New Images

  • Alec
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2006
      Hello All,

      If anyone is interested I've added three of my first tracked images to
      my folder, 3dpan.

      Pleiades, M42/M43, and the Small Magellanic Cloud.

      I'm having problems getting exposures longer than two minutes, my
      alignment is not good enough, so I've taken the next giant step and
      ordered components for auto-guiding.

      Watch this space for the next incremental step in image quality.

      Cheers,
      Alec
    • Harold
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 5, 2006
        --- In Olympus_Digital_SLR_Astrophotography@yahoogroups.com, "Alec"
        <aleck@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > If anyone is interested I've added three of my first tracked
        images to
        > my folder, 3dpan.
        >
        > Pleiades, M42/M43, and the Small Magellanic Cloud.
        >
        > I'm having problems getting exposures longer than two minutes, my
        > alignment is not good enough, so I've taken the next giant step and
        > ordered components for auto-guiding.
        >
        > Watch this space for the next incremental step in image quality.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Alec

        Hi Alec,

        Especially liked the Small Magellanic Cloud, I read in the Deep Sky
        Stacker Group how you processed the images. Did you do any post-
        processing in Photoshop or simliar software.?

        Harold
      • Alec
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 5, 2006
          Thank you Harold,

          In Photoshop all I did was adjust levels. That's about the limit of my PS skills.

          I think I could do better with more long slow exposures. The longest exposures of 3 and 4 minutes were showing signs of star elongation, so I have to wait 'till I can set up autoguiding.

          Cheers,
          Alec

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 5, 2006
            Also Harold,

            If you're interested in what can be done, here are the entries in the NZ Astro Group's November competition, all better than mine I think.
            http://possumobservatory.co.nz/rasnzaps/rasnzaps-comp-2006-11-nov-lens-smc.htm

            Cheers,
            Alec

            > If anyone is interested I've added three of my first tracked
            images to
            > my folder, 3dpan.
            >
            > Pleiades, M42/M43, and the Small Magellanic Cloud.
            >
            > I'm having problems getting exposures longer than two minutes, my
            > alignment is not good enough, so I've taken the next giant step and
            > ordered components for auto-guiding.
            >
            > Watch this space for the next incremental step in image quality.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Alec

            Hi Alec,

            Especially liked the Small Magellanic Cloud, I read in the Deep Sky
            Stacker Group how you processed the images. Did you do any post-
            processing in Photoshop or simliar software.?

            Harold

          • Jim Cliffe
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 5, 2006
              Very nice Alec. Thank-you!

              I'm curious about the difference in nebulosity between M42/43 and the
              Pleiades. There's enough exposure to bring up low magnitude stars in
              M45, but not the nebulosity. Is it something to do with stacking? Or
              were the original frames shorter exposures?

              Jim
              - also just starting

              Alec wrote:
              > Hello All,
              >
              > If anyone is interested I've added three of my first tracked images to
              > my folder, 3dpan.
              >
              > Pleiades, M42/M43, and the Small Magellanic Cloud.
              >
              > I'm having problems getting exposures longer than two minutes, my
              > alignment is not good enough, so I've taken the next giant step and
              > ordered components for auto-guiding.
              >
              > Watch this space for the next incremental step in image quality.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Alec

            • Alec
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 5, 2006
                Jim,

                Thanks for your comments.

                All frames were only 20 seconds. If I dig deep into the noise level I can bring out a bit of nebulosity in M45. I've read other comments saying how difficult it is to show.
                It's been suggested that longer, low ISO, frames are the answer. I'll try that when the moon goes.

                In my examples there was no difference in the stacking/processing.

                I think that the M42 nebulosity is just so much brighter to start with.

                Cheers,
                Alec

                Alec wrote:
                > Hello All,
                >
                > If anyone is interested I've added three of my first tracked images to
                > my folder, 3dpan.
                >
                > Pleiades, M42/M43, and the Small Magellanic Cloud.
                >
                > I'm having problems getting exposures longer than two minutes, my
                > alignment is not good enough, so I've taken the next giant step and
                > ordered components for auto-guiding.
                >
                > Watch this space for the next incremental step in image quality.
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Alec

              • Alec
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 8, 2006
                  Jim,

                  See this link for pix (scroll down) of the M45 nebulosity, image details show that it required over an hour of exposure. Link picked out from another forum.

                  http://ciobota.googlepages.com/astronomy

                  Cheers,
                  Alec