E420 and red banding

  • Morris Bagnall
    Message 1 of 43 , Aug 1, 2008
      Hello,
      I tried out my E420 for the first time on Tuesday and can see a lot of
      red banding across the picture. It looks very bad on RAW set at ISO1600
      and still pretty bad at ISO800.

      I have a JPEG I have put in the folder called Moggi1964 in the photo's
      and wondered if the more experienced could comment on what I need to do
      to lose the banding.

      Settings changed udring the night from ISO1600 to ISO 800 and I also
      tried each with Noise Reduction on and off. Sadly I lost the sheet I
      made notes on so I don't know which image was with which but I am
      pretty sure the one I have posted was ISO800 with no NR.

      Image times went from one miute down to 40 secs to try to cut down on
      drift (I just sat the camera on the dob).

      Thanks in advance,

      Morris
    • starseeker
      Message 43 of 43 , Aug 26, 2008
        Link to where I posted test images at various isos:

        http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=29087087

        > To: olympus_digital_slr_astrophotography@yahoogroups.com
        > From: moody1515@...
        > Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:19:20 -0400
        > Subject: RE: [Olympus_Digital_SLR_Astrophotography] Re: My IR report with the 520
        >

        > Just to add an addendum to this with some important points.
        >
        > The 520's autofocus (we're talking imager AF here...) is dodgy in dim lighting. I found that in my IR shooting (as well as normal low lighting), it would lock on at power up 100% of the time. However, getting it to lock on the second shot was about 30%, and it NEVER locked on the third shot. So, I find myself shutting off the camera after every shot (or if Im lucky, every second shot) to make sure it locks on my target at power up. The weird thing is, it ALWAYS focuses on the first shot after I power the camera back up, no matter how dim the lighting! Maybe the AF needs to reset itself in tough focusing situations? At any rate, I find myself constantly powering it off and back on to get a reliable focus in dim lighting. Will this be a problem? Hopefully, the camera can take all that shutting off and on! And hopefully, my camera is "normal" and not having difficulty focusing in low light because of being a lemon. My 7070 focused much better in low light than this (of course, we're talking about imager AF-- which I have to use on the 520 for IR shots.)
        >
        > On the bright side, I could easily see the scene on the LCD in bright light, even though I was shooting IR. I didnt even have to go to Live View Boost! I found though, that the times I gave in the previous message were a bit too fast for good exposure. After I went from Low Key back to Normal, I found that exposures are about 0.3 - 0.7 EV slower -- and that the images are better suited to Normal. Still, iso 800 is very handholdable, even at a 1/1.3 second shutter speed. iso 400 a bit less so (but I still get decent images) at 1.6 seconds. Once again iso 200 is not handholdable with exposure times of 2 seconds or longer (up to 3.2 seconds!) And iso 1600 is too grainy for my liking, even though it is handholdable at 1/2.5-1/3 seconds. Let's forget about iso 100 for this discussion!
        >
        > So it seems that, at the wide end of the 14-42mm kit lens at f/5.6, the best bet is to shoot with gradation set to Normal, NF to Standard at iso 800 with a shutter speed of 1/1.3 second in broad daylight. And even then only your first shot after power up will focus (but it does so quickly). If youre lucky, your second one will as well. After that, you have to power down and back up to get it to focus again. Rinse and repeat...

> [...]

        See what people are saying about Windows Live. Check out featured posts.
        http://www.windowslive.com/connect?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_connect2_082008