downloadables in zip format

  • Hariram Pansari
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1 1:41 AM
      I tried to download from
      <http://downloads.sourceforge.net/omegat/OmegaT_1.7.3_02_Windows.exe>

      But ".exe" files downlading is banned by most of the servers for
      security reasons, so it can't be downloaded.

      I request to kindly convert all the windows downloadable files
      in ".zip" format and make availaable for downloading.

      With regards.

      Hariram Pansari
    • Dmitri Gabinski
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1 1:53 AM
        Saluton!

        Fri, 01 Aug 2008 08:41:38 -0000, "Hariram Pansari" <hariraama@...>
        skribis:

        > But ".exe" files downlading is banned by most of the servers

        Not by servers, but by proxies and/or firewalls. Contact your system
        administrator.

        > I request to kindly convert all the windows downloadable files
        > in ".zip" format and make availaable for downloading.

        Even if it's zipped, your firewall may still check the archive contents and
        ban downloading it because of .exe inside. Why not download a cross-platform
        zipped package?

        Best regards,

        Dmitri Gabinski

        --------
        Подключайся на тарифный план 'Дюжина' от 'БеСТ' и разговаривай/отправляй
        SMS внутри сети бесплатно до конца года! Специальные предложения внутри
        тарифного плана: 'Дюжина 0' и 'Дюжина 12'. Подробности на http://www.best.by
      • Hariram Pansari
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1 2:03 AM
          --- In OmegaT@yahoogroups.com, Dmitri Gabinski <gdkbnx@...> wrote:

          > Even if it's zipped, your firewall may still check the archive
          contents and
          > ban downloading it because of .exe inside. >

          Presently ".Zip" files are allowed.

          > Why not download a cross-platform
          > zipped package?

          How to
          Pl. give the correct download link. Would it work in windows?

          Regards.

          Hariram
        • anthony baldwin
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1 2:11 AM
            Dmitri Gabinski wrote:
            > Saluton!
            >
            > Fri, 01 Aug 2008 08:41:38 -0000, "Hariram Pansari" <hariraama@...>
            > skribis:
            >
            >> But ".exe" files downlading is banned by most of the servers
            >
            > Not by servers, but by proxies and/or firewalls. Contact your system
            > administrator.
            >
            >> I request to kindly convert all the windows downloadable files
            >> in ".zip" format and make availaable for downloading.
            >
            > Even if it's zipped, your firewall may still check the archive contents and
            > ban downloading it because of .exe inside. Why not download a cross-platform
            > zipped package?

            Or download the sources and compile?

            --
            Anthony Baldwin

            http://www.BaldwinLinguas.com
            Translation & Interpreting

            http://www.TransProCalc.org
            Free translation project mgmt software

            http://www.LinguasOS.org
            Linux for Translators
          • Marc Prior
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1 2:15 AM
              > But ".exe" files downlading is banned by most of the servers for
              security reasons, so it can't be downloaded.

              I'm afraid that the problem lies with your ISP, not with most servers.

              > I request to kindly convert all the windows downloadable files
              in ".zip" format and make availaable for downloading.

              This would cause extra work for our administrators, besides making downloading even more confusing to users owing to the large number of versions (Windows users generally prefer .exe files, so replacing the .exe files with .zip archives is not an option).

              Possible solutions:

              1) Switch to an ISP that provides proper customer support.
              2) Switch to Linux.
              3) Download the OmegaT version without JRE from downloads.sourceforge.net/omegat/OmegaT_1.7.3_02_Without_JRE.zip. You will have to obtain the JRE separately if you don't already have it. (Note that Sun also provides the JRE for Windows for download as an .exe file.)
              4) Download a zip archive from www.omegat.org/resources/OmegaT_1.7.3_02_Windows.exe.zip.

              Marc

              Hariram Pansari wrote:
              > I tried to download from
              > <http://downloads.sourceforge.net/omegat/OmegaT_1.7.3_02_Windows.exe>
              >
              > But ".exe" files downlading is banned by most of the servers for
              > security reasons, so it can't be downloaded.
              >
              > I request to kindly convert all the windows downloadable files
              > in ".zip" format and make availaable for downloading.
              >

              > With regards.
              >
              > Hariram Pansari
              >

              > ------------------------------------
              >
              > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              > IRC channel: irc://irc.freenode.net/omegat
              > For bug reports, feature requests, OmegaT test versions etc...
              > Go to: http://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat/
              > To localize OmegaT to your language, or proofread existing translations,
              > read: http://www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat_en/translation-info.html
              > If OmegaT makes you richer than you need, check the Pine Ridge Reservation's
              > charities for a donation: http://www.friendsofpineridgereservation.org/

            • Dmitri Gabinski
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1 2:53 AM
                Saluton!

                Fri, 01 Aug 2008 09:03:33 -0000, "Hariram Pansari" <hariraama@...>
                skribis:

                > How to
                > Pl. give the correct download link. Would it work in windows?

                http://downloads.sourceforge.net/omegat/OmegaT_1.7.3_03_Without_JRE.zip?use_mirror=dfn

                It will work if you have Java installed in your system. If not, download
                Java from www.java.com.

                BTW, I would recommend you downloading the version 1.8
                http://downloads.sourceforge.net/omegat/OmegaT_1.8.0_02_Beta_Without_JRE.zip?use_mirror=dfn

                It's much improved.

                Best regards,

                Dmitri Gabinski

                --------
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 1 3:11 AM
                  Dmitri Gabinski wrote:

                  > download Java from www.java.com

                  ... as an .exe file. :-) Or did you find an alternative download format?

                  Marc