Shipwrecks & Names of Passengers/Crew 1830-1873 online

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2004
      Hi Everyone

      I hope the holidays were terrific for all. I have just
      finished putting online a set of records for all to enjoy.

      It is a list of vessels sailing out of Gloucester
      Massachusetts, and their crews who were lost at sea
      between the years 1830 to October 1, 1873.

      There are 1437 names of those lost, plus the names of 296
      Vessels in this set of records. Sometimes passengers were
      on board, as well as crew members

      Olive Tree Volunteers have finished up to 1860 so I have
      put these online. The rest will follow as completed.

      Start at the intro then click through by year for lists of
      those lost.
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/gloucester.shtml

      Some of the places mentioned where the ships went down are
      given as Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Boston, Maine,
      and more.

      There are interesting tidbits with the lists, both of those
      who died and those who survived. For example the tale of
      this young man on board the Sevo in 1857, would be great to
      have if he is your ancestor!

      "Winthrop Sargent, a lad of twelve years crawled out to the
      end of the bowsprit, and as the vessal was going down,
      grasped a splitting table which floated by, and by his
      cries attracted the attention of those on board the
      steamer, who rescued him with much difficulty" The story
      goes on to add "On the return trip of the steamer, young
      Sargent was brought home,and at two o'clock in the morning,
      was landed at Eastern point, and lad though he was,
      commenced his lonely journey of walking to town. He reached
      his father's house at about four o'clock, and knowing that
      he slept in a bed-room on the lower floor, tapped on the
      window. His father immediately awoke and exclaimed, "Who
      is there?", "It's your boy Winthrop, " was the reply. Mr.
      Sargent at first thought it must be the ghost of the lad,
      as he had given him up as drowned, but young Winthrop had
      no idea of being taken for a ghost, and soon gave evidence
      that he was alive and well, which caused great rejoicing in
      the family. "

      Here's an example of what you can find written about those
      who perished: "Schooner JOHN FRANKLIN was lost while coming
      from Prince Edward Island, in the winter of 1858-59. Had
      several passengers on board, and it is supposed fourteen
      persons went down in this vessel. Her Crew list was as
      follows: John McDonald, Master; Dennis Murphy, Mate, John
      Cogle, Neil McNeil, Angus Chisholm, Edward Malady. The
      family of Cogle were among the Passengers"

      It's interesting reading, and I hope you find an ancestor
      or two! Enjoy, and please pass this message on to any
      people or any lists you think might be interested.