Re: [Olympus_C2500L] Mid-Hudson Snow Scenes

  • Christian Kuiphoff
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2001
      Hi Gene,

      Thanks for the input!

      Chris

      --- Gene Norris <enorris@...> wrote:
      > Hi Chris for what it is worth I like 34 & 37. You are braver
      > than I am to
      > go out there an get those pictures, I point the 2500L out the
      > window to
      > get pictures of our winter storm of 2000.
      >
      > Gene.

      http://photos.yahoo.com/
    • Linda Phelps
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2001
        Hi Chris,

        I had my work hanging in a gallery for a year. It was expensive to sign up for
        space. My work was matted, framed and hung on the gallery walls. All people
        had to do was buy it and hang it on their wall at home. The cost for the
        framing materials came out of the selling price. Enough photos sold to about
        brake even. The gallery really loved my work. They told me it was the best
        selling of all the artists who were exhibiting there. I have read somewhere
        the quote "If you sell through a gallery, don't quit your day job!". It is the
        truth. You have to find the right location where people will be willing to pay
        a good price. The photography must have some WOW power to it. It has to grab
        their attention enough to make them want to buy it.

        I think the general public are not into buying photography. So You have to
        find out what things will appeal to those who do buy. You have to photograph
        for the public interest. Just because you think it is great, and it is great,
        doesn't mean they will buy it. If you want to try, that is great. But go in
        knowing you will not sell a lot of photos. I hope you can find a location
        where other photography is on display. You may want to do a little research
        on what sells in your area. Popular local landmarks are good. Night skylines,
        any favorite places people visit, the court house or what ever may sell. I
        wish you good luck. Let me know how you get along.

        My photos were mostly 8x10"s in 11x14" frames. I have also sold to individuals
        unframed prints. I have seen prints that were mounted and double matted for
        sale without the frames. So that is an option. Linda P.

        Christian Kuiphoff wrote:

        > Hi all & a Happy New Year full of light to you!
        >
        > Please review and tell me the good, the bad and the ugly. I'm
        > considering printing off some 16x20's and trying to put them up
        > in a gallery. Friends and family think I should, but none of
        > them are photographers. I'd appreciate a more knowledgeable
        > objective opinion.
      • Christian Kuiphoff
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2001
          Thanks all! I appreciate all of you reviewing and commenting.
          Sometimes, we as proud parents think our images are better than
          they really are. This forum allows us the opportunity to have
          others critique them and either justify our feelings or help us
          see reality and do a better job.

          Chris

          http://photos.yahoo.com/