OmegaT latest version 2.5.0 released

    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
      Dear All,

      OmegaT 2.5.0 is the new latest version of OmegaT.

      It includes significant improvements and new features.

      The most important enhancement is the support of multiple translations for a given source segment. Auto-propagation still works as usual, but it is now possible to create alternatives to "default" (auto-propagated) translations. It is also possible to deactivate completely auto-propagation.

      From the user interface point of view, several new panes are available in OmegaT (if needed, use Restore Main Window to make them appear). There is a Multiple Translation pane, a Notes pane, when it is possible to enter notes for each segment and a Comments pane, where non-translatable text can be extracted by the filters to give context to the translator. Currently, the PO, HTML and Java properties filters have been updated to use this feature.

      It is now possible to use project-specific file filters and segmentation rules, which are inherited on creation from the general configuration.

      Changes in external TMXs are detected automatically every second, and new content is taken into account automatically without having to reload the project. (Applying content from the /auto folder still requires reloading the project.)

      Last, there is a new TXML (Wordfast Pro) filter, which can be used where source=target. In other cases, it's possible to use the Okapi OmegaT plugin (http://www.opentag.com/okapi/wiki/index.php?title=Okapi_Filters_Plugin_for_OmegaT), which supports a broader range of situations for TXML files.

      It is now possible to run scripts from within OmegaT. These scripts have access to the internal model, so they can modify data without having to quit OmegaT. They can also create user interface elements. Currently, the languages supported are NetRexx, XSLT, Groovy and JavaScript. The scripting feature is a plugin (https://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat-plugins/files/OmegaT-Scripting/), and has to be installed separately. Some script samples are provided.

      The Dutch user interface has been updated to a pre-release 2.5

      The TMX format used has been changed slightly, so the new version should be tested carefully. Switching back to the standard version on projects saved with 2.5 will result in the loss of the new data (alternative translations and notes).

      You can download the new version following the directions from
      http://www.omegat.org/en/downloads.html
      for latest versions.

      Best regards,

      Didier Briel
    • laura.wang2011
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
        Good job!

        --- In OmegaT@yahoogroups.com, "Didier Briel" <d.briel@...> wrote:

        > Dear All,
        >
        > OmegaT 2.5.0 is the new latest version of OmegaT.
        >
        > It includes significant improvements and new features.
        >
        > The most important enhancement is the support of multiple translations for a given source segment. Auto-propagation still works as usual, but it is now possible to create alternatives to "default" (auto-propagated) translations. It is also possible to deactivate completely auto-propagation.
        >
        > From the user interface point of view, several new panes are available in OmegaT (if needed, use Restore Main Window to make them appear). There is a Multiple Translation pane, a Notes pane, when it is possible to enter notes for each segment and a Comments pane, where non-translatable text can be extracted by the filters to give context to the translator. Currently, the PO, HTML and Java properties filters have been updated to use this feature.
        >
        > It is now possible to use project-specific file filters and segmentation rules, which are inherited on creation from the general configuration.
        >
        > Changes in external TMXs are detected automatically every second, and new content is taken into account automatically without having to reload the project. (Applying content from the /auto folder still requires reloading the project.)
        >
        > Last, there is a new TXML (Wordfast Pro) filter, which can be used where source=target. In other cases, it's possible to use the Okapi OmegaT plugin (http://www.opentag.com/okapi/wiki/index.php?title=Okapi_Filters_Plugin_for_OmegaT), which supports a broader range of situations for TXML files.
        >
        > It is now possible to run scripts from within OmegaT. These scripts have access to the internal model, so they can modify data without having to quit OmegaT. They can also create user interface elements. Currently, the languages supported are NetRexx, XSLT, Groovy and JavaScript. The scripting feature is a plugin (https://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat-plugins/files/OmegaT-Scripting/), and has to be installed separately. Some script samples are provided.
        >
        > The Dutch user interface has been updated to a pre-release 2.5
        >
        > The TMX format used has been changed slightly, so the new version should be tested carefully. Switching back to the standard version on projects saved with 2.5 will result in the loss of the new data (alternative translations and notes).
        >
        > You can download the new version following the directions from
        > http://www.omegat.org/en/downloads.html
        > for latest versions.
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Didier Briel

      • Samuel Murray (Ugchelen)
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
          Didier Briel wrote:

          > The most important enhancement is the support of multiple
          > translations for a given source segment.

