Verifying Online Information - and evaluating sources

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2003

      V. 2 #14:Verifying Online Information - and evaluating sources

      Hi everyone

      I hope you're enjoying your summer, and having tremendous success
      researching!

      July has been a busy month for me, and I haven't got many new files
      online yet. I do have lots waiting to be coded and uploaded to the
      website for you to use, I just need to find a few more hours in the
      day to finish them :-)

      Records waiting to be proof-read and coded are:

      o Index to Passports (USA) 1830-1831

      o Index to Naturalization Petitions for NY, 1850-1860 Surnames B & C

      o Index to Special Passport Applications 1829-1887 Surnames H, I, J, K
      Surnames A to G are online at
      http://naturalizationrecords.com/usa/passports1829-87a.shtml

      o Ships from Ireland to Pennsylvania 1847-1849 (14 ships)See the
      start of this project at
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/tousap18b.shtml

      o Ships from Ireland to St. John New Brunswick 1847-1849 (8 ships)See
      the start of this project at
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/tocanp03.shtml

      o Ships from Ireland to Quebec 1847-1849 (6 ships)See the start of
      this project at http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/tocanp03.shtml

      o Passport Applications 1810-1817 Project is already started at
      http://naturalizationrecords.com/usa/passports1809.shtml

      o NY Times Ships Arrivals 1851 (18 more ships)
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/nytimes1851.htm

      o Ships from Ireland to USA 1811-1817(17 ships)- See the start of
      this project at http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/tousap15.shtml

      o Census Records in Quebec 1825-1861 See the start of this project at
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/can/quebec.shtml

      The Utah online Naturalization Records page has been updated ,so if
      you have ancestors who settled in Utah, you'll want to have a look.
      http://naturalizationrecords.com/usa/ut_onlinedb.shtml

      Also, be sure you look at the updated ships passenger lists going to
      New York, at http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/

      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
      Because most of us spend a lot of time on websites, trying to find an
      ancestor, or more information on one, I thought I'd share a few
      comments with you about sources and verifying your information you
      find online.

      For example, Olive Tree Genealogy doesn't alter its source material
      when it goes online. If the record reads "Wm. Johnsin" that's how it
      goes online, even if experience tells me that it most likely refers
      to an individual named "William Johns(t)on"

      Altering original sources gets into murky waters in genealogical
      research! You might be interested in this excerpt from my article "I
      Found My Great Great Grandfather Online -- Now What!!??? (Verifying
      Records Found On Webpages)"
      © Lorine McGinnis Schulze http://olivetreegenealogy.com/index.shtml

      "You just found a church record for the marriage of your great great
      grandfather, or the record of your 4th great grandparents on a
      passenger list of a ship to the New World in 1777 - wow! But you have
      questions - how accurate is this information? How can you verify it?

      All records have the potential for error once they have been
      transcribed. This results in the possibility of culmination of errors
      with each succeeding transcription. Deliberate altering of the
      records (such as adding details the transcriber believes are correct;
      changing the spelling of names etc) results in even more possibility
      of corruption......."

      There are 5 steps, you the researcher, can take to be sure you are
      getting accurate information when you find records on websites. Read
      about them at http://olivetreegenealogy.com/articles/verify.shtml

      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
      Continuing along these lines, you may want to read "Genealogy Without
      Sources is Mythology!" © Lorine McGinnis Schulze
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/index.shtml

      "How can you tell if the information posted by individuals on
      Internet genealogy sites is valid? Some sites have sources, others
      don't. How do you know what, and when, to believe what you read
      online??

      A good rule of thumb is....

      Don't trust anything you find on the 'net (or elsewhere) if it
      doesn't have sources......"

      Read more about this at
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/articles/myth.shtml

      If you're in the mood to do some reading to learn some tips and
      techniques to help you in your search for your brick-wall ancestor,
      be sure to take a look at my articles on Olive Tree Genealogy. It's
      called GENIE GEMS on the main menu, but you can go directly there
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/articles/articles.shtml

      Enjoy!