Re: [OmT] OmegaT and OOo integration ?

  • suzume@mx82.tiki.ne.jp
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 1, 2004
      On 1 nov. 04, at 17:23, Marc Prior wrote:

      > As appealing as it might be, this effectively means re-writing half of
      > OmegaT
      > from scratch. OOXlate, on the other hand, is already 95% there (the
      > main
      > reason OOXlate doesn't work is that it requires four or five different
      > pieces
      > of software, the latest versions of which are incompatible. If you get
      > the
      > right versions of everything, it does work, though configuration is
      > tricky,
      > since the [relatively] easy autoconfiguration process doesn't work
      > because it
      > defaults to the latest versions). To me, it would make more sense to
      > use
      > OOXlate as a basis for this than OmegaT.

      I am absolutely not against using applications that do already exist.
      But I certainly don't see the problems the way you seem to do. First I
      don't see how we'd need to re-write half of OmegaT.

      The idea is to interface OmegaT Java classes from the OOo API that
      already allows for that.

      Basically it means finding an OOo programmer who manages to call OmegaT
      from a OOo document template. I sure don't understand how feasible it
      is, I only see this as using OmegaT classes as "libraries" more than
      anything else.

      It seems to me OOxlate is adding a lot of complexity to a process that
      is already complex. OmegaT works well right now. There are things that
      need to be polished a little bit but it is a working and useful tool.

      Besides, in case that was not clear, what I mean by integration is
      _not_ transforming OmegaT to make it accessible only from OOo. I only
      mean creating a bridge between the two.

      I was considering the fact that if you can't "force" people to install
      OOo to be only used as a filter for OmegaT, OmegaT, conversely can be a
      plausible download for OOo users. But whatever way you look at it,
      putting a programatic link between the two apps (automating the filter
      process or accessing the segment/tm/match engine form OO) is probably
      the fastest way for OmegaT to be widely accepted as a productive tool.

      > Having said that, I've be astonished at how much Maxym has been able
      > to do in
      > the way of modifications within such a short space of time, so I'd be
      > interested to hear his take on it.

      Definitely.
      JC

      _______________________
      Jean-Christophe Helary
      traductions japonais-français
      helary@...
    • Marc Prior
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 1, 2004
        JC,

        I'm replying to this on the dev list, rather than bore the users here with my
        ramblings. :-)

        Marc
      • Maxym Mykhalchuk
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 30, 2004
          Hi Marc et al,

          > I'd be
          > interested to hear his take on it.

          Well, as I don't use OpenOffice at all, it's just not what I'd be
          able to do - I mean integrating OmegaT into something I even cannot
          use is an effort that would most likely to fail.

          so sorry folks,
          I won't do it, at least not this year...

          ciao
          Maxym

          http://my.yahoo.com