New Website for Olive Tree!

  • olivetreegenealogy <otg@csolve.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2003
      The Olive Tree Genealogy Newsletter --- helping you find the
      roots and branches of your family tree.

      V. 2 #1: New Website!

      *************************

      Hi everyone,

      I haven't sent a newsletter in awhile because I've been very busy
      gathering records and links and information for a brand new website.
      I just put it online on Thursday, so please go and have a look and
      see what you think. I hope you like it and that it helps you find
      your ancestors!

      As usual, it's a work in progress and I will be adding information
      and links as I find them. I have several exciting databases that I
      an eager to transcribe for the new website - a huge job and one I'll
      be plugging away at slowly over this long cold winter up north.
      (Hint: These databases include passport applications early 1800s,
      indexes to naturalization records, almshouse records from NY City
      with dates of arrival, ship names, ports of departure and entry.. and
      more!)

      TITLE: Naturalization Records USA & Canada

      naturalization records. Learn where to find declarations of
      intent, first papers, alien registrations, passport
      applications, petitions of naturalization and certificates
      of citizenship. HIGHLIGHTS: Immigration & Emigration, USA,
      Canada, Searchable databases, Naturalization

      *************************

      Palatine Ships Lists

      I've recently uploaded the following ships carrying Palatines
      from Germany to Pennsylvania:

      Loyal Judith 3 Sept. 1742
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/pal_loyjudith1742.shtml

      Loyal Judith 2 Sept. 1743
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/pal_loyjudith1743.shtml

      Rosanna 26 Sept. 1743
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/pal_rosanna1743.shtml

      These 3 ships passenger lists join those I already have
      online for Palatines to Pennsylvania between 1727 and 1808
      at

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/palship_list.shtml

      My total number of online ships passenger lists for this
      time period carrying Germans to PA is 85. This is an ongoing
      project and I will be adding more ships continually.

      *************************
      New York Ships Lists

      I have added 5 new ships passenger lists for ships to New
      York in 1850 and 1851. Many of these ships carried Irish
      immigrants, one carried French passengers.

      These lists are *graphics*, that is, actual images of the
      manifests. They are not transcribed elsewhere on Olive Tree,
      and they are not searchable, you must browse each image for
      your names.

      Today's uploads:

      Star of the West, Liverpool to NY 1850 (360 passengers
      mainly Irish) 15 images
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/ny_starwest1.htm

      New York, Dec. 1850 Havres to New York (mainly French
      passengers) 5 images
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/ny_newyork1.htm

      Abby Land 20 Dec. 1850 Liverpool to NY 5 images (I am not
      sure that is the ship name; it was difficult to read the
      second part)
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/ny_abbyland1.htm

      Niagara 26 Dec. 1850 Liverpool to NY (mainly Irish
      passengers) 7 images
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/ny_niagara1.htm

      Joseph Walker, 6 Jan 1851 Liverpool to NY 15 images
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/ny_jwalker1.htm

      Births at sea are noted, as are deaths. Some lists have
      stowaways listed on the manifest (names and ages) so you may
      be in luck if your ancestor was a stowaway *and* was
      discovered before the end of the voyage.

      These ships are part of the UNindexed New York arrivals. New
      York has no filmed indexes for 1847-1896. These Olive Tree
      ships should help if you need to find an ancestor arriving
      in the unindexed years. They are NOT in text form anywhere on Olive
      Tree, you must scroll through the graphics to find an ancestor

      Index of all graphics of ships lists is at
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/

      *************************

      Well, that's it for our first newsletter of the year 2003. Let's get
      the year off to a rolling start and find those elusive ancestors!

      I am putting out a call for volunteers willing to transcribe some
      databases. You will need to be able to read old handwriting of the
      1800s from graphics, then type the information into a text editor or
      Excel database.

      I have hundreds of pages of records waiting to be transcribed for
      Olive Tree and NaturalizationRecords.com and welcome any help. There
      just aren't enough hours in the day for me to do all this alone.

      Please write me at otg@... if you want to be part of this
      exciting venture to bring free genealogical information online

      And speaking of free.... please visit
      http://naturalizationrecords.com/freedata.shtml for a look at some of
      the free services I've found in the last few months

      Good hunting!