Re: PEN for astro

  • neoachromat
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 5, 2010
      Someone on another forum made a test on E500 vs E520 and the E520 lacked amplifier noise but it still suffered from banding. The general nose level was also lower on the E520. So it looks promising but please, someone, test a 60s dark on a PEN!!!

      --- In Olympus_Digital_SLR_Astrophotography@yahoogroups.com, "neoachromat" <per.johansson@...> wrote:

      > I found that Walimex has a very cheap t2 adapter for micro 4/3. They might be under other names too.
      > Has anyone made a 60s darkframe at iso 1600 and 3200? It would be nice to see a "severly" stretched darkframe to see if there is banding or amplifier noice. I have looked at darks from newer Canons and they have managed to get rid of these problems. They also have very few hot pixels.
      >
      > /Per
      >
      > --- In Olympus_Digital_SLR_Astrophotography@yahoogroups.com, "ncbobusa" <ncbobusa@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I just got my E-PL1, and I need to use my CNC to make a mount for my telescope. Then I'll be seeing how it does and posting some pictures.
      > >
      > > I am very new to Astrophotography, and was using a Lumix FX-150 to take pictures, but I'm wanting eventually get a nice CCD from Atik or comparable, and a nice SC or Maksutov as my scope.
      > >
      > > I'm currently 'borrowing' my brothers little 4" reflector as I try stuff out and learn about Astrophotography.
      > >
      > > --- In Olympus_Digital_SLR_Astrophotography@yahoogroups.com, "neoachromat" <per.johansson@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi all!
      > > >
      > > > I have been using my E500 for deep sky during the last three years and it has become clear to me how much better the new Canikons are regarding noise (the E500 has other advantages). Now it looks like the PEN cameras, espescially the Epl-1 are in the same league as the Canikons. Anyone tried a PEN for astro or seen any sample pictures on the net? The low pass filter is thinner but does that give better h-alpha respons also? Battery capacity in cold climas? I have been able to run my E500 in -20 celcius.
      > > >
      > > > BR
      > > >
      > > > Per Johansson, Northern parts of Sweden

    • neoachromat
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 10, 2010
        The same guy with the E520 and E500 provided me with darks from an E-PL1. RAWs taken at 60s and ISO 800, 1600, 3200. No in camera dark subtraction. Here are the results testing them with Iris:

        E-PL1:
        ISO Hot pixels RMS Noise
        800 9 12
        1600 21 27
        3200 36 52

        E500:
        800 6017 50

        The E-PL1 shows no amplifier glow and only a trace of banding on heavily stretched darks. There is no difference between 800, 1600 and 3200 (besides the noise increase).

        /Per

      • dan_x@gmx.de
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 10, 2010
          Hi Per,

          very interesting, or should I say fantastic?

          Do you also have Noise Data available for the E-520 at ISO 800?

          Best regards
          Daniel

          -------- Original-Nachricht --------
          > Datum: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 06:45:36 -0000
          > Von: "neoachromat" <per.johansson@...>
          > An: Olympus_Digital_SLR_Astrophotography@yahoogroups.com
          > Betreff: [Olympus_Digital_SLR_Astrophotography] Re: PEN for astro

          > The same guy with the E520 and E500 provided me with darks from an E-PL1.
          > RAWs taken at 60s and ISO 800, 1600, 3200. No in camera dark subtraction.
          > Here are the results testing them with Iris:
          >
          > E-PL1:
          > ISO Hot pixels RMS Noise
          > 800 9 12
          > 1600 21 27
          > 3200 36 52
          >
          > E500:
          > 800 6017 50
          >
          > The E-PL1 shows no amplifier glow and only a trace of banding on heavily
          > stretched darks. There is no difference between 800, 1600 and 3200 (besides
          > the noise increase).
          >
          > /Per
          >
          > --- In Olympus_Digital_SLR_Astrophotography@yahoogroups.com, "neoachromat"
          > <per.johansson@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Someone on another forum made a test on E500 vs E520 and the E520 lacked
          > amplifier noise but it still suffered from banding. The general nose level
          > was also lower on the E520. So it looks promising but please, someone,
          > test a 60s dark on a PEN!!!

        • neoachromat
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 29, 2010
            No, but if you own a 520 you can easily get them yourselves. Make a 60s dark. Download Iris (free) and run bgnoise from console for RMS noise measurement. To get number of hot pixels I ran find_hot with a limit of 3000. It would be nice to get a feeling for all current Olympus models including both 520 and 620.

            /Per