Re: [OmT] Backgrounder on TTX: it is just a part of the story

  • Samuel Murray (Apeldoorn)
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1 4:28 AM
      Vito Smolej wrote:

      > It is the "native" format for Trados' TagEditor, so knowing how to
      > handle TTX will allow me to handle all those doc, ppt, xls, docx,
      > itd, qsc, bix, exe, dll, rc, hlp etc etc files, TagEditor can
      > translate, right?

      Marc and Didier answered already but here is my 2c (to basically confirm
      what they said).

      * If you want to translate a DOC using Trados, you can convert it to
      TTX, translate the TTX, and then convert it back to DOC using Trados.

      * But if *your client* wants to have a DOC translated using Trados, and
      he owns Trados himself, then he will usually send you only the TTX file,
      not the DOC file as well. Then it doesn't matter if you have Trados or
      not, as long as you can translate the TTX file and send it back to the
      client intact.

      So when a client asks you to translate a TTX file, he isn't expecting
      you to deliver a DOC, unless he also sends you the original DOC, at
      which point you should ask him if he expects you do deliver a DOC in
      addition to delivering a TTX.

      Samuel