Re: [OmT] non-breaking spaces

  • Дмитрий Габинский
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2011
      2011/4/29 Marc Prior <mail@...>
      > I keep a text file open containing a list of special characters, and
      > just copy and paste them when I need them. The non-breaking space is one
      > of them.

      Do you find it convenient? I've modified the space key entry in my
      Russian layout file as follows:
      key <SPCE> { [ space, space,
      nobreakspace, 0x01002009 ] };

      This lets me type in a non-breaking space by SL3+Space and a narrow
      space by SL3+Shift+Space. SL3 stands for Shift Level 3. In most cases,
      AltGr acts as SL3, but sometimes it is hijacked by applications, so
      I've assigned SL3 to the Win key in my keyboard (in old good days, you
      could do it by modifying xorg.conf, today you need to go to the KDE or
      Gnome setup utility; damn the developers for this change for worse!).

      Best regards,

      Dmitri Gabinski
    • Marc Prior
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2011
        Your solution is interesting, Dmitri. But I need a whole bunch of
        special characters that can't all be assigned to shortcuts, so I would
        end up keeping the plain-text file open anyway.

        Marc

        Дмитрий Габинский wrote:
        > 2011/4/29 Marc Prior <mail@...>
        >
        >> I keep a text file open containing a list of special characters, and
        >> just copy and paste them when I need them. The non-breaking space is one
        >> of them.
        >>

        > Do you find it convenient? I've modified the space key entry in my
        > Russian layout file as follows:
        > key <SPCE> { [ space, space,
        > nobreakspace, 0x01002009 ] };
        >
        > This lets me type in a non-breaking space by SL3+Space and a narrow
        > space by SL3+Shift+Space. SL3 stands for Shift Level 3. In most cases,
        > AltGr acts as SL3, but sometimes it is hijacked by applications, so
        > I've assigned SL3 to the Win key in my keyboard (in old good days, you
        > could do it by modifying xorg.conf, today you need to go to the KDE or
        > Gnome setup utility; damn the developers for this change for worse!).
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Dmitri Gabinski
        >

        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > The OmegaT Project Philosophy:
        > http://www.omegat.org/en/philosophy.html
        > The OmegaT Project and You:
        > http://www.omegat.org/en/involved.html
        >
        > OmegaT contributors should join the "omegat-development" group
        > OmegaT localizers should join the "omegat-l10n" group
        > http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=68187
        >
        > IRC channel: http://java.freenode.net//index.php?channel=omegat
        > or: irc://irc.freenode.net/omegat
        > Bug reports, feature requests, OmegaT test versions etc...:
        > http://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat/

      • Дмитрий Габинский
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2011
          2011/5/2 Marc Prior <mail@...>

          > Your solution is interesting, Dmitri. But I need a whole bunch of
          > special characters that can't all be assigned to shortcuts, so I would
          > end up keeping the plain-text file open anyway.

          There are 48 alphanumeric keys on my keyboard, which gives me 96
          options for additional symbols, and I’m far from reaching this limit.
          Obviously, there are some symbols I need only occasionally (say,
          numbers in circles such as ①②③) and I keep them in a text file, but
          the non-breaking space, m- and n-dashes, the minus symbol, the degree
          symbol, ¹²³ superscripts, «guillemots» and some other are needed
          quite often, thus, making layout modifications feasible. But, well,
          tastes differ :-)

          Best regards,

          Dmitri Gabinski