Lists Of Stockholders Canada & USA 1890

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2004

      V. 3 #1: Lists Of Stockholders Canada & USA 1890

      Hello Everyone,

      I hope everyone had a great holiday season. It was a busy one for me
      personally and for Olive Tree Genealogy. Many site problems arose
      (beyond my control) and took several weeks to fix, but I'm happy to
      report that all sites are functioning now on a new host. I will be
      moving Olive Tree to its new host sometime in February, but the URL
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ will remain the same. I'll keep you
      posted because there may be a 1 to 3 day downtime when I move it.

      But now, on to my most recent 'find'!

      Recently I found an old book called "Report of the
      Superintendent of Insurance of the Dominion of Canada for
      the Year Ending 31st December 1890"

      The book was published in 1891 in Ottawa, and included in
      its pages are approximately 60 pages of names of
      shareholders and guarantors for various Insurance and
      Assurance Companies across Canada & USA.

      The date for the list of names is 1890 and the wonderful
      thing about these is that they include people from all over
      Canada, as well as USA and Europe.

      Each individual has a residence listed, in some cases, an
      actual street address. What really intrigued me about these
      lists was that the shareholders' residences included such
      places as:

      Ontario, British Columbia, Nova Scotia, Scotland, New York,
      Quebec, Vermont, Pennsylvania, NWT, England, Illinois,
      India, Newfoundland, Manitoba, Cape Breton, Jamaica,
      Ireland, Kentucky, Tennessee, Massachussets, Minnesota,
      Ohio, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Channel
      Islands, France and Wales. (I may have missed a few
      locations)

      These lists can be used to verify that an individual lived
      in a certain place in 1890. They also contain quite a bit
      of detail for some entries, which are terrific clues for
      further research. Here's a few examples:

      One listing is for

      "Edward Rawlings, Montreal" and under his name, labelled as
      "in trust" are the names Miss A L Rawlings, Miss E M
      Rawlings, Miss KNB Rawlings, George W Rawlings, HEA
      Rawlings, and WT Rawlings

      Beside Edward's name is his number of shares in the
      Guarantee Company of North America - 4645, amount
      subscribed for 232,250, paid in cash 52,610. His children
      are noted as to their number of shares, amount subscribed
      for and amount paid up in cash - each child except Miss AL
      has 5 shares, 250 subscribed for and 250 paid in cash. Miss
      AL has 6 shares, 300 subscribed for and 300 paid in cash.

      It occurred to me that this entry meant that Edward had
      died, and the rest of the names were his heirs, most likely
      his children, given the words "in trust". So I checked the
      online 1881 census at http://familysearch.org/ and found
      Edward and his family living in Montreal (Ste Antoine Ward)

      They were:

      Edward Rawlings b England, 41
      Lucinda Rawlings b Ire. 39
      Lucinda Rawlings b Que. 12 [Miss A L from the book?]
      George Rawlings b Que 8 [George W from the book]
      Henry Rawlings b Que 5 [HEA from the book?]
      Walter Rawlings b Que 4 [WT from the book?]
      Edith Rawlings b Que 2 [Miss EM from the book?]
      daughter, b. Feb. 1881 [probably Miss KNB from the book]

      This gives you some idea of the usefulness of this book

      Thanks to some wonderful volunteer transcribers I am able
      to bring these names to you. I hope you enjoy these names,
      and that you find an ancestor or two.

      You can start your search in these lists of names at
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/canada/shareholders.htm

      Scroll down the page to choose from the following:

      -The Accident Insurance Company of North America (List of
      Shareholders)
      -The Boiler Inspection & Insurance Company of Canada (List
      of Shareholders)
      -British America Assurance Company (List of Shareholders)
      -Canada Accident Insurance Company (List of Shareholders)
      -The Canada Life Assurance Company (List of Shareholders)
      -The Citizens' Insurance Company of Canada (List of
      Shareholders)
      -Confederation Life Association (List of Shareholders)
      -The Dominion Life Assurance Company (List of Shareholders)
      -Dominion Safety Fund Life Association (List of
      Stockholders)
      -Dominion Plate Glass Insurance Company (List of
      Stockholders)
      -Eastern Assurance Company of Canada (List of Shareholders)
      -Federal Life Assurance Company (List of Shareholders)
      -Guarantee Company of North America (List of Shareholders)
      -London Life Insurance Company (List of Shareholders)
      -Manufacturers' Accident Insurance Company (List of
      Stockholders)
      -Manufacturers LIfe Insurance Company (List of
      Shareholders)
      -North American Life Assurance Company (List of Guarantors)
      -Quebec Fire Assurance Company (List of Stockholders)
      -Royal Canadian Insurance Company (List of Stockholders)
      -Sun Life Insurance Company (List of Shareholders)
      -The Temperance and General Life Assurance Company (list of
      Guarantors)
      -Western Assurance Company (List of Shareholders)

      So far I have 13 lists online, thanks to Jim Clark and
      Robyn Paterson. There are over 1,600 names in these 13
      lists!

      The URL again is http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/canada/shareholders.htm

      There are other volunteer transcribers hard at work on the
      rest of the lists, so please check back often to see what
      new ones have been put online

      Enjoy this free database, and please feel free to pass this
      message on to anyone you think might be interested.