Old Search vs New Search - Your Chance to Submit Feedback

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2 6:41 PM
      Olive Tree Genealogy was recently invited to participate in a Conference
      Call with Ancestry.com <http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-713921-10623042> and
      a few other bloggers to discuss New Search. It was a very educational call
      and our input was listened to. We also were given the opportunity to
      participate in the Product Development Team's ideas for improvements in
      their Search Engine.

      As many of you know there has been much wailing and gnashing of teeth over
      Old Search being "replaced" by New Search. Users of Old Search have
      expressed their displeasure. In my opinion a lot of the complaints stem,
      not from logic, but from emotional responses to change.

      Many of us dislike change. We often have a great deal of time invested in
      learning a certain way of doing something. When that changes the natural
      reaction is to be ticked - *"all that time and I like how it works!"*

      But change is often a GOOD thing! Change can mean we are getting something
      better or getting something that will ADD to the experience of the old.

      I also noticed that many of those objecting to New Search have not given it
      a fair trial. In fact one user told me that it was the "*perception*" that
      New Search would not give the same results or be as "*good*" as Old Search
      that had her riled. But *perception* is not knowledge. By knowledge I mean
      the knowledge that comes with trying New Search for a period of time and
      comparing the results with those you obtained with Old Search. I urge those
      of my readers who are upset about New Search to give it a try, you might
      find you prefer it!

      The Product Team at
      Ancestry.com<http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-713921-10623042>also sent
      me this email which may help alleviate fears of Old Search users.
      It is important that we all submit feedback as Ancestry.com has requested.
      This is how we can help the product developers work WITH us for a top-notch
      experience when we research.

      *In an effort to continually improve your experience on Ancestry.com, we
      are asking for feedback<http://ancestry.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_8ubNXU8IiQcxqVD>
      on our search function. Our plan is first to gather feedback from our core
      users. We will take all of that feedback into account when we are merging
      the functionality of Old Search and current search into a consolidated
      search experience.*
      * *

      * *
      *You can take the survey here: http://ancestry.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_
      8ubNXU8IiQcxqVD*
      * *

      * *
      *Many of the recent concerns and comments have cited functionality that
      actually exists in current search, as well as in old search � specifically:*
      * *

      * *

      1. *Our current search experience allows users to view search results as
      a list of ranked records or as a consolidated list of categories.*
      2. *Our current search experience allows users to do �Exact Match�
      searches.*
      3. *Our current search experience allows users to specify a �Collection
      Priority� to filter results by country.*

      * *

      * *
      *Crista Cowan has a great educational video which demonstrates this
      functionality in the current search experience: http://www.youtube.com/
      watch?v=c423yU5Ccs0*
      * *

      * *
      *We also have a helpful article which does a side-by-side explanation of
      how to achieve the same types of results with the current search as in Old
      Search: http://ancestry.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5569/kw/old*
      * *

      * *
      *Thank you,*