New Free Databases on OTG

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2004

      V. 3 #5: New Free Databases on OTG

      Hello everyone,

      It's been a busy few weeks since my last newsletter, and I have lots
      of new free databases for you to check out.

      1. SHIPS PASSENGER LISTS
      2. 1840s LETTERS ON PAST VOICES
      3. GRACE CHURCH RECORDS, JAMAICA NEW YORK
      4. ORPHAN ASYLUMS NEW YORK

      *~*~*~*~*~*
      1. SHIPS PASSENGER LISTS

      I have more ships lists online for all researchers to view freely.

      First is the Aller, sailing from Bremen Germany via Southhampton to
      New York on 7 July 1888. It's at
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/allerp1.htm

      This is a set of 21 images of the passenger list AND a transcript of
      the names. The best of both worlds! Thanks goes to transcriber Cammie
      Nussbaum for undertaking this huge task with some very difficult
      names and to Elsa Vorwerk for sending me the copies of the passenger
      list.

      The index to other ships consisting of images of the passenger list,
      is at http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/

      I have also put two ships to Canada online.

      These are SS Montrose, from Liverpool arrived 19 June 1926 at
      Quebec. page 67 (Sheet 23) is at

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/ca_montrose1926part2.shtml

      Second is the S. S. Melita Liverpool to Quebec carrying soldiers
      dependents in 1919

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/melita1919_part2.shtml

      These Canadian ships were transcribed by Annette Fulford,who also
      transcribed several other ships of this time period. They are online
      and can be accessed at
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/tocanp01.shtml

      Let the page load, then scroll down to read the list of ships. Each
      one is a clickable link to the names of passengers.

      *~*~*~*~*~*
      2. NEW LETTERS ON PAST VOICES

      I have just uploaded 16 new letters on Past Voices: Letters Home, at
      http://pastvoices.com/

      These letters are fascinating - many include genealogical information
      on family members - who married whom, what family member or friend
      has died, or how many children a couple has. Often friends or
      neighbours are mentioned by name, and it's a wonderful read through
      to see if an ancestor is there!

      They are all from the Phillip F. Schlee Collection, and have been
      generously submitted to Past Voices for everyone to enjoy. Phillip
      has many more letters he has submitted, and more to submit in the
      days ahead, but it will take me awhile to get them all ready for
      online viewing, so keep checking back!

      For example here are some excerpts from a couple of the etters: "The
      graves of our dear sister and of Lucy Hacker are side by side - that
      of Nancy Shoue a short distance from them. "

      "I noticed Cousin J. & L. Mott & E. Yarnall, Mary Brown & one of her
      sons, E Davis & wife "

      "I saw H. C. Whitman, Arno Voss, W. W. Sifford (a student from
      Frederick Md) ..."

      "I regret to inform you of the death of Dr. John N. Anthony, Maria
      Mathewson's husband..."

      Some letters give a fascinating glimpse of immigrant life or what it
      was like on board ships

      "I frequently visit the Charity Hospital where there are between 400
      and 500 sick, many of them unacclimated, emigrants from almost every
      part of the world & none of them have any thing like yellow fever
      –
      not a single has yet appeared in that institution..."

      "I am now on board the Steamboat Southerner on the Alabama River on
      the way from Montgomery to Mobile..." (This letter gives a wonderful
      account of travelling from place to place by Steamboat in 1840

      Here's the list of today's letters.

      Letter from Elizabeth Baggott , Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio,
      to Mrs. Eliza Thornton, Alamucha P. O., Lauderdale County,
      Mississippi, March 14, 1847
      http://pastvoices.com/usa/baggot1847.shtml

      Letter to Miss Louise Lovejoy , Care of C. D. Ferries,Esq.,
      Buffalo, New York, from "Gustaf," New York, January
      20, 1849
      http://pastvoices.com/usa/lovejoy1849.shtml

      Letter from Mary P. Parsons , Goshen, Massachusetts, to her
      cousin Miss Julia A. Joy, Care of C. C. Grugan, No.140 Chesnut Str.,
      Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, November 20,1843
      http://pastvoices.com/usa/parsons1843.shtml

      Letter from Henry T. Spencer , Albany, New York, to Mr. George
      S. Riley, Rochester, Monroe County, New York, April 6, 1849
      http://pastvoices.com/usa/spencer1849.shtml

      Letter to Samuel Cox , Jr., Theological Seminary, Chelsea Square,
      New York, from his mother, A. M. Cox, April12, 1847; postmarked
      Philadelphia [?], Pennsylvania, April 12
      http://pastvoices.com/usa/cox1847.shtml

      Letter to Mrs. Amey French , care of Calvin French, Esq.,
      Proctorsville, Vermont, from "Amey," Providence, Rhode
      Island,
      February 11, 1848
      http://pastvoices.com/usa/french1848.shtml