          1. I created a test project and deselected "auto-propagation" in the
          project properties dialog. I created a test text file with this content:

          one
          one
          one
          one
          one

          I then translated the first segment with "foo" and when I moved to the
          next segment, the other segments remained empty. But when I translated
          the second segment with "bar", and moved to the next segment, the third
          and fourth segments were auto-translated as "bar", and the fifth segment
          remained untranslated.

          Try as I might, I can't get segments 2-4 to have different translations
          -- as soon as I update one of them, and move to the next segment, the
          other two get updated with that translation.

          It's a pity the "undo" function can't undo the autopropagation that I
          didn't want (if I accidentally tell OmT to autopropagate a certain
          translation, and it then overwrites the previous translations).

          2. The Edit menu has two new options. What do they do?

          3. Congrats on this release, guys.

          Samuel
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
            >> The most important enhancement is the support of multiple
            >> translations for a given source segment.
            >
            >1. I created a test project and deselected "auto-propagation" in the
            >project properties dialog. I created a test text file with this content:
            >
            >one
            >one
            >one
            >one
            >one
            >
            >I then translated the first segment with "foo" and when I moved to the
            >next segment, the other segments remained empty. But when I translated
            >the second segment with "bar", and moved to the next segment, the third
            >and fourth segments were auto-translated as "bar", and the fifth segment
            >remained untranslated.
            >
            >Try as I might, I can't get segments 2-4 to have different translations
            >-- as soon as I update one of them, and move to the next segment, the
            >other two get updated with that translation.

            I see what happens.

            (Thank you for your test, it helps illustrate the limits and the working of this new feature.)

            The concept of alternative translation is based on "identifiers", how to identify uniquely a segment. We have ruled out the segment number, because it can change constantly.

            So, what we use depends on the capacity of the file filter to give unique identifiers. Some filters give them (e.g., .properties), most of them do not.

            The complete list is documented here:
            http://omegat.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/omegat/trunk/docs_devel/
            in Multiple translation fields for filters.ods.

            In the case of the text filter, the identifier is given by filename, and the previous and next segments.

            Since all your previous and next segments are the same (except for the first and last), that gives the result you have experienced.

            You should test with something more realistic.

            >It's a pity the "undo" function can't undo the autopropagation that I
            >didn't want (if I accidentally tell OmT to autopropagate a certain
            >translation, and it then overwrites the previous translations).

            It won't overwrite translation that are not "default", so I don't think there is much risk.

            >2. The Edit menu has two new options. What do they do?

            The same thing as the right click options:
            - Create Alternative Translation. When you want to say this segment is not a default translation.
            - Use as Default Translation. When you want to use the translation of the current segment for all default translations.

            >3. Congrats on this release, guys.

            Thanks.

            The guys were mainly Alex, Martin, and a new one: Briac (who developed the scripting plugin).

            Didier
          • Marc Prior
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
              > I see what happens.

              > (Thank you for your test, it helps illustrate the limits and the working of this new feature.)

              This was a known limitation of the solution though, wasn't it? As far as
              I can see, the feature works as designed.

              Marc

              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
                >> (Thank you for your test, it helps illustrate the limits and the working of this new feature.)
                >

                >This was a known limitation of the solution though, wasn't it?

                Yes.

                By "illustrate", I meant "explain".

                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
                  Hats off to the developers again, good work.

                  Marc

                  On 09/27/2011 02:21 PM, Didier Briel wrote:
> [...]
                • Henry Pijffers
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
                    On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Didier Briel <d.briel@...> wrote:

                    > The concept of alternative translation is based on "identifiers", how to
                    > identify uniquely a segment. We have ruled out the segment number, because
                    > it can change constantly.

                    Just an idea, but it could be possible to give segments unique identifiers.
                    It would require OmegaT to keep a separate working copy of the source
                    documents. The first time OmegaT parses the source documents, it assigns a
                    unique number to each segment (not for displaying, for that the current
                    sequence numbers can be used still). When a source document changes, OmegaT
                    compares it to its working copy and makes a diff (after segmentation of
                    course). New segments get new numbers.

                    But like I said, just an idea.

                    > In the case of the text filter, the identifier is given by filename, and
                    > the previous and next segments.
                    >
                    > Doesn't that lead to weird results when the previous/next segments change?

