Power Blackout, Olive Tree Genealogy Grant & New Files Online

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2003

      V. 2 #16: Power Blackout, Olive Tree Genealogy Grant & New Files
      Online

      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
      I hope those who, like me, were affected by the Thursday blackout are
      now okay.

      Ontario declared a State of Emergency, and I personally didn't have
      any power for over 20 hours. By the second day, after throwing out
      all the food that defrosted and went bad, we didn't have much left.
      No stores were open and the the lineups for gas were hundreds of cars
      long.

      The water shortage was a big concern for my family. We are on a well
      but it's a drilled well and runs from an electric pump. You can't
      dump a bucket down and pull up water so I was a bit worried. Luckily
      by early afternoon on the second day we found one store open that had
      water to sell. When power went on briefly, we ran around filling
      every container I had!

      We were warned to expect rotating blackouts, as power is needed for
      other parts of the country, but we haven't experienced that. However,
      my ISP shut down for half days, so I can only go online part of the
      day. By Monday we hope to be fully powered here. I hope everyone else
      has their power back now.

      And now for the genealogy part of the newsletter :-)

      1. Grant Awarded to OTG
      2. Images of Ships Passenger Lists to Baltimore Maryland
      3. Index to Register of Passports USA 1834 to 1843 COMPLETED!
      4. Register of Passport Applications, Dec. 21 1810 - Oct. 7, 1817
      5. Bargain Corner

      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
      1. Grant Awarded to OTG

      Fantastic news! I'm so excited at this news that I had to share
      it! Olive Tree Genealogy has been awarded a grant for August from
      Honoring Our Ancestors.

      http://www.honoringourancestors.com/grants.html

      The grant is for my ongoing project to fill in the 1847-1892 index
      gap for passenger arrival records in New York.

      This generous grant has allowed me to purchase more records to
      transcribe.

      This project consists of 3 sets of records:

      1. NY Times Extracts for ship arrivals and passenger names
      2. Images of actual passenger lists in this time period
      3. NY Almshouse records for 1855-1858

      The complete index of NY Times years and shipping news extracts is at
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/nytimes.htm

      Images of ships passenger lists for these Unindexed NY years are also
      online at http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/

      The Almshouse Records start at
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/ny_alms1855.htm

      And now - back to transcribing! :-)

      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
      2. Images of Ships Passenger Lists to Baltimore Maryland

      Here are the new ships lists online, all for the arrival
      port of Baltimore Maryland. These are graphics of the
      actual passenger lists - some are also transcribed, some
      are not. These are all free to use, as are all databases on
      Olive Tree Genealogy.

      Brig Fashion from Ponce to Baltimore Maryland 12 May 1851
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/md_fashion1851.htm
      [images of passenger list plus transcription]

      Brig Jabez from Bermuda to Baltimore Maryland 13 May 1851
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/md_jabez1851.htm
      [images
      of passenger list plus transcription]

      Bark Indus from Rio de Janeiro to Baltimore Maryland 14 May 1851
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/md_indus1851.htm
      [images of passenger list plus transcription]

      Brig Mary Elizabeth from St. Thomas to Baltimore Maryland 14 May 1851
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/md_maryeliz1851.htm
      [images of passenger list plus transcription]

      Ship Albert from Bremen Germany to Baltimore Maryland 20 May 1851
      [10 pages, no transcription]
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/md_albert1851.htm

      Ship Annapolis from Liverpool to Baltimore Maryland 20 May 1851 [10
      pages, no transcription]
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/md_annapolis1851.htm

      The index to other images of ships passenger lists (the actual
      manifests) is at
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/

      Thanks to visitor David Asprey who volunteered to use the online
      images and write up the list of names, I have the transcription for
      Annapolis (but I haven't been able to upload it yet) Watch for it
      soon!

      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
      3. Index to Register of Passports USA 1834 to 1843

      The Index on http://NaturalizationRecords.com/ is finally complete!!

      Thanks to volunteer Pam Gera, the entire set of surnames has been
      transcribed.

      Browse the alphabetical index of "A" names, then choose another
      surname letter to look at (the links are directly under the list of
      names)

      http://naturalizationrecords.com/usa/passports1834_a.shtml

      These passports were granted to citizens of the United States going
      to foreign countries. Passports were granted to those who satisified
      the requirement that they be "entitled to receive them"

      Each applicant had to present evidence that they were a citizen of
      the USA and a description of his person: Age, Height (Stature),
      Forehead, Eyes, Nose, Mouth, Chin, Hair,Complexion, Face

      If the applicant's wife, children or servants were to accompany him,
      or any females under his protection, only their names and ages plus
      their relationship to the applicant was needed.

      Remember this is an INDEX to such passports issued from 1834 to 1843.
      The applicants residences covered all of the USA. Full details can be
      found on microfilm. To get the film (with details) follow the
      instructions given on each page of names.

      These records are free, and thanks to my volunteers I am able to put
      them online for researchers to use.

      Other passport records being worked on are found at
      http://naturalizationrecords.com/usa/passports.shtml

      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
      4. Register of Passport Applications, Dec. 21 1810 - Oct. 7, 1817

      These passports were granted to citizens of the United States going
      to foreign countries. Passports were granted to those who satisified
      the requirement that they be "entitled to receive them"

      Although this database states that it begins Dec. 21, 1810 the first
      page contains the first part of 1809. The only months visible are
      Sept. The second page begins with June 28, 1810 and it is not until
      page 5 that we see Dec. 21, 1810.

      Information found in these records includes Date of application,
      First Name, Surname, Remarks, Location, Age, Height, Distinguishing
      Marks.

      You will find applicants from all over USA - with specific mentions
      of Connecticut, Philadelphia, New York, DC, Newport Rhode Island,
      Boston and more....

      Thanks to volunteer Cindy Gray, I have the complete set for 1809,
      1810, 1811, 1812, 1814, and 1815 online. 1816 and 1817 will follow.
      For some reason there are no records for 1813.

      1809 starts at
      http://naturalizationrecords.com/usa/passports1809.shtml

      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
      5. Bargain Corner.

      I couldn't find any new free genealogy items this issue but I did
      find something new in Genealogy Software that is reasonably priced -
      FTM 11 is now available!

      I have a copy of FTM 11 and I love it! Some of the new things it does
      are

      * fast & easy backup to CD
      * improved merging process for files
      * apply individual or marriage notes to Family Book
      * export Family Book to PDF files
      * open two files at once
      * copy and paste information between files

      You can upgrade from an earlier version for less than $20.00. That's
      what I did, and I love that I can choose different background colors
      (no more yellow!), so I have different files in different colors.
      This really helps me when copying and pasting from one to the other.

      You can read more about it and buy it from the link I have at

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/index1.shtml

      Click on the link for FTM Version 11 at the top of the left hand side
      bar

      Well, that's it, I hope everyone enjoys this issue and has great
      success in their ancestor hunt