Happy new year !

  • Jean-Christophe Helary
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011
      Happy new year to all the 1463 members of this list, and to all those who read it from the web!

      2010 was a great year for OmegaT and I hope 2011 will be just as great, if not better.

      Here are a few figures:

      1) OmegaT has reached its best ever ranking on SourceForge in December 2010.
      That month, it was ranked 59th out of more than a hundred thousand projects.
      In 2010, OmegaT has been ranked in the best 100 range 5 months out of 12. The rest of the time, the ranking averaged 140.

      2) OmegaT packages have been downloaded at the rate of more than 155/day for an average 4760/month, OmegaT is also included in most of the Linux distributions.

      3) People have donated quite a lot this year. There were more than 1200 euro of funding for new functions (the latest being the glossary item short-cut based addition), and 450 euros were contributed to provide the development team with a Mac machine to iron out a few Mac specific issues.

      4) 2010 has also seen the birth of the fist plugin not originating from the OmegaT project but from a collaboration with the Okapi Framework. The Okapi Framework provides translators with a very powerful toolbox including tools such as Rainbow, Ratel, Checkmate and Tikal, and is now packaging some of its filters (namely Trados TTX, Qt TS, JSON, InDesign IDML) so that they are directly available from OmegaT.

      5) Last but not least, translators have volunteered a lot of their time and energy to provide users with always up to date translations of the OmegaT user interface. Right now about half a dozen languages (including Catalan, Dutch, French, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese) are working hard to quickly provide a translation for the latest UI items.

      What about 2011 ?

      Although it is always hard to make promises when development is based in volunteer work, considering the current developments I don't think it is too bold to "predict" that in 2011, OmegaT will see the following new developments (at least):

      a) The ability to have multiple translations for different instances one a single segment

      b) The ability to smoothly handle _very big_ TMX files

      c) A fully updated user manual in a new format easier to browse and search.

      And I'm sure we'll see a lot of other things (just check the difference between OmegaT 2.0.5 released 6 months ago, and OmegaT 2.2.3 released at the end of December).

      By the way, unless you have a very good reason not to do so, _always_ use the most recent version of OmegaT (currently 2.2.3).

      You want to make donations ? Contact me.
      You want to fund new developments ? Contact Didier.

      You just want to say that OmegaT is great ? Go to Sourceforge and give this project a thumbs up ! https://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat/

      Jean-Christophe Helary
      fun: http://mac4translators.blogspot.com
      work: http://www.doublet.jp (ja/en > fr)
      tweets: http://twitter.com/brandelune
    • armand.heroguel@free.fr
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011
        My English is to bad, c'est pourquoi c'est en français que j'adresse à tous mes meilleurs voeux.

        En 2010, nous (UFR des Langues étrangères appliquées de l'université de Lille 3 à Roubaix) avons ouvert en septembre 2010 une licence (bachelor) pour traducteurs et en tant que coordinateur de cette formation, j'ai utilisé OmegaT (la version stable) pour montrer ce qu'est un outil de TAO. Les étudiants ont aimé et je compte bien continuer l'an prochain.

        Cordialement

        Armand

[...]

        ------------------------------------

        The OmegaT Project Philosophy:
        http://www.omegat.org/en/philosophy.html
        The OmegaT Project and You:
        http://www.omegat.org/en/involved.html

        OmegaT contributors should join the "omegat-development" group
        OmegaT localizers should join the "omegat-l10n" group
        http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=68187

        IRC channel: http://java.freenode.net//index.php?channel=omegat
        or: irc://irc.freenode.net/omegat
        Bug reports, feature requests, OmegaT test versions etc...:
        http://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat/

      • Global
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011
          On Sábado 01 Enero 2011 12:40:57 usted escribió:
> [...]
          > too bold to "predict" that in 2011, OmegaT will see the following new
          > developments (at least):
          >
          > a) The ability to have multiple translations for different instances one a
          > single segment
          >
          > b) The ability to smoothly handle _very big_ TMX files
          >
          > c) A fully updated user manual in a new format easier to browse and search.
          >
          > And I'm sure we'll see a lot of other things (just check the difference
          > between OmegaT 2.0.5 released 6 months ago, and OmegaT 2.2.3 released at
          > the end of December).
          >

          > By the way, unless you have a very good reason not to do so, _always_ use
          > the most recent version of OmegaT (currently 2.2.3).
          >

          > You want to make donations ? Contact me.
          > You want to fund new developments ? Contact Didier.
          >
          > You just want to say that OmegaT is great ? Go to Sourceforge and give this

          Igualmente, mis mejores deseos a todos los amigos de la lista y que el 2011
          les traiga salud, bienestar y éxitos.
          Manfred
        • Valter Mura
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011
            In data sabato 01 gennaio 2011 17:40:57, Jean-Christophe Helary ha scritto:

            > Happy new year to all the 1463 members of this list, and to all those who
            > read it from the web!
            >
            > 2010 was a great year for OmegaT and I hope 2011 will be just as great, if
            > not better.

            Happy New Year also from Italy, to all people involved in the OmegaT Project.

            Ciao!
            --
            Valter
            Kubuntu Linux: www.kubuntu.org