USA Immigration, Mennonites, Canada Info, and more

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2002
      The Olive Tree Genealogy Newsletter --- helping you find the
      roots and branches of your family tree.

      V. 1 #37: New on OTG
      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

      Hi everyone,

      I've been working hard on different sections of Olive Tree. I hope
      that you will find an ancestor!

      Lorine

      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

      O Canada!

      My Ontario Section of Olive Tree has had a major update. I added
      hundreds of new links to online records of births, baptisms,
      marriages, burials and deaths. I also added information on how to
      obtain birth, marriage and death certs in Ontario, and a link to an
      online form for sending for certs.

      The massive link additions forced me to create new pages so that you
      would not have to scroll through screen after screen to find what you
      need for those brick-wall Canadian ancestors.

      Vital Stats - Birth Records in Ontario
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/can/ont/ont_vsbirths.shtml

      Vital Stats - Marriage Records in Ontario
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/can/ont/ont_vsmarr.shtml

      Vital Stats - Death Records in Ontario
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/can/ont/ont_vsdeath.shtml

      I also found some fantastic online databases for old newspaper
      records, and got happily side-tracked looking for my own Ontario
      lines (with success!) They have been added as links to my revamped
      Newspaper Records in Ontario at
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/can/ont/npaper.shtml

      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

      Mennonite Immigration to North America

      I found so many great databases online for records of Mennonites
      arriving at Canadian ports (Halifax, St. John and Quebec) and then
      heading on to Western Provinces of Canada or to dozens of USA states,
      that I had to create a page for all this material.

      This new page is found at

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/menntocan.shtml

      I also started extracting names of Mennonites found in the 1871
      census for Ontario, and links to the results are at the URL above.

      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
      New Netherland/New York updates and additions

      Last week I sent the following notice to a few New York mailing
      lists. If you're looking for ancestors who were in NY at any point in
      time, I'd hate for you to miss this, so here is the note I sent:

      Recent uploads to Olive Tree Genealogy include the following
      New Netherland/New York files:

      MERCHANT AND REDCOAT: THE PAPERS OF JOHN GORDON MACOMB, JULY
      1757 TO JUNE 1760 (NEW YORK, BRITISH ARMY)
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/nn/misc/mccomb175760.shtml

      Dutchess County List of Freeholders 1740
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/nn/census/dutchess1740.shtml

      Here are the Olive Tree census and census substitute records
      previously put online and available at
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/nn/census/

      Palatines in New York 1710
      List of Debts in Colony of Rensellaerswyck 1664
      1720 Albany County Census
      1737 list of Freeholders Dutchess County
      Kings' County Oath of Allegiance 1687
      Inhabitants Flushing 1698
      List of Quakers in Flushing 1755
      List of Quakers in New Town 1755
      List of Quakers in Hempstead 1755
      List of Quakers in Oyster Bay 1755
      List of Quakers in Hempstead 1755
      List of Quakers in NYC 1755
      1737 list of Freeholders Suffolk Co.
      1698 Inhabitants of Southampton
      1698 Inhabitants of Southold
      1698 Mamaroneck Census
      Land Owners in Mamaroneck, Westchester Co. Prior to 1700
      1763 Freeholders Mamaroneck

      Please see http://olivetreegenealogy.com/nn/census/ for a
      long list of census and census substitutes for New
      Netherland/NY

      Olive Tree hosted databases and records are indicated with
      my little Olive Tree button. :-)

      All others are off-site.

      For all other New Netherland/New York records on Olive Tree,
      and links to offsite databases, see

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/nn/

      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

      FREEBIES

      I always like something that's a bargain (or free!) and I've been
      watching to see what I could share with you. This week it is
      Genealogy.com's 14-day Free Trial.

      Basic Membership, valued at $69.99, is yours free during this 14-day
      trial.

      During your free 14-day trial, you have access to Genealogy Library,
      Genealogy.com's growing database of names and records spanning five
      centuries. This will help you find your ancestors in:

      • Birth, marriage, death, military and other records.
      • Nearly 2,000 family histories.
      • Census indexes from all 50 states and actual images for a
      majority of the 1850 U.S. Census.

      I've put a link online at

      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ancestry14dayfree.html

      This page has other free offers from subscription database companies,
      and this is where I will add offers as I find them.

      You can also just go to any of my Olive Tree pages
      http://olivetreegenealogy.com/index.shtml and look on the left hand
      side for the small picture that says "Genealogy.com Membership"
      and "Free Trial" in red. Click on the picture to start your free
      trial.

      Those who have shared emails on genealogy with me will remember my
      never-ending search for the PEER family - thanks to this Free Trial I
      found more information on them.

      So, that's all for this week. Have fun, and I hope you find an
      ancestor or two!