Blogs! What The Heck are They?

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2004
      The Olive Tree Genealogy Newsletter --- helping you find
      the roots and branches of your family tree.

      V. 3 #18: Blogs! What The Heck are They?
      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

      Hi Everyone

      Well, Christmas is almost on us, and for those who celebrate this
      Holiday season, it's a busy time of year.

      My soldier son is home on leave for 3 weeks, and I plan to enjoy
      some time with him. Today we are going to do some last-minute
      shopping, that should be fun. I haven't shopped with him since he
      was a little guy! Speaking of my soldier son, please check out his
      site, his very first attempt at a website, at
      http://blacksheepancestors.com/ I think he did a fantastic job!

      My grandchildren arrive Dec. 27th (ages 3, 4 and 6) and I'm still
      working out the logistics of cooking for everyone.

      I hope all of you are enjoying family and friends and not getting
      too caught up in the hustle and bustle.

      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

      And now I want to let you know about Blogs. I'm having a lot of fun
      with them, and have made a list of Genealogy Blogs I think are
      worthwhile visiting. The list includes my own, of course! Basically
      a Blog is a Journal, a daily or weekly posting of items of interest
      (in my case it's all genealogy naturally)

      My main blog is at

      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com It has Tips & Suggestions
      for research, plus researcher Questions which I answer. I hope you
      find it helpful.

      Olive Tree blog also has a newsfeed, so if you have a reader, you
      can view the feed at

      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/atom.xml

      If you don't have a reader, or don't want to be bothered to download
      one, check out Bloglines.com where you can register for free, and
      read these blog feeds in your web browser. The feeds are summaries
      of each article or post put on the Blog you have added to your
      reader - to read the complete article or post, you just click on the
      link from your reader.

      To sign up for my Blog Feed, use this URL below:

      http://www.bloglines.com/sub/http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/a
      tom.xml

      If you can't click on this link, go to
      http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/ and look in the left side
      bar, half way down the page -- you will see a little icon "Sign up"
      with a link

      What this does is allow you to add different blogs to your reader,
      kind of like getting several newspapers delivered to your door each
      day. Instead of going out to a different newsbox to get each paper,
      you go to one spot to get them all. The feed gives you the
      highlights for each blog when new items are added.

      Some of my other Blogs are

      The Paper Trail - Eclectic mix of old documents - you may just find
      an ancestor's will, land record or general store receipt here!
      http://paper-trail.blogspot.com/

      Past Voices - Letters, letters and more letters! Letters from Civil
      War soldiers, from wives to husbands, sons to mothers, sisters to
      sisters... This blog contains poignant old letters full of genealogy
      tidbits.
      http://pastvoices.blogspot.com/

      After Christmas I'll have more time to add all the wonderful
      databases that my hard-working volunteers have been transcribing
      over the past 6 weeks. There are many goodies waiting for me to code
      and put online and I know you're going to be as excited as I am to
      see them. As always, they will be free for all to use and enjoy.

      For now, enjoy your holidays, and see you in 2005!