ubuntu

  • terrencekeenan
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009
      I have started to use omegat on ubuntu. I have two issues: the most
      important is it displays foreign characters as empty rectangles.
      The second, I can't make a desktop icon. In order to run omegat on
      ubuntu, i have to go to the omegat file and click on the icon there.
      If I cut and paste the icon onto the desktop, it stops working.

      Thanks in advance for anyone's help!
    • Jean-Christophe Helary
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009
        On lundi 02 mars 09, at 08:30, terrencekeenan wrote:

        > I have started to use omegat on ubuntu. I have two issues: the most
        > important is it displays foreign characters as empty rectangles.

        This is because you use text files as source and you have not properly
        set their encoding.

        > The second, I can't make a desktop icon. In order to run omegat on
        > ubuntu, i have to go to the omegat file and click on the icon there.
        > If I cut and paste the icon onto the desktop, it stops working.

        Maybe you need to create an alias.

        In both cases, check the user manual. If the information there is not
        sufficiently clear (or not sufficient at all), don't hesitate to ask
        further questions.

        Jean-Christophe Helary

        ------------------------------------
        http://mac4translators.blogspot.com/
      • Victor Argüelles
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009
          > I have started to use omegat on ubuntu. I have two issues: the most
          > important is it displays foreign characters as empty rectangles.

          Hi, just modify the wrapper script with any text editor. Add the line:

          cd `dirname $0`

          Before the line that actually launches the OmegaT jar file.

          Then make a link to that file anywhere you want. It will work as you were
          expecting.

          --
          Amitabha!

          //Desde las fauces de la Ciudad Monstuo
          //víctor argüelles((L.L.))
          http://www.perroscongatos.com/
          http://elabominable.wordpress.com/

        • Terrence Keenan
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009
            It always pays to read the manual....
            Windows always spoonfed things, so there was little need to read manuals.
            Just started with Ubuntu.
            Went to File Filters in the top bar of Omega and just changed the encoding
            to ISO-8859-1, which handles german.
            Pretty easy.

            On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Victor Argüelles <v.arguelles@...>wrote:

            > > I have started to use omegat on ubuntu. I have two issues: the most
            > > important is it displays foreign characters as empty rectangles.
            >
            > Hi, just modify the wrapper script with any text editor. Add the line:
            >
            > cd `dirname $0`
            >
            > Before the line that actually launches the OmegaT jar file.
            >
            > Then make a link to that file anywhere you want. It will work as you were
            > expecting.
            >
            > --
            > Amitabha!
            >
            > //Desde las fauces de la Ciudad Monstuo
            > //víctor argüelles((L.L.))
            > http://www.perroscongatos.com/
            > http://elabominable.wordpress.com/

            Terrence Keenan
            tel.: 314.750.1965
            skype: tdk1977

          • Terrence Keenan
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009
              or just change the file to .txt1, which is automatically falls under the
              encoding listed above, as opposed to just .txt

              --
              Terrence Keenan
              tel.: 314.750.1965

            • Leonardo La Malfa
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2, 2009
                terrencekeenan wrote:
                > The second, I can't make a desktop icon. In order to run omegat on
                > ubuntu, i have to go to the omegat file and click on the icon there.
                > If I cut and paste the icon onto the desktop, it stops working.
                To create a desktop icon, you can also try the following: right-click on
                the desktop, then choose "Create Launcher...". Fill in the required
                fields, and in the command line type "java -jar OmegaT/OmegaT.jar". This
                assumes you placed OmegaT folder in your home folder. If this is not the
                case, amend path accordingly.

                Leonardo