What's New in May

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2004

      V. 3 #9: What's New in May

      Hi everyone

      I hope your research is going well! May has been a busy busy month
      and I didn't get as many new databases online as I hoped. We had our
      Victoria Day weekend in May, and I took another 3 day weekend to
      visit my son at his new base.

      But here's what I DID get online for everyone to enjoy:

      ****************
      1. JJ Cooke Shipping Records (Irish Passenger Lists)1847-1871
      2. Pew Registers of St. Mary's Church, Philadelphia,
      Pennsylvania, from 1787-1791
      3. Cemetery Records for St. Mary's Church in Philadelphia PA 1788 -
      1800.
      4. USA-wide Index to Special Passports 1887-1894

      ****************
      1. JJ Cooke Shipping Records (Irish Ships Passenger Lists)

      I've added some new free ships passenger lists from the JJ Cooke
      Shipping Records. For those unfamiliar with these shipping records,
      they cover the years 1847-1871 for ships from Ireland.

      I have 10 new ships sailing from Ireland to Pennsylvania, Quebec and
      St. John New Brunswick. (These are a valuable resource to fill in the
      missing Canadian passenger list years.)

      A big thank you goes to volunteer Laura Freeman for transcribing
      these records for Olive Tree Genealogy!

      You can use the links below to go directly to each ship. Please note
      that if you use the direct links, you will go straight to that
      ship's passenger list, so let the page load completely then scroll
      (look) down.

      There are over 1,500 passenger names on these 10 ships. Many lists
      give the passengers ages and places of origin.

      ~~~~~~~~~~
      Ireland to PENNSYLVANIA:

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jj_superior50-pa.shtml
      Superior 1850, Ireland to Philadelphia Pennsylvania

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jj_maryann51-pa.shtml
      Mary Ann Ireland to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1851

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jj_superior51-pa2.shtml
      Superior Ireland to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1851 Second
      Voyage

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jj_superior51-pa3.shtml
      Superior Ireland to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1851 Third
      Voyage

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jj_envoy53-pa.shtml
      Envoy Ireland to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1853

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jj_superior53-pa.shtml
      Superior Ireland to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1853

      ~~~~~~~~~~
      Ireland to QUEBEC:

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jj_envoy51-q2.shtml
      Envoy, Ireland to Quebec, 1851 Second Voyage

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jj_lambton52-q.shtml
      Lord Lambton, Ireland to Quebec, 1852

      ~~~~~~~~~~
      Ireland to NEW BRUNSWICK:

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jj_londonderry51-stj2.shtml
      Londonderry Ireland to St. John, New Brunswick 1851 Second
      Voyage

      (Note that you can't click on the URL above, you have to
      COPY and PASTE the 2 line URL into your web browser)

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jj_maryann53-stj.shtml
      Mary Ann Ireland to St. John, New Brunswick 1853

      You can also start at the JJ Cooke Shipping Records index page at
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jjcooke.shtml

      This is an ongoing project, ships are being added as they are
      transcribed.

      ****************
      2. Pew Registers of St. Mary's Church, Philadelphia,
      Pennsylvania, from 1787-1791

      In May I uploaded the start of a new database on Olive Tree
      Genealogy. It is the Pew Registers of St. Mary's Church,
      Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, from 1787-1791

      St. Mary's, built in 1763, was the second Roman Catholic institution
      in Philadelphia. It was the site of the first public religious
      commemoration of the Declaration of Independence. Members of the
      Continental Congress attended services four times from 1777 to 1781.
      George Washington worshiped at St. Marys on at least two occasions.

      Thanks to volunteers Glenda Meyer and Laura Freeman, the first 3
      sections are complete and online. The rest will follow as volunteers
      finish transcribing them and I get them ready to go online

      You can start at PENNSYLVANIA GENEALOGY LINKS at
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/usa_genealogy/pennsylvania.htm
      and look under CHURCH RECORDS. Click on the link for "Introduction
      St. Mary's Church, Philadelphia Pennsylvania" to begin.

      Here is what is online and what will be coming online as it is
      completed:

      -Introduction
      -List of Names - Pew Rents 8 Dec 1787
      -List of Names - Pew Rents & Arrears 5 Nov. 1787
      -List of Names - Pew Rents 24 June 1788
      -Debts 24 June 1788 Debts 8 Dec. 1788
      -List of Names - Pew Rents 8 Dec. 1788
      -Debts 24 June 1789
      -List of Names - Pew Rents 24 June 1789
      -Arrears on Pew Rents 8 Dec. 1789
      -List of Names - Pew Rents 8 Dec. 1789
      -Debts 24 June 1790
      -List of Names - Pew Rents 24 June 1790
      -Debts 8 Dec. 1790
      -Money Due 24 June 1789
      -Money Due 20 May 1790
      -Debts May 1791

      ***************
      3. Cemetery Records for St. Mary's Church in Philadelphia PA 1788 -
      1800

      You can start at PENNSYLVANIA GENEALOGY LINKS at
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/usa_genealogy/pennsylvania.htm

      Choose "Search online Pennsylvania Databases" then look under
      CEMETERY RECORDS. Click on the link for St. Mary's Church Burial
      Ground, Philadelphia Pennsylvania to begin.

      Laura Freeman deserves a thank you for her hard work in transcribing
      these records.

      Start at
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/usa_genealogy/pa_stmarysintro.htm

      ***************
      4. USA-wide Index to Special Passports 1887-1894

      I have just uploaded the start of another new project - it is a USA-
      wide Index to Special Passports 1887-1894 an Index for all states in
      USA at

      http://naturalizationrecords.com/usa/passports1887-94a.shtml

      --- OR --- go to

      http://naturalizationrecords.com/usa/passports.shtml and
      look under the Title "Online Passport Records"

      These projects are possible because of the wonderful volunteers
      working on them - we have volunteer transcribers Laura
      Freeman, "Glitz" and Shirley Ann Hunt to thank for this set of
      passport records.

      I have other passport records just waiting for a volunteer or two --
      if you are interested in helping to bring these free records online,
      please write to me. I do ask one favor - that you not write if you
      aren't seriously interested.

      Be aware that the records are hand written, can be hard to read, and
      typing them is WORK. :-)

      But you are given training and help with every step of writing them
      out and you also have a proof-reader who works with you so you aren't
      alone. We're also a friendly bunch so you might find you have a new
      group of volunteer friends!

      If there's anyone who is really truly interested in helping out,
      please do get in touch with me.

      ***************
      Last, but not least, for those searching for ancestors who sailed to
      Canada, the Ontario Archives has a wonderful new database online.

      It's an index to the assisted immigration registers created by the
      Toronto Emigrant Office between 1865 and 1883.

      The registers are a chronological listing of those new immigrants who
      were assisted by the government to travel to many different
      destinations across southern Ontario. Over 29,000 entries have been
      transcribed from the registers.

      http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/english/db/hawke.htm

      These are part of The Hawke Papers, letterbooks of Chief Emigrant
      Agent Anthony B. Hawke from 1831 to 1892.

      There are also passenger lists to Canada before 1865 on The
      Olive Tree Genealogy.

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/tocanp01.shtml

      Enjoy!