Salt Lake City Research

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2004

      V. 3 #12: Salt Lake City Research

      ****************
      Hi everyone,

      I was lucky enough to spend 10 days in Salt Lake City, and had a
      week of research time in their wonderful Library.

      1. Salt Lake City
      2. The Paper Trail - Old Documents online
      3. Lost Faces - Old Photo Albums Found & Rescued - Update
      4. This 'n That

      ****************
      1. Salt Lake City

      While in SLC, I gathered more ships passenger lists for Olive Tree
      Genealogy pages, plus some miscellaneous databases for all of you to
      enjoy. I'll be getting those out to the Olive Tree Volunteers as
      quickly as possible, so watch for them to go online over the next 6
      months. The passenger lists I brought back with me should be helpful
      in your research because they fill some of the gaps of missing or
      unindexed years:

      -Passenger Lists to Philadelphia Pennsylvania starting 1809
      -Passenger Lists to Boston Massachusetts starting 1820
      -Passenger Lists to New Orleans, Louisiana starting 1821
      -Passenger Lists to Baltimore Maryland starting 1837

      For those who haven't had the thrill of a vist to SLC Family History
      Library, you might want to read my tips and advice in "Salt Lake
      City Library: Ready, Set, Go!" at
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/articles/slc.shtml

      On my personal research, I had tremendous luck and managed to find
      my illegitimate great-great-grandmother's father, grandparents and
      great-grandparents! This is an English line from Lenham Kent and the
      wealth of available English resources amazed me.

      ****************
      2. The Paper Trail - Old Documents online

      Another new corner of Olive Tree Genealogy! This little corner of
      Olive Tree Genealogy is for miscellaneous old papers and documents.
      That's why I call it The Paper Trail.

      It's fascinating to find an old document that describes how many
      pairs of shoes an ancestor bought for his children, or a receipt
      from a funeral home for grave-digging and a hearse and pall. We all
      search for census records, birth certificates, marriage records, and
      death certificates.

      Finding the documents I have here is tricky - where on earth do you
      start to look for them?? That's always been a problem, and that's
      why The Paper Trail hopes to build a massive collection of such
      documents.

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/usa_genealogy/paper/ is the start,
      please check it out and see if I have anything yet on your
      ancestors.

      Just as an example, here is what I have so far on families from New
      York at http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/usa_genealogy/ny/ :

      Document dated 1857 from the New York Temporance Society to employ
      Rev. E. W. Jackson

      Complaint Rip Van Dam vs Peter White of New York City, 1700s

      John Nicholls and Joseph Smith as Creditors, Jamaica, Queens New
      York 1723

      1828 Receipt to John Wilderstein of Herkimer New York

      Indenture against Phineas Bennett Ithaca New York 1833

      Civil War 1863 Enlistment paper for John Tierman New York

      Land Grant in Marquette Michigan to Thomas Bond and Daniel Gay of
      New York City 1865

      Estate of Richard Cornwall, New York 1726

      ****************
      3. Lost Faces - Old Photo Albums Found & Rescued - Update

      I am really pleased to say that two of my albums online have gone to
      good homes. The Skinner and Neilson Albums were found by descendants
      and the photos have been mailed to them. Have you checked to see if
      your family photos have been found yet? I just bought two more and
      will have those online as soon as I can. One of my new albums is a
      real treasure, it's the CLARKE family of Rhode Island, New York and
      Wisconsin, and is a Civil War era album - a wonderful find!

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/faces/ is the intro to this new corner
      of OTG. Read to the bottom and then choose from the "List of Family
      Photo Albums"

      ****************
      4. This 'n That

      I just set up the new FTM 2005 and am so impressed with it that I
      wanted everyone to know about it. The entire look and feel is
      entirely changed - for the better. It's easier to enter family inf.
      It has a great layout where you can see 10 children plus birth and
      death dates and locations -- without scrolling down! Parents are now
      side by side and it's easy to see who their parents are without
      mousing over their names. In an interesting twist, Ancestry.com has
      added a silent search feature which searches on your ancestors'
      names in the background while you are working in FTM. When you look
      at a chart, you see a little icon beside each name where more
      information was found in their databases. I've been checking some of
      my names and was pleased to find positive results. It saved me hours
      of hunting, and is easy to use.

      If you aren't an Ancestry subscriber, you can take a Free Trial to
      view the search results - how great is that? Anyway, I love the new
      FTM although I did change the new colors back to the standard
      yellow - I missed that look. Best of all, you can still use FTM 2005
      without bothering with the behind-the-scenes search capablities, and
      I really liked that option. It's the best of both worlds.

      If you are interested see
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ftm2005.shtml for more details and a
      link to purchase it. If you order it online through the link I have
      there, Olive Tree will get a small amount of each purchase, and that
      goes towards more databases such as the ships passenger lists I just
      got in Salt Lake. Don't use the phone number given on the order page
      though, or Olive Tree doesn't get a dime.

      I'm really happy with mine and have spent more time playing around
      with it than I should :-)