What's Happening in the Genealogy Community This Week

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20 10:05 AM
      Hello everyone

      I've been under the weather for a few weeks but good news a few days ago
      perked me up! My youngest son and wife are expecting another boy and this
      will make grandchild #10 for me (14 if we add in my step-grandchildren). I'm
      very excited and relieved that the most recent ultrasound revealed the baby
      is healthy and earlier signs of a possible disorder were incorrect.

      Here's some of what's been happening in the Genealogy Community over the
      past week.

      On my Olive Tree Genealogy Blog at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com I
      wrote about the following:

      *Finding More Details From Y-DNA Test Results* - Continuing my DNA journey
      with my brother's Y-DNA testing

      *Foundling Swatches: Bits of Cloth Tell a Sad Story...* - Babies left in the
      Foundling Hospital in the 1700s have tokens and bits of threadbare cloth
      pinnned to their clothing as a way for mothers to identify them later
      *
      Press Release about Footnote.com Changes* - A name change that no one likes
      and the genealogy world is buzzing about this
      *
      Small World Experiment (6 Degrees of Separation)* - Yahoo and Facebook team
      up for an interesting social experiment that you can take part in
      *
      Interview With Hudson Gunn of Legacy Markers* - Legacy Markers to
      memorialize your loved ones. I am intruigued by the concept so I sat down
      for a talk with the creator.

      *Webinar: Google+ the Next Big Thing* - The 3 big names (Paul Allen, Dan
      Lynch and Mark Olsen) give a Legacy.com Webinar on Google+. Yours truly was
      an invited guest in Mark Olsen's portion. If you missed it, you may still be
      able to catch it in the Legacy.com archives (Link provided on my blog)
      *
      Cemetery Walk: Cochrane Catholic Cemetery* - Another Cemetery walk, this one
      courtesy of Jim Rye. 1400 photos to be put online, I'm working on them as
      fast as I can

      *Sharing Memories (Week 33): My Grandpa Was an Ape* - I hope you're joining
      us every Sunday for our Sharing Memories, A Genealogy Journal. I provide a
      topic and you write either privately or as a comment on my blog post on that
      topic. It's all about your memories for your descendants so please join us!
      *
      Featured Photo: CDV of Mrs. Joseph Curtis 1862* - A beautiful example of a
      Civil War era woman in the height of fashion. From my personal collection.

      Next week I will be visiting my 89 year old auntie to record her memoirs. I
      can hardly wait. Not only do I have a new device for doing this (an Echo
      Smart Pen. See http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/search/label/SmartPen)
      but my auntie remembers details like you wouldn't believe. I am
      excited to
      hear her stories and actually record them! So watch for my blog post later
      in the week which will show readers how my Smart Pen works and what my day
      with auntie was like.

      Happy Genealogy Hunting

      Lorine McGinnis Schulze

      Follow my genealogy updates on my blog