Lost Faces & Other Goodies

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2004

      V. 3 #11: Lost Faces & Other Goodies

      1. Lost Faces - Old Photo Albums Found & Rescued
      2. Huron Co. Ontario GenWeb
      3. How Many Ancestors Do We Have?
      4. Curiosity Corner - who is Lorine??

      ****************

      1. Lost Faces - Old Photo Albums Found & Rescued

      Hi everyone

      I've been busy this last week setting up a new corner of
      Olive Tree Genealogy.I call it "Lost Faces -Old Photo
      Albums Found & Rescued"

      One of my hobbies is going to flea markets, antique fairs and garage
      sales. Whenever I spot one of those old Photo Albums from
      the 1800s with family pictures, I have to buy it! I can't
      bear the thought that the album and photos will be lost or
      destroyed. Even though they aren't my ancestors, and they
      can be very expensive, I can't walk away without it.

      What I'm doing with Lost Faces is putting online the list
      of all the albums I have saved, along with the list of
      photos and other documents (I have albums that contain
      funeral cards, memorial cards, obituaries, Christmas cards,
      and hand-written genealogies) and any research I've done on
      the family. I've also put up some of the photos

      I hope that by putting this online, descendants will find a
      treasure.

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/faces/ is the little intro to
      this new corner of OTG. Read to the bottom and then choose
      the "List of Family Photo Albums"

      I only have a few online so far, but the locations range from
      England to USA to Ontario and Saskatchewan.

      -Neilson Family of Esquesing Township, Halton County
      Ontario. [55 photos & documents]

      Surnames include Stark, Brownridge, Joyce, Wilson, Graham,
      Lawson, Newton, Aitkens.

      Locations include Esquesing Township, Halton County,
      Dresden, Guelph, Milton, Prince Albert Saskatchewan,
      Detroit Michigan, Hespeler, Puslinch Township, Wellington
      County, St. Catharines, Hamilton, Georgetown, Brampton,
      Acton, Mansewood, Charlemont, Dawn Township, Lucan

      -Barnum-Rayond-Pickard Family New York [35 photos &
      documents]

      Surnames include Barnum, Raymond, Marcellus, Pickard,
      Gould, Woodworth, Humphrey, Cox, Babcock, Candee, Caudee

      Locations in New York include Syracuse, Red Creek,
      Lowville, Binghampton, Gouverneur, Carthage, Copenhagen,
      Pulaski; also Sharpsburg Pennsylvania; Rochelle, Illinois

      -Hele & Kingsford Family Devon England to Oxford Co.
      Ontario [117 photos]

      Surnames include Kingsford, Hele, Buncher, Healey,
      McGregor, Woodrow, Thomas, Carter, Leach, Yates,
      Chittenden, Lossing

      Locations include Devon England, Lowell Massachusetts,
      Newaygo Co. Michigan, North Norwich Ontario, Cheltenham
      England, Exeter, Aldeburgh, Torquay, Brantford Ontario, Montreal
      Quebec, Detroit Michigan, Bucklan, London England,
      Plymouth, Notting Hill, Newton Abbot, Cornhill, Penrith

      -Skinner Family Scotland and Ontario [46 photos]

      Surnames include Skinner, Brown, Smith, Yemen, Welsh,
      Wallace, Cousins, Pugsley, Wilson, Young, Scroggie,

      Locations include Brantford Ontario, St. Paul [Minnesota?],
      Hamilton Ontario, Ottawa Ontario, Norfolk Co. Ontario,
      Scotland, Ingersoll Ontario, West Bay City, Simcoe Ontario, Cobourg
      Ontario, Aberdeen, Hamilton Ontario

      -WALLACE, DEAN, MITCHELL, JOHNSTON Family Album of Bruce &
      Huron County, Ontario

      Surnames include Wallace, Dean, Mitchell, Johnston

      Locations include Lucknow, Ripley, Kincardine, Bruce Co.,
      Goderich, Huron Co., Clinton, Orangeville, Marquette
      Michigan

      Have a look, I hope you like it and that you find an
      ancestor there. If you want to pass this message on to
      other researchers or lists, please do.

      Lorine

      ****************
      2. Huron Co. GenWeb

      I am the new host of Huron County Ontario GenWeb (I guess I don't
      have enough to do <g>). I don't live in Huron County but I have
      ancestors from there - my Shuart and Vollick families were early
      settlers. I'm always interested to correspond with anyone searching
      these families.

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~onhuron/ is the start of the
      site.

      If you need help, make sure you refer to the Site Map at

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~onhuron/site-map.htm

      I've added 210 names of Huron County individuals found in the
      Criminal Court records 1853-1929. See
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~onhuron/court/

      I've also added the names of those living in Huron County
      in the Second Heir & Devisee Commission records. The second
      Heir and Devisee Commission was responsible hearing and
      determining claims to land. See those at
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~onhuron/land/

      There are other goodies to be found, be sure to have a
      look. I hope you find an ancestor or two!

      ****************
      3. How Many Ancestors Do We Have?
      © Lorine McGinnis Schulze

      If we double the number of ancestors in each generation, 2 parents, 4
      grandparents, and so on, we can see that by the time we are back 10
      generations, we have the potential for 1024 ancestors. But is this
      true? If we were to go back to the time of Charlemagne, we would find
      we had the potential for 281 trillion (YES!) ancestors all living at
      that one moment in history. This is statistically impossible! So
      where did our ancestors go?

      It is estimated that 80% of the marriages in history were between
      second cousins. Why? Because the population base was smaller, people
      lived in small communities and migrated within those same small
      communities. The theory in genealogical research is that our family
      trees are actually shaped like a diamond, not a pyramid as shown
      below. Tracing back a few generations gives a wider shape. Keep going
      and you find the shape narrowing, eventually, the theory holds,
      converging to only a few ancestors.

      ... Read the rest of this article and see the charts at
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/misc/ancestors.shtml

      ****************
      4. Curiousity Corner - who is Lorine??

      I had a really good response to my last newsletter's "Curiousity
      Corner" and a lot of you wrote to me about it. So -- even though I
      feel a bit 'funny' talking about myself, if anyone is interested, I
      do have a blurb online called "About Lorine".

      There's even a little weather indicator for my location which shows
      you that today it is 65' F outside. Brrrr.

      I've tried to include a few facts about me that might help you get to
      know who runs this big website called Olive Tree Genealogy! (and
      other websites...) A lot of visitors think I am part of a big
      organization (I'm not), or have some kind of a 'staff' (wish I
      did!!). Anyway, I hope you enjoy reading it.

      Good hunting!