Passenger Lists to Virginia

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2002
      Passenger Lists to Virginia

      The original European settlers came to Virginia in the early 17th
      century from England. In the early 1700s, French Huguenots arrived,
      followed by Germans. During the 1730s and 1740s, many Scottish and
      German settlers migrated from Pennsylvania into Virginia.

      Before January 1, 1820, the U.S. Federal Government did not require
      require captains or masters of vessels to present a passenger list to
      U.S. officials.

      Most of the names of colonial immigrants to Virginia are listed in :
      o Filby, P. William, ed. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index: A
      Guide to Published Arrival Records of ... Passengers who Came to the
      United States and Canada in the Seventeenth, Eighteenth, and
      Nineteenth Centuries. 3 volumes plus annual supplements.

      Other Suggestions for Research

      o True, Ransom B. The Biographical Dictionary of Early Virginia, 1607-
      1660

      o Withington, Lathrop. Virginia Gleanings in England: Abstracts of
      17th and 18th-Century English Wills and Administrations Relating to
      Virginia and Virginians.

      o Coldham, Peter Wilson. The Complete Book of Emigrants, 1607-1776,
      and Emigrants in Bondage, 1614-1775

      One of the most popular pay-to-view databases is Great Migration
      Begins Index: Immigrants to New England, 1620-33. The Great Migration
      Begins includes more than one thousand sketches, each dedicated to a
      single immigrant or an immigrant family, arriving in New England
      between 1620 and 1633.

      For those who are interested, it is listed on the right hand side of
      my ships' passenger lists under FEATURED Off-Site Databases.
      Remember - it is a pay-to-view database and is not on The Olive Tree
      pages. (Note that my Olive Tree databases are free and always will
      be, but I link to pay-to-view databases that are of genealogical
      value)

      Free ships lists of passengers sailing to Virginia (including French
      Huguenots) can be found on The Olive Tree Genealogy's pages at

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/tousa_va.shtml

      You can also search for ships to Virginia (and other USA locations)
      in the 1700s by going directly to

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/tousap07.shtml

      Those lists marked with my Olive Tree logo are lists that are hosted
      on The Olive Tree Genealogy pages. Those lists marked with the square
      Off-Site button are hosted on other websites.

      Be sure to let each page on Olive Tree load fully before scrolling
      down to view my lists. Remember - look for the Olive Tree! Another
      menu of choices is found at the bottom of each page, and it is
      sometimes missed by visitors.

      Good luck and have fun!