Re: [OmT] Grammar check

  • Maynard Hogg
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1 12:41 PM
      On 5/29/08, olivier vasseur <oliviervasseurtrad@...> wrote:
      > In French we also need to add spaces, more precisely
      > unbreakeable spaces before some punctuation marks.

      I hadn't thought that far ahead. Yes, eliminating spaces before
      English commas, semicolons, and colons would be nice. (But not periods
      because of file extensions like .txt and .odt.) I give this low
      priority, however, because, as you point out, rules are
      language-specific (or continent-specific for English). No "one size
      fits all" means adding configuration options.

      What I had in mind was the traditional text editor option of
      automatically deleting spaces at the end of lines. (And MS Word's bad
      habit of allowing spaces to accumulate at the end of paragraphs.)

      I'd say go one step further: at most one space (s/ +/ /) between and
      zero at the ends (s/^[ \t\n]+// and s/[ \t\n]+$//).

      Looking further ahead: What about callbacks applying such processing
      to source and target segments as the translator step from segment to
      segment?

      I have a language-specific need to insert spaces in the input to make
      glossaries usable (Chinese and Japanese don't use spaces) and remove
      excess ones in the output. The latter filter should be very easy to
      implement. The former will take time.