Old Reader Kaput and other genealogy news

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2013
      Old Reader is going private in the next two weeks. So if you switched to
      Old Reader as your solution to Google Reader being canned, you need to find
      another one. Here are the details on Old Reader Blog as to why and when
      they are closing Old Reader to the public "Desperate Times Call For
      Desperate Measures" <http://blog.theoldreader.com/>

      If you are looking for a new RSS Reader here's a few you might want to take
      a look at:

      *NewsBlur.com <http://newsblur.com/>:* Right now they are not accepting
      free accounts. I tried to sign up this morning and there are 2100 people
      waiting ahead of me for a free account. For $24.00 a year you can get a
      premium account immediately. Free accounts have a cap of 64 sites. I may
      try this one as the demo looked like it would do what I want.

      *Feedly.com <http://feedly.com/>*: This is pretty popular and it synched
      Google Reader feeds seamlessly before Google Reader was canned. I'm on
      Feedly but have to admit I'm looking for a replacement. It is the most
      popular of RSS Readers but it just doesn't suit my needs.

      *Pulse: <https://www.pulse.me/>* I use Pulse on my iPad and I really like
      it. It's more visually oriented than most readers but for iPad use I like

      *NetVibes.com*: <http://netvibes.com/> I signed up for a free account on
      NetVibes this morning. It's easy to set up, you pick a topic of your own
      choice or one of their popular ones, and NetVibes starts creating a
      dashboard for you. After it created my Genealogy topic, it pulled in
      hundreds of news stories, blogs and videos for me. Don't worry, you can
      import specific blogs or websites. So far I am really liking NetVibes

      IronReader <http://amitdhamu.com/ironreader/>: This RSS Reader is getting
      some good press. I haven't tried it so can't comment but you may want to
      check it out.
      * ******************************

      On the home front, we have 6 new pot-belly piglets born to our group. They
      are 3 days old. I'm putting a video online today on the OliveTreeGenealogy
      YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/OliveTreeGenealogy

      Some recent articles that may be of interest are:

      Finding an Ancestor in Early Ontario Land Records
      on finding an ancestor in early Ontario (aka Upper Canada aka Canada
      West)? This should be helpful
      Case #18: T. Kelly WW1 American Soldier's Dog Tag
      is a very cool case, the dog tags were found by an 18 year old
      teenager and he wrote to me for help finding out about the soldier who lost
      them! We now think the soldier's name might be Orly T. Kelly from Missouri.
      1911 U.K. Census Free to Search July-October
      Looking for ancestors in England? This is a valuable tool and it's free for
      everyone until October

      Who Do You Think You Are? Season 4 Episode
      last Tuesday. Tonight is a new session with Christine Applegate.

      Lorine McGinnis Schulze

      Follow genealogy news on my blog
      Find me on Twitter http://twitter.com/LorineMS
      Google+ at https://profiles.google.com/OliveTreeGenealogy