Salt Lake City Research & Continuing online Projects

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2003

      V. 2 #15: Salt Lake City Research & Continuing online Projects

      1. Salt Lake City Research - Tips
      2. Alms House Admission Foreigners & Nativity Records ( New
      York City, NY) Bond Registers 1855-1858. (Update)
      3. The Unindexed New York Years, 1847-1896 (Update)

      1. Salt Lake City Research - Tips

      Hi everyone,

      Are you ready for a trip to Salt Lake City Library? It's
      fantastic! I just returned from a great time there so
      thought I'd share a few tips and suggestions.

      1. Have a plan before you go.

      Decide what you want to find out. I made a list of dozens
      of things I wanted to look for - from a specific ships'
      passenger lists going to New York, to church records in
      Iowa to land records for great great grandpa in Sullivan
      County New York 1830s to naturalization records for several
      of my ancestors in Michigan. [Check for Online Ships'
      Passenger Lists at http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/ or
      for Naturalization Film numbers at
      http://naturalizationrecords.com/ ]

      2. Check the online Family History Library Catalogue to
      find out what they have available.

      Make a list of the film numbers or book call numbers you
      need. Write it down on your plan beside each item you want
      to look for. That saves you time and thinking once there.
      After a day or two of intensive searching your brain will
      turn to mush. Your plan will be your salvation, because it
      is already thought out and
      organized for searching. [ See the FHL Catalogue at
      sp ]

      I have 8 more tips for using the Library in Salt Lake City
      online at http://olivetreegenealogy.com/articles/slc.shtml

      I hope you find these tips helpful! It's a fantastic city
      and Library and I hope everyone experiences it at least

      2. Alms House Admission Foreigners & Nativity Records ( New
      York City, NY) Bond Registers 1855-1858. (Update)

      New York City was a very busy port for ships. One of the
      difficult things about searching for ancestors arriving
      there is that the ships passenger lists aren't indexed from
      1847 to 1896.

      However I've been working on a project to transcribe the
      Alms House Admission Foreigners & Nativity Records ( New
      York City, NY) Bond Registers 1855-1858.

      These records contain the names of individuals who were
      impoverished, and who sought help at the Almshouse. The
      transcribed records contain the place of birth of each
      individual as well as the name of the ship they sailed on
      to reach N. America. The year of arrival is also noted, and
      the ports of departure and arrival. This is a wonderful
      resource for the unindexed NY years!

      Dating back to the colonial era, New York City assumed
      responsibility for its citizens who were destitute, sick,
      homeless, or otherwise unable to care for themselves.

      The city maintained an almshouse, various hospitals, and a
      workhouse on Blackwell's Island (now called Roosevelt
      Island) for the poor.

      The information fields are: Date of Admission, Name, Age,
      Nativity, Time of Arrival, Port Sailed From, Port Arrived
      At, Ship, Captain, Married or Single, Who Can Identify
      Them, How Many Times on The Island, Remarks

      The index to the records can be found at

      Here is an example of the kinds of information found in
      Almshouse records:

      In Mar 1856 John Coleman, age 15, single, from Ireland
      applied for relief. He told the clerk of the Almshouse that
      sailed from Liverpool on the Ship Ontario, arriving on 19
      Dec. 1855 in New York. He didn't know the Captain's name,
      and had no one to vouch for him from New York City. It was
      his first time 'on the island" (meaning applying for
      relief). He was discharged in April 1856

      Sometimes comments were added in the column for death or
      discharge dates. For example, poor Bridget Connor applied
      for relief on Apr 30, 1855. Bridget, 26, a spinster from
      Ireland told the clerk she sailed "about 20 months ago"
      from Tralee to Quebec.

      Bridget gave her ship name as Payoo or Payne, Captain
      O'Donohan commanding. This was her third time on the
      island,and the clerk recorded "Stupid" beside her discharge
      date of 16 Jan. '57 (If you find an ancestor with such a
      notation, or "insane" , don't be alarmed - sometimes not
      knowing how to add was enough to be labelled as "stupid"!)

      The places of origin and of arrival are not all New York.
      Ports of arrival include Quebec, Boston, NY, Philadelphia,
      New Orleans, and more.

      Places of origin include Ireland, Gilbraltar, Germany,
      England, Canada, Switzerland, Holland and more

      Start your search of these free records at

      A big thank you goes to volunteer Nancy Profit for her hard work in
      transcribing those surnames.

      This set of records adds to the existing records I have
      already transcribed and put online for the NYC Almshouse
      for 1819-1827 (with 1828 to 1840 to follow) starting at

      I hope you enjoy this set of records; it's great fun
      reading and transcribing these wonderful entries!

      3. The Unindexed New York Years, 1847-1896 (Update)

      Continuing with my project "The Unindexed New York Years,
      1847-1896", I've just uploaded 12 more ships from the New
      York Times Arrivals from Sept. 1851. Thanks goes to
      volunteer Diane McClay for her help with this NY Times
      portion of the Project

      The complete index of NY Times years and shipping news
      extracts is at

      The extracts for 1851 are at

      The new ships can be found at:

      Mary Morris Sept. 23 1851 Glasgow, Arrival New York

      Norma Sept. 23 1851 Havana Cuba, Arrival New York

      Cherokee Sept. 23 1851 New Orleans via Havana Cuba,
      New York

      Washington Sept. 24 1851 from Breman & Southampton,
      New York

      Brother Jonathan Sept. 24 1851 Chagres via Savannah
      Georgia, Arrival New York

      Sarah Sept. 24 1851 Glasgow, Arrival New York

      Hendrik Hudson Sept. 24 1851 London England, Arrival New

      Gypsy Queen Sept. 24 1851 Dublin, Ireland, Arrival New

      Argo Sept. 24 1851 Liverpool, Arrival New York

      Africa Sept 25 1851 Liverpool, Arrival New York

      Guy Mannering Sept 25 1851 Liverpool Arrival New York

      London Sept 25 1851 London & Portsmouth England, Arrival
      New York

      Index to the project "The Unindexed New York Years, 1847-
      1896" is at http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/

      As always, all records on my sites are free for all to use.
      Please pass this message on to anyone who might be

      If you need other years for New York ship arrivals and
      passenger lists, see the URLs below
      NARA & FHC film numbers for NY passenger lists after 1820

      Passenger Lists to New York all years

      Search Engine for online Internet Passenger Lists to NY

      I hope everyone will drop by Olive Tree Genealogy and take a look at
      my new Welcome page. Go to http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ I'm
      curious if my new setup is helpful to you, do you like it better than
      the old page? Does it help guide you to the free online records I

      If you have time, please drop me a note (you can hit REPLY to this
      newsletter or mail to me at lorine@... with the
      subject OTG NEW LOOK - MY OPINION ) and tell me what you like or
      don't like about the new look! It's meant to help those new to my
      site find their way around, but I need feedback from visitors to know
      if you like it.