                    Henry

                  • Samuel Murray (Ugchelen)
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
                      Henry Pijffers wrote:

                      > Just an idea, but it could be possible to give segments unique identifiers.
                      > It would require OmegaT to keep a separate working copy of the source
                      > documents.

                      Yes, I also thought of that (it would be an OmegaT intermediary file, in
                      which every segment is numbered inside the document). In fact, a bit of
                      scripting could help create such a file, which is then translated in
                      OmegaT as a standard file.

                      But I think the point Didier made is also valid -- it is highly unlikely
                      that you'd find three segments in a row in more than one place in the
                      same document that should not be translated the same way. The easy way
                      to improve on that would be to require a 5-segment ICE match instead of
                      the current 3-segment ICE match, but after that it becomes overkill.

                      Samuel
                    • Henry Pijffers
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
                        On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Samuel Murray (Ugchelen) <
                        leuce@...> wrote:

                        > But I think the point Didier made is also valid -- it is highly unlikely
                        > that you'd find three segments in a row in more than one place in the
                        > same document that should not be translated the same way.

                        Yes, but I wasn't commenting on that. I was just thinking of a generic way
                        to add unique identifiers, to solve more problems and to add the multiple
                        translations feature to all file types.

                        Henry

                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
                          >> The concept of alternative translation is based on "identifiers", how to
                          >> identify uniquely a segment. We have ruled out the segment number,
                          because
                          >> it can change constantly.
                          >>

                          >Just an idea, but it could be possible to give segments unique identifiers.
                          >It would require OmegaT to keep a separate working copy of the source
                          >documents. The first time OmegaT parses the source documents, it assigns a
                          >unique number to each segment (not for displaying, for that the current
                          >sequence numbers can be used still). When a source document changes, OmegaT
                          >compares it to its working copy and makes a diff (after segmentation of
                          >course). New segments get new numbers.
                          >
                          >But like I said, just an idea.

                          Doable, but complicated.

                          We had considered something similar at some point, but found it complicated
                          compared with the benefits.

                          >> In the case of the text filter, the identifier is given by filename, and
                          >> the previous and next segments.
                          >>
                          >Doesn't that lead to weird results when the previous/next segments change?

                          The general idea was: if new documents are added (or some are removed) in
                          the /source folder, it should have no effect on the current translations.
                          If a document is updated, then some segments might become untranslated. The
                          idea is that you press Ctrl+U as usual.
                          (There is a new parameter, by the way, in Editing Behaviour, to force Ctrl+U
                          to stop on default translations, if there is at least one alternative. That
                          way, that allows to review all default translations that shouldn't be
                          default.)

                          In real tests (i.e., with real documents and real changes), I have not seen
                          strange results, but I have only been in production with 2.5 since the
                          beginning of September.

                          Didier
                        • Samuel Murray (Ugchelen)
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
                            Henry Pijffers wrote:

                            > Yes, but I wasn't commenting on that. I was just thinking of a generic way
                            > to add unique identifiers, to solve more problems and to add the multiple
                            > translations feature to all file types.

                            A special OmegaT intermediary format (or "bilingual" format) would solve
                            that, but it would also mean that users can't easily edit existing
                            source text files (because then the intermediary format would have to be
                            re-generated).

                            Editing the source text is quite important at this time (particularly
                            since merge/split is not yet available, and the segmentation rules GUI
                            is not user-friendly).

                            If a user would use an intermediary format, he might as well use a
                            third-party tool to generate himself a nice little XLIFF file.

                            Samuel
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
                              >On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Samuel Murray (Ugchelen) <
                              >leuce@...> wrote:
                              >

                              >> But I think the point Didier made is also valid -- it is highly unlikely
                              >> that you'd find three segments in a row in more than one place in the
                              >> same document that should not be translated the same way.
                              >

                              >Yes, but I wasn't commenting on that. I was just thinking of a generic way
                              >to add unique identifiers, to solve more problems and to add the multiple
                              >translations feature to all file types.

                              To clarify a potential ambiguity: the multiple translation feature is
                              available for all file types, but with the limitation we have mentioned.

                              Didier
                            • twntnacys
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
                                I cannot open the project file created by OmegaT 2.3.02.
                                Is there anyone that can solve this problem?

