there's no "d" option into the man pages for rm.
          >
          > That's probably because ?butnu uses a rather old version of coreutils:
          > coreutils (8.13-3.2ubuntu2) GNU core utilities
          >
          > The -d option has been introduced in coreutils-8.19:
          >
          > -d, --dir
          > remove empty directories
          >
          > You could try to install the latest stable coreutils release - 8.20
          > from debian sid: http://packages.debian.org/sid/coreutils

        • Dimitry Prihodko
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2013
            The -d option always gives that message, as long as I remember...
            however, installation succeeds and OmT works fine)

            Dimitry
          • mac_man2008@yahoo.it
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 1, 2013
              Hi Dimitry,
              unfortunately it does not happen the same to me.

              Maybe it is not related to the -d option, however the installation does
              not succeed or at least I can say that OmT does not work for me.

              In fact, when I try to execute OmT from the desktop launcher I get an
              error window as shown in attachment.
              The error messages reported into the error window are the following:

              *net.sourceforge.jnlp.LaunchException: Fatal: Launch Error: Could not
              launch JNLP file. **
              ** at
              net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.launchApplication(Launcher.java:600)**
              ** at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher$TgThread.run(Launcher.java:889)**
              **Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.omegat.Main**
              ** at
              net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.JNLPClassLoader.loadClass(JNLPClassLoader.java:1609)**
              ** at
              net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.launchApplication(Launcher.java:574)**
              ** ... 1 more*

              Is it related?
              How to solve the problem anyway?

              Thank you all.
              Regards.

              Il 01/01/2013 12:01, Dimitry Prihodko ha scritto:

              > The -d option always gives that message, as long as I remember...
              > however, installation succeeds and OmT works fine)
              >
              > Dimitry

            • Dimitry Prihodko
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 1, 2013
                Okay then, why not just

                java -jar <path to the OmegaT.jar file> OmegaT.jar?

                Then add an item to launcher))

                Dimitry

                01.01.2013 15:21, mac_man2008@... ?????:

                > Hi Dimitry,
                > unfortunately it does not happen the same to me.
                >
                > Maybe it is not related to the -d option, however the installation does
                > not succeed or at least I can say that OmT does not work for me.
                >
                > In fact, when I try to execute OmT from the desktop launcher I get an
                > error window as shown in attachment.
                > The error messages reported into the error window are the following:
                >
                > *net.sourceforge.jnlp.LaunchException: Fatal: Launch Error: Could not
                > launch JNLP file. **
                > ** at
                > net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.launchApplication(Launcher.java:600)**
                > ** at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher$TgThread.run(Launcher.java:889)**
                > **Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.omegat.Main**
                > ** at
                > net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.JNLPClassLoader.loadClass(JNLPClassLoader.java:1609)**
                > ** at
                > net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.launchApplication(Launcher.java:574)**
                > ** ... 1 more*
                >
                > Is it related?
                > How to solve the problem anyway?
                >
                > Thank you all.
                > Regards.
                >
                > Il 01/01/2013 12:01, Dimitry Prihodko ha scritto:
                > >
                > > The -d option always gives that message, as long as I remember...
                > > however, installation succeeds and OmT works fine)
                > >
                > > Dimitry

              • Marc Prior
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 1, 2013
                  > Okay then, why not just
                  >
                  > java -jar <path to the OmegaT.jar file> OmegaT.jar?

                  1. The installation script places the OmegaT program files in a suitable
                  location. Although you can launch OmegaT from anywhere on a Linux
                  system, that doesn't mean that it's good practice to have program files
                  scattered all over the place. Users who are not familiar with Linux
                  might not know where a good place would be, so the installation script
                  makes that decision for them.

                  2. If you have been using plugins with the previous OmegaT version, you
                  will have to re-install them to use them with the new version. The
                  installation script does that automatically.

                  3. If you want to launch OmegaT from the command line or with F2, you
                  only need to type in:

                  omegat

                  and not:

                  java -jar /home/user/now can I/remember what/folder I/dumped OmegaT/into
                  and/what the/current version/number is/OmegaT.jar

                  4. You can use the local version of the JRE shipped with OmegaT, but you
                  don't have to download the version with JRE or modify your launch script
                  every time you download a new OmegaT release. The best of both worlds.

                  5. The Kaptain launch script is installed automatically, making most of
                  OmegaT's command-line options accessible from a user-friendly GUI. For
                  this to work, all you then need to do is install Kaptain itself (just a
                  couple of clicks in the package manager to install from Ubuntu's
                  repository, for example).

                  6. If you have configured your desktop (menus, icon, etc.) to launch
                  "omegat", it will launch the new version without having to be reconfigured.

