Pennsylvania Baggage Lists

  • Lorine McGinnis Schulze
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2004
      The Olive Tree Genealogy Newsletter --- helping you find
      the roots
      and branches of your family tree.

      V. 3 #13: Pennsylvania Baggage Lists

      Hi everyone,

      This is a special announcement, I was too excited about
      this new project to wait til my next scheduled newsletter

      I have just completed indexing 24 passenger lists from the
      Pennsylvania Baggage Lists of 1809.

      These contain the names of passengers who had to pay taxes
      on excess baggage. It does not contain the names of
      passengers who were exempt because their luggage was not
      over the limit.

      I decided to index all names, not just passenger names, but
      also the names of those shipping luggage or goods, and the
      names of those where the goods were being shipped.

      It's a lot of work, some of the lists are very hard to
      read, but it's also fun, and what a great feeling to get
      these first 24 lists done and online for everyone to enjoy.

      More will follow as I have time, or as volunteers are
      found to help.

      Here is the list of ships I put online yesterday. All
      sailed to Philadelphia Pennsylvania

      1809 Jan 5 Brig Lamprey from Kingston Jamaica

      1809 Jan 5 Schooner Wanton from Jamaica

      1809 Jan. 30 Schooner Swift from Puerto Rico

      1809 Mar. 8 Ship Cordelia from Martinique

      1809 Mar. 11 Ship Union from Plymouth & Lorient

      1809 Mar. 24 Schooner Archibald from Puerto Rico

      1809 Apr. 11 Swedish Ship Abo from St. Bartholomews &
      Turks

      Island 1809 Apr. 18 Brig Jean from Liverpool

      1809 Apr.18 Ship Mary from London

      1809 Apr. 20 Swedish Schooner Maria from St. Thomas

      1809 Apr. 22 Ship Live Oak from Liverpool

      1809 Apr. 24 Brig Lovely Lass from Batavia

      1809 Apr. 29 Ship Ann & Hannah from Turks Island

      1809 Apr. 20 Brig Gustaf Ekerman from St. Bartholomew

      1809 May 2 Ship Edward & Charles from London

      1809 May 2 Schooner George & Susan from Nassau

      1809 May 2 Ship Recovery from Liverpool

      1809 May 3 Ship Diana from Liverpool

      1809 May 8 Brig Reindeer from Havana

      1809 May 9 Brig Palafos from Havana

      1809 May 9 Schooner Ranger from Puerto Rico

      1809 May 9 Schooner Five Sisters from Puerto Rico

      1809 May 10 Schooner Blanche from St. Bartholomew

      1809 May 10 Brig Ann from Liverpool

      Most of the ships also have the image of the manifest
      online too. I will be putting them all online as I have
      time, so if the one you want isn't there, just come back
      and check in a few days.

      You can get to the lists several ways - by going directly
      to the Baggage Lists for PA at
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/#paships

      or by starting at the index to Ships to USA 1805-1810 at
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/tousap14b.shtml

      by going to Ships to PA 1800-present at
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/tousa_pa1800.shtml

      This is another project of Olive Tree Genealogy to fill in
      the gaps, and one that I hope to carry on to 1820, which
      is
      when full passenger lists began to be archived and are
      available to us

      Enjoy! All data on Olive Tree is free for everyone to use,
      so if you like this new project, please spread the word to
      other researchers.

      Lorine

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/tousa_pa.shtml
      Passenger Lists to PA

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/searchpaships.shtml
      Custom Search Engines Internet-wide for Ships to PA

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/filmnos_pa.shtml
      NARA & FHC film nos. from 1820 for immigration