                                Joseph Chen

                                ? 2011/9/27 ?? 10:02, Henry Pijffers ??:

                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
                                  You're replying to the wrong thread (I have changed the title accordingly).

                                  >I cannot open the project file created by OmegaT 2.3.02.
                                  >Is there anyone that can solve this problem?

                                  You need to give more details.
                                  What are you doing exactly.
                                  What happens exactly.
                                  etc.
                                  works fine here, and there has been no change at all in the project's
                                  format in this version.

                                  Didier
                                • Henry Pijffers
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
                                    On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Samuel Murray (Ugchelen) <
                                    leuce@...> wrote:

                                    > A special OmegaT intermediary format (or "bilingual" format) would solve
                                    > that, but it would also mean that users can't easily edit existing
                                    > source text files (because then the intermediary format would have to be
                                    > re-generated).
                                    >
                                    > I didn't mean for OmegaT to use a special intermediary format. OmegaT would
                                    just keep a copy of the original file, and in case of modifications, compare
                                    the modified source file to the original and see what's different. Nothing
                                    else.

                                    Henry

                                  • Martin Fleurke
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
                                      Op 27-09-11 18:14, twntnacys schreef:

                                      > I cannot open the project file created by OmegaT 2.3.02.
                                      > Is there anyone that can solve this problem?

                                      Does it contain a line similar to
                                      <dictionary_dir>__DEFAULT__</dictionary_dir>
                                      ?
                                      If not, add it.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
                                        >> I cannot open the project file created by OmegaT 2.3.02.
                                        >> Is there anyone that can solve this problem?
                                        >>
                                        >Does it contain a line similar to
                                        > <dictionary_dir>__DEFAULT__</dictionary_dir>
                                        >?
                                        >If not, add it.

                                        Well spotted!

                                        I have created the bug report.

                                        That said, there is a very simple workaround.

                                        Open the project in 2.3.0 update 2.

                                        Open Poject Properties.
                                        Click on OK.
                                        Quit OmegaT.
                                        <dictionary_dir>__DEFAULT__</dictionary_dir> has now been added to the
                                        project, which can be opened in 2.5.0.

                                        Didier
                                      • Javier Herrera
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Sep 28, 2011
                                          Thanks for the improvements. The new version looks great!

                                          I'm just wondering if there is a keyboard shortcut for selecting and
                                          inserting matches from the Multiple Translation Panel in the Editor, similar
                                          to the Ctrl+1 and Ctrl+2 commands for fuzzy matches.

                                          The only thing that works for me is to move to the Multiple Translations and
                                          right-click on one of them. Is there a simpler way?

                                          jh

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Sep 28, 2011
                                            >I'm just wondering if there is a keyboard shortcut for selecting and
                                            >inserting matches from the Multiple Translation Panel in the Editor,
                                            similar
                                            >to the Ctrl+1 and Ctrl+2 commands for fuzzy matches.
                                            >
                                            >The only thing that works for me is to move to the Multiple Translations
                                            and
                                            >right-click on one of them. Is there a simpler way?

                                            No, so far there are no shortcuts.

                                            Didier
                                          • Valter Mura
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Sep 28, 2011
                                              In data martedì 27 settembre 2011 11:29:38, hai scritto:
                                              > Dear All,
                                              >
                                              > OmegaT 2.5.0 is the new latest version of OmegaT.

                                              As soon as possible, it will available the new Italian version... :)

                                              Ciao
                                              --
                                              Valter
                                              *Open Source is better!*
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Oct 22, 2011
                                                Thanks a lot to all the developers. This new version is really a big leap forward in the history of OmegaT.

                                                I've came across this post only by chance. Do you have an RSS feed or a newsletter, so that users like me (who don't visit the forum so often), will keep updated on the latest news? I mean, an RSS other than the one that feeds all the forum messages...

                                                Thanks a lot again!

                                                Marco Cevoli
                                                www.qabiria.com

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Oct 22, 2011
                                                  >I've came across this post only by chance. Do you have an RSS feed or a
                                                  newsletter, so that users like me (who don't visit the forum so often), will
                                                  keep updated on the latest news? I mean, an RSS other than the one that
                                                  feeds all the forum messages...

                                                  All the releases are announced on the Sourceforge news page:
                                                  https://sourceforge.net/news/?group_id=68187

                                                  Didier