                  7. There has been a Windows installer for years, but Windows users don't
                  say "why not just java -jar <path to the OmegaT.jar file> OmegaT.jar?"
                  But it's no different; you could launch OmegaT just as you are
                  suggesting on Windows, too.

                  Marc

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 2, 2013

                    This would seem to indicate you are trying to run the *Java Webstart* version of OmegaT.

                    This is normally not related to the Linux installation of OmegaT.

                    Didier
                  • mac_man2008@yahoo.it
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 2, 2013
                      Thank you all. Now OmegaT('s) work.
                      Yes, I did not write "OmegaT works" since I realize maybe I have 2
                      versions of OmegaT installed!
                      In fact, following Dimitry's suggestion I got:

                      superman@Aspire-5730:~$ java -jar /usr/share/omegat/OmegaT.jar
                      86261: Info:
                      86261: Info: *OmegaT-2.3.0_1* (Wed Jan 02 11:35:43 CET 2013) Locale it_IT
                      86261: Info: *Java: Oracle Corporation ver. 1.7.0_09*, eseguito da
                      '/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-i386/jre' (LOG_STARTUP_INFO)
                      86261: Info: Docking Framework version: 2.1.4
                      86261: Info: Evento: avvio applicazione (LOG_INFO_EVENT_APPLICATION_STARTUP)
                      86261: Info: Evento: chiusura applicazione
                      (LOG_INFO_EVENT_APPLICATION_SHUTDOWN)
                      superman@Aspire-5730:~$ omegat
                      omegat omegat.kaptn

                      while according Marc's suggestion I got:
                      superman@Aspire-5730:~$ omegat
                      13903: Info:
                      13903: Info: *OmegaT-2.5.5_4* (Wed Jan 02 11:38:55 CET 2013) Locale it_IT
                      13903: Info: *Java: Sun Microsystems Inc. ver. 1.6.0_22*, eseguito da
                      '/opt/omegat/jre' (LOG_STARTUP_INFO)
                      13903: Info: Docking Framework version: 2.1.4
                      13903: Info: Evento: avvio applicazione (LOG_INFO_EVENT_APPLICATION_STARTUP)
                      13903: Info: Clic sull'elemento di menu 'helpAboutMenuItem' (LOG_MENU_CLICK)
                      13903: Info: Evento: chiusura applicazione
                      (LOG_INFO_EVENT_APPLICATION_SHUTDOWN)

                      So, at least that confirms that launching /omegat/ will run the latest
                      version of OmegaT even if not the latest version of JRE.

                      I suppose I can do something more in order to make my OmegaT
                      installation clear. The best could be running the latest OmegaT version
                      with the latest JRE version. Right? How to get that result?

                      Thank you again.
                      Regards.

                      PD: the desktop launcher actually runs:
                      javaws
                      "/home/superman/.icedtea/cache/7/http/omegat.sourceforge.net/webstart/OmegaT.jnlp"

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 2, 2013
                        > I suppose I can do something more in order to make my OmegaT
                        > installation clear. The best could be running the latest OmegaT version
                        > with the latest JRE version. Right? How to get that result?

                        I wouldn't bother to install every new JRE release. OmegaT is designed
                        to work with older JRE releases so it isn't normally necessary. At some
                        point a new JRE will be necessary or my contain useful new features, but
                        I don't think that justifies installing every new JRE.

                        If you use the Linux installation script to install each new release,
                        that release then becomes the default. The version that was previously
                        the default is still on the system though, and in fact if you launch
                        OmegaT using the Kaptain launch script you can select from different
                        versions of OmegaT from the GUI. You can also select from different
                        versions of the JRE in the same way, if you have different JREs installed.

                        Marc

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 2, 2013
                          Hi Marc,
                          thanks for your reply. However, hope you could help me making things
                          more clear.

                          First of all, I would like to know why I have two versions of OmegaT
                          installed. Taking into account that I find OmegaT package as "installed"
                          on my distribution pagkage manager: do you think one version is what I
                          could have possibly installed (even if I don't remember) through the
                          package manager and the other is the one I installed manually?

                          Would you all suggest me to keep both versions or maybe just the latest
                          version from sourceforge taking into account that the *buntu PPA are not
                          updated to the latest version?

                          Thank you so much for your time.
                          Best regards.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 2, 2013
                            Yes, probably one via the distribution manager and one manually. Did you
                            install the manual installation using the Linux installation script, or
                            did you just copy the files over by hand?

                            I would recommend *not* using the version in the Ubuntu package manager.
                            It's likely not to be the latest version, not to have the plugins (you
                            have to install those manually anyway, but it's easier with the OmegaT
                            Linux install script), and possibly to use the OpenJDK rather than the
                            Oracle verison.

                            Marc