Passports, Emigrants from England and more

  • olivetreegenealogy <otg@csolve.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2003
      The Olive Tree Genealogy Newsletter --- helping you find the
      roots and branches of your family tree.

      V. 2 #3: New Records Online!

      *************************
      Emigrants from England

      I've just uploaded a new set of records on Olive Tree.

      I have an index to Surnames of Emigrants from England to USA 1773 to
      1776 now available at

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/

      Surnames A start at
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/english1773-76a.htm

      There are a total of 1,814 names (Surnames A to G) online,with the
      rest following as quickly as I can transcribe them.When complete
      there will be over 6,000 names for you to search.

      Remember that this is an INDEX to names along with page numbers for
      reference.

      After finding an ancestor in the index, you will need to obtain the
      full record on microfilm or in published books. Full details are
      given online as to how to do this.

      *************************
      Passport Applications USA

      I've been working on a new database for NaturalizationRecords.com.
      With the help of Pam Gera's volunteer efforts, I am uploading an
      index to Passport Applications for the entire USA from 1834-1843

      It's a huge database, there are over 700 names online now - and we
      only have Surnames A, B and C online! (I have Surnames D and E almost
      ready for uploading and you should see them online by the weekend)

      These passports were granted to citizens of the United States going
      to foreign countries. Each applicant had to present evidence that
      they were a citizen of the USA and a description of his person, so
      they are a terrific resource for narrowing an immigration year and
      putting some meat on those ancestral bones.

      For example, Newton Adams and wife are on the index to "A" surnames.
      The full record shows: Newton Adams and his wife Sarah C. Adams were
      issued Passport # 3554 on 22 Nov. 1834 The passport was requested by
      N. Adams, Canandaigua [NY] and sent to him at Boston. Newton was 30
      years old, 6 feet tall, with a high forehead, gray eyes, brown hair
      and a light complexion

      Once you find your name of interest on the alphabetical index that
      Pam and I are creating, you can order the film for the full record.
      I've included examples of what you will find on the complete passport
      application plus complete details on what film to order and where.

      Online now is the index to the Register of Passports from 14 November
      1834 to 1843

      Start at
      http://naturalizationrecords.com/usa/passports.shtml

      or go directly to Surnames A at
      http://naturalizationrecords.com/usa/passports1834_a.shtml

      Please feel free to pass this message on to other lists or
      researchers you think would be interested. As always, these records
      are FREE to use, there is never a fee to view any of the online
      databases (over 750 now!!) at Olive Tree Genealogy or any of OTG's
      sister sites.

      *************************

      The Arkansas Index to Naturalizations is complete and online for
      surnames A to M. Surnames N to Z will follow as soon as possible.

      Start at Index to Surnames "A" at
      http://naturalizationrecords.com/usa/ar_natrecind-a.shtml

      *************************

      I have quite a backlog of records ready to put online (where does the
      time go and why aren't there 36 hours in every day??) These include
      ships passenger lists, more passport applications, more NY intentions
      1827-1895, some new Almhouse Registers 1819-1840 (these include names
      of ships the immigrant arrived on), and Passports issued 1809 - 1817

      I'll keep everyone posted as I can get them online.

      I haven't found any great new freebies this time - but be sure to
      check out the old ones being offered. They are all still good deals.
      You can see what I've found at
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/freegenealogy.shtml

      Have fun and hope you find an ancestor or two