      Letter to D. S. Edwards , M. D., Surgeon U. S. S. North Carolina,
      New York, from his brother, H. Edwards, New Orleans, Louisiana,
      September 20, 1845
      http://pastvoices.com/usa/edwards1845.shtml

      Letter from J. M. Earle , Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,to his wife
      Sarah H. (Hussey) Earle, Care of J. M. Earle, Worcester,
      Massachusetts, May 28, 1846
      http://pastvoices.com/usa/earle1846.shtml

      Letter to Arthur G. Hatch Esq ., American Exchange, Paris, France,
      from "Perce" – Moore, Low & Sanford, Attorneys and
      Counsellors, New
      York, July 14, 1884
      http://pastvoices.com/usa/hatch1884.shtml

      Letter from Mary Hogg , New York, to Miss Euphemia Taylor,
      Norwalk, Connecticut, February 7, 1844
      http://pastvoices.com/usa/hogg1844.shtml

      Letter to Mrs. B. C. Attwood, Bangor, Maine, from her brother,
      Benjamin Gilbert , Boston, Massachusetts, July 7, 1842
      http://pastvoices.com/usa/gilbert1842.shtml

      Letter to Mr. Jas. B. E. Daugherty , No. 140/2 High St.,
      Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, from his brother, M. Jos. Daugherty,
      Lancaster, Ohio, October 24, 1842
      http://pastvoices.com/usa/daugherty1842.shtml

      Letter to Mrs. Henry W. "Martha" Taylor , Care of C.
      C.Trowbridge,
      Esqr., Detroit, Michigan, from her father, M. O. Masters, Montgomery,
      Alabama, December 20 and 24, 1840
      http://pastvoices.com/usa/taylor1840.shtml

      John King , Ledyard, Cayuga County, New York, to Thomas B. Gould,
      Newport, Rhode Island, February 5, 1855
      http://pastvoices.com/usa/king1855.shtml

      Letter to Mr. A. J. [L. J.?] Millard, Port Clinton, Ottawa County,
      Ohio, from W. A. Thomson, Concord, Pennsylvania October 19, 1845
      http://pastvoices.com/usa/thomson1845.shtml

      Letter to Mrs. Julia E. Terry , Care of Ward Woodbridge, Esq.,
      Hartford, Connecticut, from her husband,Charles A. Terry, Cleveland,
      Ohio, August 17, 1842
      http://pastvoices.com/usa/terry1842.shtml

      *~*~*~*~*~*
      3. GRACE CHURCH RECORDS, JAMAICA NEW YORK

      Today I uploaded some records for Grace Church, Jamaica, NY. Thanks
      to transcriber Peter Devine, I have the following records online and
      several more coming.

      Baptisms Grace Church, Jamaica, New York 1710-1731
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/nn/church/jamaicanybpt.shtml

      Marriages Grace Church, Jamaica, New York 1710-1731
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/nn/church/jamaicanymarr.shtml

      Burials Grace Church, Jamaica, New York 1710-1731
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/nn/church/jamaicanydeath.shtml

      Peter has transcribed the following records, which I will put online
      as soon as I have them ready. Peter also has taken some photographs
      of the church and graveyard, which I will add to the lists.

      *All* records are free, please let each page load fully before
      scrolling down to read the names.

      Here is the list of records that Peter has also transcribed, but I
      don't have ready yet to go online, so keep checking back

      -Baptisms 1780-1802
      -Marriages 1769-1810
      -Deaths 1790-1795
      -Tombstones 1846 and on
      -Communicants Miscellaneous Churches in Flushing, Jamaica &
      Newtown 1791-1794

      *~*~*~*~*~*
      4. ORPHAN ASYLUMS NEW YORK
      I added 4 new lists of names of orphans in Orphan Asylums in New
      York.

      Many of these lists give the birthplaces of the children's parents -
      and these include New York, Ireland, Germany,Canada, Scotland,
      Italy, Spain, France and various other states in the USA

      Some of these are large files, they may take a little longer to load,
      please be patient. There are over 900 names total in these 4
      orphanages.

      The new orphan lists are:

      St. Patrick's Male Orphan Asylum, Cortlandt, Westchester County, New
      York 1880

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/orphans1880stpats.htm

      Troy Catholic Orphan (Male) Asylum, Troy, Rensalaer County New York
      1880

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/orphans1880troy.htm

      St. Vincent's Orphan Protectory (Male) Uitca, Oneida County, New York
      1880

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/orphans1880utica.htm

      St. Joseph's Female Orphan Asylum, Brooklyn, Kings County New York
      1880

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/orphans1880brooklyn.htm

      The index to all my New York Orphan Records is at

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/orphans.htm

      Remember these records are free to use, so enjoy and I hope you find
      an ancestor or two.

      If you want to let others know about these records, please feel free
      to forward this message on.

      Enjoy!