April Records - Ships Lists & Naturalization Records

    Message 1 of 1 , May 10 6:14 AM

      V. 3 #8: New Databases in April

      Hello everyone,

      I hope all the mothers on this list had a wonderful Mother's Day! For
      the first time in 7 years, my son (a soldier) was free to be with me
      for this special day. He arrived on Friday, planning on spending the
      weekend. However, at 2 am on Sunday he was called back to base and
      our plans had to be cancelled. I'll get that promised dinner from him
      yet though. :-)

      Now, here's what I've been working on for Olive Tree Genealogy in the
      last couple of weeks:

      1. Declarations of intention, 1850-1856 New York. Justices' Court
      (Albany) Books 9-12.

      2. Declarations of intention, 1843-1850 New York. Justices' Court
      (Albany) Books 7 & 8

      3. JJ Cooke Shipping Records, 1847-1871 - Ships passenger lists from
      Ireland to Pennsylvania, New Orleans, Quebec and St. John New
      Brunswick

      4. Olive Tree Tip for Nelson Township, Halton County Ontario 1830
      Assessment Records
      *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
      No. 1:

      I have just uploaded Surnames E, F, G, and H to the
      existing database Declarations of intention, 1850-1856 New
      York. Justices' Court (Albany) Books 9-12.

      The database begins with Surname A at
      http://naturalizationrecords.com/usa/intent1850-56a.shtml

      From there, follow the links at the END of the index to "A"
      names. This will take you to the other Surnames that are
      online. This work is thanks to volunteer transcriber Karen
      Cundari, who is busy transcribing this hard-to-read
      database.

      You'll notice there are many names marked as illegible or
      partially illegible. The ledger books that were filmed are
      faded and much of the writing is difficult if not
      impossible to see.

      This database is not the same one that is online for the
      years 1821-1991from the Albany County Hall of Records at
      http://www.AlbanyCounty.com

      I have other years online for Declarations of intention. So
      far I have the following uploaded on
      http://NaturalizationRecords.com/

      May 1832-Apr. 1837, Volumes (Books) 2 - 3. Surnames A to Z
      (complete)

      Apr. 1837-Apr. 1843 Volumes (Books) 4 - 6. Surnames [A][C]
      (ongoing project)

      Apr. 1843-May 1850 Volumes (Books) 7 - 8. Surnames [V] [W]
      [Y] [Z] (ongoing project)

      1850-1856 Volumes (Books) 9 - 12. Surnames [A][B Book 9][B
      Book 10][B Book 11][B Book 12] [E][F][G][H] (ongoing
      project)

      To view any of these free records, please start at
      http://naturalizationrecords.com/usa/ny_onlinedb.shtml and
      follow the links.

      *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
      No. 2:

      I have just uploaded Surnames N to T to the
      existing database Declarations of intention, 1843-1850 New
      York. Justices' Court (Albany) Books 7 & 8

      Thanks to volunteer transcriber Peggy Broughton who is
      working hard on this project. The database begins at
      http://naturalizationrecords.com/usa/nyintentbk7-8_n.shtml

      From there, follow the links at the END of the list of
      names. This will take you to the other Surnames that are
      online.

      This database is *not* the same one that is online from the
      Albany County Hall of Records at http://www.AlbanyCounty.com

      I have other years online for Declarations of intention.
      So far I have the following uploaded on
      http://NaturalizationRecords.com/

      May 1832-Apr. 1837, Volumes (Books) 2 - 3. Surnames A to

      Apr. 1837-Apr. 1843 Volumes (Books) 4 - 6. Surnames A & C

      Apr. 1843-May 1850 Volumes (Books) 7 - 8. Surnames N to Z

      1850-1856 Volumes (Books) 9 - 12. Surnames A to H

      I am looking for a volunteer (or two) to work on Volumes
      13-15 (1856-1864) If interested, please get in touch with me
      at otg@...

      To view any of these free records, please start at
      http://naturalizationrecords.com/usa/ny_onlinedb.shtml
      and
      follow the links.

      *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
      No. 3: JJ Cooke Shipping Records

      I've just added some new free ships passenger lists from
      the JJ Cooke Shipping Records. They are 10 ships sailing
      from Ireland to Pennsylvania, Quebec and St. John New
      Brunswick. A big thank you goes to volunteer Laura Freeman
      for transcribing these records for Olive Tree Genealogy

      You can use the links below to go directly to each ship.
      Let each page load completely, then scroll down to read the
      names. If you use the direct links you will go straight to
      the ship's passenger list. There are over 1,800 passengers
      total on these 10 ships. Many lists give the passengers
      ages and places of origin.

      You can also start at the JJ Cooke Shipping Records index
      page at http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jjcooke.shtml
      (There are ships to Louisiana there too) For those
      unfamiliar with these shipping records, they cover the
      years 1847-71 and are a valuable resource to fill in the
      missing Canadian shipping records years.

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jj_barbara51-stj.shtml
      Ship Barbara, Ireland to St. John, New Brunswick 1851

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jj_maryann52-stj.shtml
      Ship Mary Ann, Ireland to St. John, New Brunswick 1852

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jj_envoy52-q1.shtml
      Ship Envoy, Ireland to Quebec 1852, First Trip

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jj_envoy52-q2.shtml
      Ship Envoy, Ireland to Quebec 1852, Second Trip

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jj_envoy52-q3.shtml
      Ship Envoy, Ireland to Quebec 1852, Third Trip

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jj_envoy53-q.shtml
      Ship Envoy, Ireland to Quebec 1853

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jj_superior52-pa1.shtml
      Ship Superior, Ireland to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1852
      First Trip

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jj_superior52-pa2.shtml
      Ship Superior, Ireland to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1852
      Second Trip

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jj_barbara52-pa.shtml
      Ship Barbara, Ireland to Philadelphia Pennsylvania, 1852

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jj_anne52-pa.shtml
      Ship Anne, Ireland to Philadelphia Pennsylvania, 1852

      *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
      No. 4 Olive Tree Tip for Nelson Township, Halton County 1830
      Assessment Records!

      This is specifically of interest to anyone looking at land records in
      Ontario. Those of you searching Ontario know how scattered and spotty
      pre 1840 records are for the province. It can be frustrating trying
      to find what has survived and where it is accessible.

      For example, the 1830 Assessement for Nelson Tp. Halton County has
      columns filled in for what appear to be Concession and Lot numbers,
      as well as total acres owned, how many cultivated and how many
      uncultivated, but... there are no headings! There are a total of 10
      columns that have no headings - very puzzling and frustrating to a
      researcher

      I wrote to the Ontario Archives in an effort to find out what the
      columns were, and which columns were the Lot and Concession number
      (of great interest to me personally and to anyone searching for
      Nelson Tp. ancestors!).

      Wayne Crockett, Senior Archivist at the Ontario Archives, exchanged
      emails with me on this, but he could not find any notation of what
      those column headings were, and they had been torn off many years ago
      on all returns.

      So, I began my own little investigation, and am happy to report
      success! Using other land records and resources, I was able to match
      up known facts with those untitled columns. I've written to Mr.
      Crockett about my findings, and he's going to make some notes in the
      description of the records to bring out this information. I'm very
      excited about this because it helps me in my own research, and others
      will now benefit too.

      If your ancestors were in Nelson Township Halton County, read more
      about the 1830 Assessment Returns and find out what those 10 columns
      represent, at

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/can/ont/land.shtml

      Enjoy! If you folks would be interested in knowing about these
      records, please pass this note (or any part of it) on.