Orphan Records, Blacksheep Ancestors, Family Bibles

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2004
      The Olive Tree Genealogy Newsletter --- helping you find
      the roots and branches of your family tree.

      V. 3 #18: Orphan Records & New Sites Online

      ***********************************

      Hi everyone

      As early as 1653, New York City (formerly called New
      Amsterdam) recognized that it needed to care for the city's
      minor children, widows, and orphans.

      By the 19th century the influx of immigrants found many
      unable to work and thus unable to feed their children.
      Women died during childbirth leaving a number of uncared
      for children. Many women also had illegitimate children
      that they could not provide for. Husbands died, living
      behind widows with large families. Some parents were
      addicted to alcohol or committed crimes and wound up in
      prison.

      Many institutions were founded in New York City to care for
      destitute children of immigrants from Ireland and Russia,
      Germany and other eastern European countries.

      I've just added more Orphan Records to my Orphanges &
      Almshouse Project at http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/orphans/

      The new records added today lists over 2,245 names of orphaned
      or abandoned children

      The Orphanages added are:

      Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum, Manhattan New York 1900

      Hebrew Orphan Asylum, Amsterdam Avenue & 137 Street,
      Manhattan New York 1900

      Hebrew Sheltering Guardian Society of New York, Manhattan
      New York 1900

      Orphan Asylum Society Manhattan New York 1900

      Albany Orphan Asylum, Albany NY 1900

      Society for Relief of Half-Orphans & Destitute Children 1900,
      Manhattan New York

      I've also added links to other Orphan records I already had
      online but had forgotten about! (You know you have a huge
      website when you forget what's on it).

      These links are for Almshouse children (orphans) sent to
      New Netherland (New York) from Amsterdam Holland on the
      ship De Waegh (The Weigh-House), August 1655 and Palatine
      (German) Orphaned Children Apprenticed by Gov. Hunter in
      New York 1710-1714

      If you know of anyone or any list that would be interested
      in these new records, please pass this message on to them

      ***********************************

      I want to announce a new site - BlackSheep Ancestors at
      http://blacksheepancestors.com/ This site belongs to my son and
      it's his first attempt at a website. I think he's done an amazing
      job for his first time! (yes, okay he had a little help from Mom)

      This is the largest Directory of Links for Prison & Convict Records,
      Court Records, Executions, Famous Outlaws, Bandits & Criminals on
      the 'net

      I think you will enjoy looking through it. It's in beginning stages,
      he just went live with it today, so there may be a few starting
      glitches. He is excited about finding more records to help find
      those elusive infamous ancestors, and has some great projects in
      mind. Keep watching this site as it grows and expands with
      searchable databases

      Last but not least, Ancestors At Rest at http://ancestorsatrest.com
      is one of my favourite websites. Brian has collected coffin plates,
      funeral cards and tons of other death records to provide an
      intriquing collection that is free to search.

      Also check out his companion site, Family Bibles at
      http://familybibles.blogspot.com/

      Have a fun time finding those brick wall ancestors!