Re: [OmT] Stripping tags

  • Sister Claire
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
      On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 8:41 PM, Didier Briel <d.briel@...> wrote:

> [...]

      Thanks very much. It looks like exactly what I need in such cases. I'm
      at the office, so I'll wait to get home and try it out there first.

      Many thanks,
      Sr. Claire
    • Maynard Hogg
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
        On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 01:25, Sister Claire <quietasanun@...> wrote:
        > I am translating the document from hell. The writer is not a native Hebrew
        > speaker, he is not particularly computer savvy and not a really gifted
        > writer.The thing is full of tags that don't make any sense, arbitrary full
        > stops, bizaare indentations, and Lord knows what. When I open the document
        > in OmegaT, it is tag city to the point that I have trouble seeing the words,
        > let alone the punctuation. Other than that, it is a lovely document. <sigh>

        Standard operating procedure for Japanese engineers using MS Word,
        Framemaker, whatever.

        > The only thing I can think of doing is to save it as a plain text file, get
        > rid of all the extra spaces and tabs and linefeeds, save it again in OOo,
        > translate in OmegaT and then compare the target document with the original
        > to figure out where he wants text bolded and such.

        This is what I have been doing, but your question has triggered some
        very useful responses. Thanks for asking.

        "There are no dumb questions. Only dumb answers."